16 Binge-Worthy Shows To Watch In 2016

16 Binge-Worthy Shows To Watch In 2016

Netflixing (v.) -- The act of watching an entire show in one sitting; a completely valid excuse to avoid any responsibilities.

168
16 Binge-Worthy Shows To Watch In 2016
IFC

1. "The X-Files" (1993-2002; 2016)

Where to watch: FOX, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime
Starring: Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny
Number of seasons: Nine (44 minute episodes) with two movies and FOX’s six-episode revival in January 2016

A cult classic relic from the ‘90s that also happens to be getting its own six-episode revival on FOX starting January 24. Spanning nine seasons, the show follows Special Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully working for the FBI. Mulder is a believer in aliens and the paranormal after the disappearance of his sister as a child. Scully by contrast is a skeptic, and is a forensic doctor assigned to work alongside Mulder and provide scientific explanations for his work on the “X-Files.” X-Files are special, unsolved FBI cases, many of which relate to paranormal activity. It’s more than just crime drama, though. It also explores government conspiracy in attempts at hiding the existence of extraterrestrial phenomena. But the contrast between Scully’s more serious demeanor and Mulder’s cynicism will keep you coming back for more.

2. "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" (2013-present)

Where to watch: FOX, Hulu
Starring: Andy Samberg, Stephanie Beatriz, Terry Crews, Melissa Fumero, Joe Lo Truglio, Chelsea Peretti, Dirk Blocker, Joel McKinnon Miller, Andre Braugher
Number of seasons: Two complete, season three is currently in progress (22 minute episodes)

By now pop culture is familiar with Andy Samberg’s antics, and his newest project (to which he is a producer) “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” certainly hasn’t disappointed. Set at the (fictional) 99th Precinct in Brooklyn, this ragtag--and diverse!--team of detectives along with their captain (Braugher) and his assistant (Peretti) provide a more comedic perspective to the traditional cop show. Don’t be fooled by Samberg’s extensive Hollywood repertoire; the show is far from being “The Life of Andy Samberg as a Cop Show.” Plus, Braugher’s deadpan is the perfect contrast to Samberg’s more frat-boy style. The show’s diversity in both gender, race, sexuality, and personality makes the characters more nuanced. And hey, the writing is pretty fantastic, too.

3. "Portlandia" (2011-present)

Where to watch: IFC, Netflix
Starring: Carrie Brownstein and Fred Armisen
Number of seasons: Five, season six starts January 21 (22 minute episodes)

The best way to describe this satirical sketch comedy is if “SNL” hired that one guy in every coffee shop that ironically wears a Joy Division t-shirt he found at Goodwill. You won’t find any Joy Division shirts, but you will find genius comedy making fun of that guy. The sketches are portrayed by Brownstein (who is best known for her musical career and recently-off-hiatus indie rock band Sleater-Kinney) and Armisen (who was a cast member of “SNL” for 11 seasons) in various areas around Portland, Oregon. Whether it’s the gender-bending Nina and Lance, parodying the hipsters floating around Portland, commercials for strange products, or shopping at a feminist bookstore, there’s no denying Brownstein and Armisen’s creativity and dynamic.

4. "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" (2015-present)

Where to watch: Netflix
Starring: Ellie Kemper, Tituss Burgess, Carol Kane, Jane Krakowski
Number of seasons: One, season two is expected by Spring 2016 (22 minute episodes)

This new post-“30 Rock” Tina Fey project arrived perfectly wrapped in our Netflix accounts last spring. A charming and one-of-a-kind sitcom about 29-year-old Kimmy Schmidt who never got a start on her adult life. Kimmy spent 15 years in an underground bunker with three other women--known as the “Indiana Mole Women”--after they were convinced by a reverend (played by Jon Hamm) that they escaped the end of the world. Once they were found, Kimmy decided after an interview on a morning talk show to stay in New York and start her life over. After finding a roommate, getting a job, and starting the process of getting her GED, the show follows the quirky antics of Kimmy and her new friends. Despite being a lighthearted comedy, the show has discussed race, gender, and other issues but without sacrificing its charm.

5. "Twin Peaks" (1990-1991; 2017)

Where to watch: Netflix, Showtime (revival coming in 2017)
Starring: Kyle MacLachlan, Michael Ontkean, Mädchen Amick, Dana Ashbrook, Richard Beymer, Lara Flynn Boyle, Sherilyn Fenn, Warren Frost, Peggy Lipton, James Marshall, Everett McGill, Jack Nance, Ray Wise, Joan Chen, Piper Laurie, Kimmy Robertson, Eric Da Re, Harry Goaz, Michael Horse, Sheryl Lee, Russ Tamblyn, Kenneth Welsh
Number of seasons: Two complete, revival coming to Showtime (44 minute regular episodes, pilot and season 2 premiere are 90 minutes), one movie

Who killed Laura Palmer? That’s the question FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper is attempting to answer for us in this pre-“X-Files” crime drama. Set in the small logging town of Twin Peaks, Washington, Laura Palmer’s murder has shaken the whole town. Her death subsequently became the catalyst for the events occurring on the show. Although an unfortunately short-lived series, “Twin Peaks” displays how nuanced a small town can be, even if on the surface it seems innocent and homely. But, fans will be able to get a chance to visit the town again, as Showtime has confirmed that many of the cast members will return for a limited revival of the series in 2017. Who knows what the town of Twin Peaks has been up to in the last 25 years?

6. "How I Met Your Mother" (2005-2014)

Where to watch: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Lifetime (in syndication)
Starring: Josh Radnor, Jason Segel, Cobie Smulders, Neil Patrick Harris, Alyson Hannigan, Cristin Milioti
Number of seasons: Nine

You better suit up and take a seat on Ted Mosby’s couch if you want to hear about how he met the mother of his children. Arguably, the show wasn’t one of the best in the last decade as it consistently received mixed reviews during its nine-year tenure (and if you’ve watched the series, you know the ending was far from impressive). But rest assured, watching the series from start to finish gives you the same feeling as finishing your favorite book. Ted Mosby is your typical nice guy trying to make it as an architect in New York. The story of Ted, however, starts in the year 2030 when he decides to share with his kids how he met their mother. He’s joined with his pack of other seemingly average 20-somethings making it in the big city. The show has many of its own problems (lack of diversity, reincarnation of overused tropes, and some characters are more bland than others), but your connection to the characters will keep you going throughout each season.

7. "The Office" (U.S. Version) (2005-2013)

Where to watch: Netflix
Starring: Steve Carell, Rainn Wilson, John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer, B. J. Novak, Ed Helms, Melora Hardin, David Denman, Leslie David Baker, Brian Baumgartner, Creed Bratton, Kate Flannery, Mindy Kaling, Ellie Kemper, Angela Kinsey, Paul Lieberstein, Oscar Nunez, Craig Robinson, Phyllis Smith, Zach Woods, Amy Ryan, James Spader, Catherine Tate, Clark Duke, Jake Lacy
Number of seasons: Nine (22 minute episodes)

The mockumentary that changed how we consume comedy, and paved the way for more shows like it. An Americanized version of Ricky Gervais’s creation in the U.K., “The Office” took a basic setting and characters and utilized its averageness with impeccable writing. Everyday working class people relate to its quirkiness. The smalltown setting of Scranton, Pennsylvania resonates with the the real-life citizens of Smalltown, U.S.A. From Jim’s pranks on Dwight, to Michael Scott’s unconventional management tactics, to the subtle differences in each character, there’s no denying the originality and relatability presented throughout its nine seasons.

8. "Parks and Recreation" (2009-2015)

Where to watch: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu; NBC, WGN, FXX (in syndication)
Starring: Amy Poehler, Rashida Jones, Paul Schneider, Aziz Ansari, Nick Offerman, Aubrey Plaza, Chris Pratt, Adam Scott, Rob Lowe, Jim O'Heir, Retta, Billy Eichner
Number of seasons: Seven total (six on Netflix/Amazon, season seven on Hulu/NBC.com) (22 minute episodes)

Perhaps one of the most underhandedly influential shows in the last decade is another “SNL” alum’s primetime television debut. “Parks and Recreation” was speculated to be a direct spinoff of “The Office,” until creator Greg Daniels decided to try something completely different. The one similarity to its predecessor is the mockumentary style--this gives a more realistic perspective into the life of a local government bureaucrat. But “Parks” follows the life of Leslie Knope (Poehler), deputy director of the Department of Parks and Recreation in the fictional town of Pawnee, Indiana. Each character has their quirks, and it’s one of--if not the most--diverse casts without playing into racial stereotypes. It’s another seemingly boring set that proves even government employees have their flaws; but there’s certainly no sacrifice of comedy.

9. "Master of None" (2015-present)

Where to watch: Netflix
Starring: Aziz Ansari, Noel Wells, Eric Wareheim, Kelvin Yu, Lena Waithe, H. Jon Benjamin
Number of seasons: One (22 minute episodes)

In his post-“Parks and Recreation” endeavors, Aziz Ansari may have created one of the most genius and realistic millennial productions this decade. None of the comedy is forced into the previous generation’s mold for millennials, nor is it trying to be ~hip with the kids~. Your dad probably won’t like this show, but if you’re a millennial with a taste for humoring your own life struggles, give this a watch. The show details the struggles of making in the big city; a plot popularized by “Seinfeld,” “Friends,” and “How I Met Your Mother.” Not the most original setting. But what separates the aforementioned is an Indian-American protagonist and a more realistic career path. Sorry, Ted Mosby, but most 20-somethings are not successful architects. Most 20-somethings will relate to Dev (Ansari) following his dream but in intermittent strides. Oh, and did I mention the writing is brilliant? To read more about “Master of None”’s importance, check out this piece by a fellow VCU Odyssey writer.

10. "Skins" (U.K. Version) (2007-2013)

Where to watch: Netflix
Starring: Kaya Scodelario, Nicholas Hoult, Hannah Murray, Jack O’Connell, Joe Dempsie, Kathryn Prescott, Luke Pasqualino, Dev Patel, April Pearson, Mike Bailey, Mitch Hewer, Lily Loveless, Larissa Wilson, Megan Prescott, Dakota Blue Richards, Freya Mavor, Sean Teale, Lisa Blackwell, Alexander Arnold, Jessica Sula, Ollie Barbieri, Laya Lewis, Will Merrick, Sebastian de Souza, Merveille Lukeba
Number of seasons: Seven (Two seasons per “generation” with three generations total; seventh season set up differently) (44 minute episodes)

A widely popular British show that resonates with its audience more than its Canadian counterpart, “Degrassi.” It even got its own (rather awful and rightfully short-lived) Americanized version. But what separates this show from others like it is the fact there’s no true protagonist in each generation. Rather, each character receives their own centric episode, which displays them as both a pro- and antagonist. “Skins” tells the story of a group of misfits, popular kids, and everywhere in between during their two years at sixth form at a fictional college in Bristol, England. As the consumer, you’re only with these characters for a short 20 episodes before another generation emerges. But the show discusses everyday issues of teen angst such as sexuality, drug use, mental health, relationships, etc. without recycling storylines (yes, I am looking at you, “Degrassi”). There’s a lot to digest in every episode, but you’ll be instantly hooked.

11. "American Horror Story" (2011-present)

Where to watch: Netflix, FX
Starring: Connie Britton, Dylan McDermott, Evan Peters, Taissa Farmiga, Denis O'Hare, Jessica Lange, Zachary Quinto, Joseph Fiennes, Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe, Lizzie Brocheré, James Cromwell, Frances Conroy, Emma Roberts, Kathy Bates, Michael Chiklis, Finn Wittrock, Angela Bassett, Wes Bentley, Matt Bomer, Chloë Sevigny, Cheyenne Jackson, Lady Gaga
Number of seasons: Five (44 minute episodes)

Even if you loathe horror, gore, etc. this Ryan Murphy (you probably are familiar with his other show, “Glee”) horror anthology is one-of-a-kind. With each season, a new story is told. As you should expect, each season is a mystery and explores topics you probably never wanted to explore. What even is a “murder house?” What’s happening in that hotel, anyway? Am I also a member of a witch coven? Should I even trust nuns anymore? I’m definitely not going to the circus again. Some seasons are more disappointing than others, but in general, the writing and cast performance is very consistent.

12. "Friday Night Lights" (2006-2011)

Where to watch: Netflix, ESPN Classic (in syndication)
Starring: Kyle Chandler, Connie Britton, Gaius Charles, Zach Gilford, Minka Kelly, Adrianne Palicki, Taylor Kitsch, Jesse Plemons, Scott Porter, Aimee Teegarden, Michael B. Jordan, Jurnee Smollett, Matt Lauria, Madison Burge, Grey Damon

It was a disappointingly underrated series during its five-year run. The show struggled to gain traction on its network slot despite critical acclaim, and was ultimately moved from NBC to DirecTV until the ratings dropped low enough for cancellation. However, don’t let that stop you from watching this heart wrenching accord of how high school football runs this close-knit town in Texas. Set in the fictional town of Dillon, Texas, this drama with its ensemble cast doesn’t require a prior interest in football. The appeal of it rests within the characters. The chemistry between Coach Taylor (Chandler) and his wife Tami (Britton) is sweet and indulgent. But Coach Taylor and his family aren’t the focus; every character is given a chance to shine.

13. "Teen Wolf" (2011-present)

Where to watch: Amazon Prime, MTV
Starring: Tyler Posey, Crystal Reed, Dylan O'Brien, Tyler Hoechlin, Holland Roden, Colton Haynes, Shelley Hennig, Arden Cho, Dylan Sprayberry
Number of seasons: Four complete, season five currently in progress (44 minute episodes)

Now, hear me out. This is much different than the teen moms and Snookis you’d expect from MTV. Albeit, the title ignites your pretentious side. But, despite its problems (the writers like to leave plot holes until the season finale), this guilty pleasure is like diving into a big ol’ bowl of your favorite comfort food. It’s suspenseful, exciting, and even a bit comedic at times. And yes, it is based off the ‘80s comedy, but it separates itself by adding a darker tone. It follows your run-of-the-mill, slightly awkward high school lacrosse player who gets bitten by a werewolf. He struggles with normal teenage problems, however his are heightened by the hierarchy amongst the other wolves. The seasons are short, making it the perfect binge for anyone wishing to indulge in some were-drama.

14. "Full House" (1987-1995; 2016)

Where to watch: Nick at Nite (in syndication), Netflix (only with an internet proxy, such as “Hola Unblocker,” as the show is only on the Canadian Netflix)
Starring: John Stamos, Bob Saget, Dave Coulier, Candace Cameron, Jodie Sweetin, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, Lori Loughlin, Andrea Barber, Scott Weinger, Blake and Dylan Tuomy-Wilhoit
Number of seasons: Eight, “Fuller House” revival coming in 2016 (22 minute episodes)

America’s original First Family™ gave us eight years of laughter, tears, and timeless Danny Tanner life lessons. What makes this show a classic is no matter how many times you watch it, it always reveals something new. The show’s protagonist, the recently widowed Danny Tanner (Saget) reaches out to his brother-in-law Jesse (Stamos) and best friend Joey (Coulier) to help him raise his three daughters. As their family continues to grow the more connected the audience becomes with each character. Plus, if you’re a hardcore fan, Netflix will be providing a 13-episode revival with D.J. (Cameron) and her family. Much of the original cast will be reprising their roles.

15. "My Mad Fat Diary" (2013-2015)

Where to watch: Channel 4 (need a proxy), YouTube, various places online
Starring: Sharon Rooney, Claire Rushbrook, Ian Hart, Nico Mirallegro, Jodie Comer, Dan Cohen, Jordan Murphy, Ciara Baxendale
Number of seasons: Three (44 minute episodes)

This charming, yet underrated, British drama is short enough to binge-watch in just a few days. But, it’s almost too short because you’ll be craving more from this group of teens. It failed to attract the audience that “Skins” did, but the subject matter is much more personal. Based on the book of a similar name, the story focuses on Rae Earl (Rooney), a girl weighing 16 stone and struggling with restarting her life post-psychiatric care. Most of the show provides a lesson about issues of body image, but also how fatness is perceived during your teenage years. Rae quickly learns to not let her body define who she is as a person; rather, she relies on her compassion for others and soon realizes her friends are genuine. Outside its serious tone, you get a heaping dose of nostalgia, as the show is set during the mid-90s.

16. "30 Rock" (2006-2013)

Where to watch: Netflix, NBC
Starring: Alec Baldwin, Tina Fey, Tracy Morgan, Jack McBrayer, Jane Krakowski
Number of seasons: Seven

It was one of the first post-“SNL” success stories, probably because it was a fictionalized version of Tina Fey’s tenure as head writer. And despite Alec Baldwin never being cast on “SNL,” he certainly delivers a side of him you wouldn’t see in his movies, playing “30 Rock”’s version of Lorne Michaels. Fey’s character, Liz Lemon, is the head writer of a sketch comedy series on NBC. Liz constantly battles with babysitting her team of writers and cast members, as well as struggling with her more personal relationships. She has a horrible diet of cheese puffs and her tradition of “night cheese,” and is constantly dealing with her nosy NBC executive, Jack Donaghy (Baldwin). The writing on the show is congruent with Fey’s work on “SNL” and “Mean Girls.” The jokes are subtle, but then hit you, like you’ve bitten into a hot pepper. If you’re a fan of “SNL” and haven’t given “30 Rock” a chance, you’re missing out on the best thing since Tina Fey’s time on “Weekend Update.”