16 Things 2016 Has Taught Me

16 Things 2016 Has Taught Me

2016 has taught me about life, love, relationships, and happiness.

20
16 Things 2016 Has Taught Me
travel + leisure

A lot has happened on 2016; there's been a lot of laughs, a lot of tears, and a lot of moments that helped shape us this year. Here's a list of things that 2016 has taught me about life, love, relationships, and happiness.

1. Someone is always watching and waiting to see you fail or mess up. As long as you do the right thing, they'll have nothing bad to point out.

2. Have faith in humanity. For every wrong there are a hundred rights, they just aren't always reported or captured.

3. Hate is a powerful word and feeling. There's too much of it in the world and just a simple act of kindness can change it all.

4. You're not meant to fix people. You are meant to accept and love them.

5. Always take a leap of faith. Sometimes you need to get out of your comfort zone, and there are times where it's worth it. You won't know until you give it a shot and try it. Life's so boring if you play it safe.

6. You will get hurt; it's inevitable. That doesn't mean you lose trust in every person you meet, let alone the ones you already have in your life. Not everyone will be trustworthy, but not everyone will hurt you either.

7. It's okay to cry, it's okay to laugh; it's okay to love and to be happy, to be sad and angry. We're humans, we have feelings. You're supposed to feel certain ways in certain situations. You're not weak, you're strong enough to allow yourself to feel things and express them.

8. It's important to give others a second chance. We all grow and change a lot throughout life, let alone in a year. You never know who might surprise you by the way they have changed.

9. Be able to live in the moment for once. We spend so much time documenting the best times of our lives that we forget to live them. Take a picture and then dance the night away.

10. Your family will always be there for you unconditionally. They'll tell you the truth and you have to take it where it's coming from. Not many other people will be that honest with you or want the best for you.

11. Not everyone is going to like you. Stop trying to impress them and focus on making yourself happy.

12. Get rid of the negativity from your life. You don't need it and you don't deserve it; think "good vibes only". Be happy, and don't let anyone or anything come between you and your happiness.

13. Never give up on someone or something you love.

14. Don't forget where you belong; don't forget your roots. Be proud of who you are and where you're from. After all, you are one of a kind.

15. People are gonna be mean and cruel in this world. Kill 'em with kindness. After all, it takes more effort to be mean than it does to be kind.

16. You never know what someone else is going through. You just have to respect the fact that we all have our battles in life. Some are easy, some are not. Some people are having a hard time getting through them. At the end of the day, remind them that you're there for them no matter what. We all cope, deal, and manage in different ways-- doesn't make us right or wrong.