Thirty 80's Movies You Need to Watch and Why

"Life Moves Pretty Fast..." so watch these movies

141
91x

A lot of people probably think of the 80s as tacky and horrible, filled with some of the worst fashion choices and cheesiest movies of all time. WRONG. Except for the shoulder pads because what the hell? The 1980s produced some of the best films still to this date because they had some of the most original ideas, best story lines, talented young actors, and iconic soundtracks. They could be silly, funny, incredibly creepy, charming and sweet, or simply just have a ridiculous plot line because that's what this decade was all about anyway. These movies also incorporated some of the most important and controversial issues during that time into the movies that really sent a message to viewers back then, and still do today.

1. Pretty in Pink

Ridiculous high school parties, tacky prom dresses, and clothes that look like they're from Miami Vice. What more could there be you ask? Molly Ringwald standing up for herself. She changes for no man. That and John Cryer as the goofy Duckie makes it hard not to love him and his spontaneous dance number.

2. E. T. the Extra Terrestrial

A precious story about a young boy and his odd, yet incredible friendship with his alien friend. You can't help but love it. Also depicts the U.S. government in a way that you can still imagine today: intrusive and presumptuous.

3. Ghostbusters

Nevermind the 2016 remake (although I love Kristen Wiig). The original is where it's at. While the special effects used might be laughable now to some, it's still one of the best movies ever. Some ghosts flying around causing chaos in 1980s New York City that can only be stopped by an unusual pairing of a quantum studies nerd, parapsychologist specialist, and a cynical, self loving psychologist. Where else could you watch a giant marshmallow man stomp around the city? Plus the chemistry between Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, and Bill Murray is one of the finest. (Possibly Murray's funniest role.)

4. Beetlejuice

Everything that could embody an 80's movie. Silly, eccentric, funny, and yet still dark and sometimes creepy. One of Tim Burton's best. Plus, if you don't appreciate Michael Keaton's acting to this role you need to reevaluate your taste in entertainment.

5. Princess Bride

A sweet and thrilling story for any age. One of the best features is that it's about love other than that of between the main characters Buttercup and Westley. And it'll give plenty you of quotable lines for the rest of your life and teach you to never go against a Sicilian.

6.Top Gun

A really good Tom Cruise action movie before he jumped on Oprah's couch and freaked everybody out.

7. 9 to 5

A movie that teaches us not to be a sexist pig that treats their coworkers like dirt, especially not to mess with the best three either, which includes Dolly Parton.

8. The Goonies

Steven Spielberg delivers the best film about a group of neighborhood friends on a quest to find some lost treasure. If you ever had silly or dangerous adventures with your friends when you were young then you must see this. Bonus: Truffle Shuffle and a young Josh Brolin.

9. Friday the 13th

Could still be one of the best horror movies to date. The entire film shows a group of senseless, horny or drunken camp counselors getting picked off one by one in the creepy woods, without even showing you who the killer is until the end, leaving it up to the imagination of the viewer how scary they are.

10. Beverly Hills Cop

One of Eddie Murphy's best roles that sends a message to everyone that you can transcend race.

11. Dirty Dancing

I'll say this right away: if you haven't seen this yet, stop reading and go watch it. Sexy, romantic, yet still sends a message about feminism. Perfect. And several shirtless scenes of Patrick Swayze.

12. Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Everyone always dreams of the most exciting and perfect day, or at least how they spend it skipping school. Watch how a young Chicago teen, his girlfriend, and his downtrodden self-diagnosing best friend ditch school and spend the day running around the city, getting into fancy restaurants and taking over a parade downtown, all without getting caught.

13. Breakfast Club

One of John Hughes' best creations: a group of misunderstood high school students ("a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess, and a criminal") get stuck in detention for doing something ridiculous or just being ridiculous, somehow realize they're more alike than they thought. Seriously, everyone needs to see this.

14. The 'Burbs

Dark, creepy, but definitely a funny story about those neighbors no one seems to know a thing about, until some unwarranted snooping leads to trouble.

15. Footloose

A young Kevin Bacon teaches an entirely too conservative town how to dance again. Classic.

16. The Shining

One of Stephen King's creepiest stories about how isolation in an old haunted hotel really does make you go crazy.

Bonus: You'll finally understand that "Here's Johnny!" reference that everyone uses for the wrong reasons.

17. Big

Tom Hanks plays a boardwalk game where he wishes he were an adult only to discover he liked how he was. The toy store scene will definitely make you feel like a kid again.

18. Back to the Future

The first movie to show you how messing with the past (or future) can really mess things up bad in the present. Charming teenager, odd but lovable scientist, and gadgets that are "far out!" Also, it shows how important the way in which your parents met was.

19. Karate Kid

You'll learn the importance of doing the simplest of chores and jobs, all with the greatest amount of patience possible.

20. Scarface

Al Pacino as Tony Montana, head of a drug organization, addicted to cocaine, and violence. How 80s.

21. Platoon

Oliver Stone's story about how the Vietnam War's biggest causality is innocence.

22. Stand By Me

Another incredible Stephen King adaptation AND one about a group of young friends going off on a dangerous adventure away from home, to find a dead body. Watching the four young boys talk about and do while they're by themselves will have you missing your childhood.

23. Do the Right Thing

A groundbreaking and intense Spike Lee film that focuses on racial issues within Brooklyn during the late 80s. A surprising hit considering it was an independent film.

24. Die Hard

A full head of hair Bruce Willis fighting against twelve terrorists, that also gave the world so many one liners. Very original. Plus, alan Rickman (a.k.a. Severus Snape) is one of the villains.

25. The Blues Brothers

Sent on a mission from God to save the Catholic orphanage they grew up in by the power of good music. And some good dance moves. No other musical- crime-comedy quite like it.

26. The Lost Boys

A group of biker vampires appearing as teenagers peer pressure the new kid in town to terrorize and kill innocent civilians. The only ones that can stop them are a totally 80s teenager and his geeky friends.

27. The Outsiders

A greaser type looking group of buddies/brothers from rural Oklahoma are increasingly at odds against a rivalry group known as the Socs. An interesting and real depiction of poor teens from the wrong side of the tracks.

28. Say Anything

Charming and romantic. One of the best romance/ high school movies to date. But just as important to note is that the male lead exhibits some feminist values by being in full support and dedication to the female lead's dreams and aspirations, no matter where it takes her. It also changed the way women expect the man they love to win them back after a breakup: be a man, and play "In Your Eyes" on a boom-box outside of their bedroom window at dawn.

29. Risky Business

Tom Cruise shows you how to live your life and make some money when your parents are away for the weekend, and still make it into Princeton even though you ran a brothel from home. Nbd. Plus, if you've ever seen it before then you'll finally understand why some girls dress up in oversized button shirts and long socks for Halloween.

30. Tootsie

Very feminist feeling. Shows how being a woman is actually pretty great.