8 Must-see Musical Films

8 Must-see Musical Films

Grab your hairspray and grease because we're traveling across the universe to the Moulin Rouge with the angel of music

23
8 Must-see Musical Films
pixabay

I want to start off by saying that I never considered myself to be a fan of musicals until very recently. A rendition of My Fair Lady is the closest I got to immersing myself in musical theater, and that was an experience I didn’t enjoy: it takes too long for characters to get to the point and there are so many songs about the stupidest little things. I don’t need a whole choreographed hit to describe your trip the grocery store. My everlasting impatience is something I’m trying to work on in the new year.

But that was the old me, way back when I still oogled Edward Cullen from Twilight and couldn’t dare to be seen in public with my parents. I like to believe that I have grown since then and have acquired different tastes. If you read an article of mine from a few weeks ago, you’ll know that this past semester I took an acting class and now have an immense admiration for the arts and theater. If I thought basic acting was hard, imagine how difficult it is to put on an actual production: making sure people are hitting their marks and know their lines, choreography, lighting, setting, music. There is so much that goes into a show and I would absolutely love to go see some more, particularly musicals.

For some reason, I’ve been watching a lot of musicals since I’ve come home for winter break. This is strange because I have a love/hate relationship with them. And while I’m not

that willing to pay hundreds of dollars to go see a live show, I can indulge in musical films and still appreciate the artistry that goes into it. So even though I’ve seen High School Music hundreds of times and The Sound of Music not once, here’s a small list of great musical films from a person that’s not that into musicals.

1. Singin’ in the Rain- Welcome to 1920’s Hollywood! This film follows Don Lockwood, a popular actor with a slightly big ego, as he and the movie industry transition from silent films into “talkies”. Along the way, he and his best friend Cosmo meet sassy showgirl Kathy Selden (played by Debbie Reynolds, may she rest in peace) and together, they work to produce the greatest talkie film of all time. This movie made up childhood and the musical numbers in it are iconic. From the giddy choreography in “Make em’ Laugh” to the cheery tune of “Good Morning”, this movie should be on everyone’s bucket list.

2. Hairspray- I’m obsessed with the 1960s, which is probably why I was drawn to this musical. This movie follows Tracy Turnblad and her passion for music/dance. She teams up with “negroes” (sorry for that horrid and derogatory term) and together, they strive to break down barriers of segregation and normality. These teens firmly believe that everyone, (regardless of race, gender, size, etc) should have the right to sing and dance. This film contains Zac Efron, Amanda Bynes (pre-drug haze), Queen Latifah, and John Travolta dressed as a woman. What more could you want?

3. The Rocky Horror Picture Show- This one is by far the weirdest one on this list. A sweet transvestite, a man in tiny gold shorts, aliens, scientists, and high sex drives? Check. This film follows Brad and Janet, the picture perfect couple, as they navigate a night in Frankenstein castle after their car breaks down in the rain. Little do they know that a mysterious creature runs the night and the less the clothing you wear, the better. The plot of this movie is very strange and hard to follow, but the music definitely makes up for the confusion. From “Science Fiction/Double Feature” (my favorite) to “Touch-a, Touch-a, Touch-a, Touch Me”, these hits are unforgettable. There are even shows thrown together by fans all around the country. And the pelvic thrusts will drive you insane.

4. Mamma Mia!- ABBA. Greece. A wedding. This is such a sweet tale and everyone should watch the movie at least once to see how the flavors of the 70s dance with the Grecian breeze. This story follows Sophie and the time period around her wedding. All she wants is her father to walk her down the aisle, except there’s one problem: she doesn’t know who he is. She comes across her mother’s diary and invites the three men mentioned in it to her wedding, hoping one of them is her dad. Enjoy some fun in the Grecian sun with this hit musical-turned-movie. It stars Meryl Streep and if she tells you anything, that means it’s good.

5. Across the Universe- Once again, my love for the 1960s has manifested itself into this movie, and the fact that it contains all Beatles songs makes it 100x better. Meet Jude, a man from Liverpool who sets out on a journey to America to find his father. Along the way he befriends Max, a college dropout and the two move to New York City together. Along the way, Jude falls for Max’s sister Lucy and with their large group of friends, they immerse themselves in love, peace, happiness, and beauty in the hay days of activism while the Vietnam War across the sea is anything but that. Of all the 200+ songs The Beatles wrote, many of them are features in this film. Prepare to cry, laugh, sing, and tap into your soul because love is all you need.

6. Moulin Rouge!- Meet Christian, a writer making his way through the Bohemian Revolution in 1900s Paris. During his time in the city of love, he enters the Moulin Rouge, a cabaret club where the rich come to watch the shameless dance in tulle, fishnets, and sequins. Christian soon meets Satine, the most beautiful of the dancers, and the two fall in love. There’s only one problem: she has to be in a relationship with someone else to keep the Moulin Rouge running. It’s actually quite entertaining to see how songs like “Smells like Teen Spirit” and “Like a Virgin” fit into a 1900s Paris scenario. We also cannot ignore the fact that the iconic cover of “Lady Marmalade” by Christina Aguilera, Pink, Lil Kim, Missy Elliot, and Mya was made for this movie.

7. Grease- If you haven’t seen this one, we need to talk. Welcome to 1950s Rydell High School. Pink ladies. T birds. Poodle Skirts. Leather jackets. This movie stars John Travolta and Olivia Newton John as Danny and Sandy, and follows the ups and down of their relationship through their senior year of high school. The songs in this movie are iconic and it will make you feel just a tad nostalgic for your senior year of high school. Grease is the word.

8. The Phantom of the Opera- At last, we reach my favorite musical. I’m not quite sure what it is that draws me in: the sultry mystery of the phantom, how each song flows beautiful into the next, Christine’s adorable curls, the heart-breaking love triangle. This takes place in 1861 Paris, at the Opera Populaire. Christine Daae is an opera star on the rise, and to what does she owe her success? Her mysterious music teacher that lies within the walls of the opera house. She believes it’s the angel of music, a figure her father mentioned before he passed. But it’s actually The Phantom of the Opera, a disfigured man who uses Christine as his muse for his music. Obsession, murder, love, heartache, and masks. You will fall in love with the music of the night, along with darkness this film contains.