16 Things I'll Remember About 2016

16 Things I'll Remember About 2016

Memories: hold them tight.

8
16 Things I'll Remember About 2016
Katelyn Hampu

So most of these things will only apply to me (and some loved ones of mine), but I think it's pretty cool to see the sweet things people have done throughout the year, and I decided to share some of my 2016 highlights as well.

1. Having red hair then purple hair then cutting my hair and now forever still missing my long hair

2. Giving my boyfriend the best (anniversary) gift I've ever given someone- a box filled with 365 notes. I'm still super proud of this gift.

I loved seeing his reaction, and I'll probably never forget it. I highly recommend this gift idea to anyone, although it is super time consuming (advice: plan ahead). It was so cool seeing his reaction and also looking back at the memories I had with him. It was super time consuming, but it was so worth it.

3. Going on a cruise to the Bahamas with my family

This cruise sparked an adventure drive in me. I'm not entirely sure why, but it did, so now I just want to travel (and I did a lot this past summer). It was a remarkable, beautiful experience, and it also gave me some time to relax (which I don't give that to myself a whole lot, so it was nice). It was nice escaping reality for a bit. We didn't have cell service, so you truly focused on the things around you and just had some time away from everything which was great.

4. My Junior Shadowing (career shadowing) at the ADAMHS board

A requirement for my school is to do a career shadowing experience for 3 days. For my career shadowing project, I shadowed at the ADAMHS board. It was a great learning experience for me, and it made me even more passionate for mental health services (which is what I am going into career wise). It was a good start to a new beginning for me, since, for me, college and future planning has been on my mind quite a bit, so my time at the ADAMHS board made me super excited to get started on this new adventure of mine.

5. My first job change and "big girl" decision

That was stressful, but it was such a good change for me.

6. The Cavs winning the championship

I wasn't expecting them to win, I really wasn't. It was a shock, it all happened so quickly, and I'll never forget it.

7. Going to Disney World

Over the summer, I went to Disney World with my brother's baseball team for their baseball tournament. It was a cool experience, and it brought the kid out in me. It reminded me to not take things so seriously all the time. On top of that, it was a great (sometimes stressful and annoying) family bonding time for me, too. My aunt had recently moved for her job, so this vacation had the whole family gang together. With her living far away, we don't get to see her (my uncle or cousin) much, which is quite an adjustment being that we used to live 5 minutes away from each other. This vacation was great because it gave me time spent with them, which is time I often don't get anymore since they moved.

8. Going down to South Carolina with my boyfriend and his family for a week.

Again with the traveling... I am very very grateful for this experience. My take away from my vacations have been centered around my time with the people I was with, and this applies here, too. I got to know his family more, and I became closer to them, too, which was nice.

9. Getting my first tattoo

I've been wanting this tattoo for the past 3 years, and I finally got it. This tattoo means so much for me because it serves as a reminder to myself to not give into urges, it's a symbol of how much progress I've made, and it also reminds me of why I want to go into mental health services.

10. Senior Year beginning and all the memories that followed it

I can't even begin to describe the beginning of Senior year. I go to a great school with great friends, and I'm going to miss them so much. While I'm excited to start this new path coming up way too soon, I'm going to miss SJA so much. This school has truly shaped me into the woman I am and the woman I'm going to become in the future. I've learned so many life lessons there, and I've learned so much about myself from going there, too. I'll never forget my time there or the people I will soon to be graduating with.

11. Going to Niagara Falls

I just love nature so much. It's so beautiful.

12. Having major surgery done for my condition of achalasia

Just don't take the small things for granted, all right. This experience oddly humbled me.

13. The never ending election

Can we all agree on the fact that this election was probably the worst one in history and was extremely stressful and annoying? I was more excited about the election ending than full recovery from surgery. It was the first election I actually paid attention, too since I can vote soon, and we discussed it a lot during government class, but to be completely honest, I miss the days when I didn't have to pay attention to politics because they're pretty annoying and bring out the stupidity and ignorance in people. Sorry for being blunt. This isn't a thing I'm looking forward to in my adult years, though, that's for sure.

14. The Cleveland Indians being in the World Series

This was a great bonding experience for me with my dad, and it was also cool to see how everyone in Cleveland came together. I'm very fortunate to have experienced this.

15. Reading "Mere Christianity"

by C.S. Lewis

It was truly a life-changing book, and it helped my faith a lot. I hope I can apply what I read into how I live.

16. Being accepted onto the Youth Advisory Board for ADAMHS

I cried tears of joy. I'm so excited for this opportunity, and I can't wait to see what we can accomplish together. I'm looking forward to meeting new people and to (hopefully) making a difference in the world.