16 Apps to Keep Your Mind Active This Summer

Get a little smarter and have fun doing it

75
Barbados.org

I know, last thing anyone wants to think about over summer break is school. That said, the more you manage to keep your brain working on something other than Netflix, sleeping in, and getting your tan on, the easier the transition back into academic life will be in the fall. While it's hard to beat reading a good book on the beach, mobile apps make the task of keeping your mind going convenient, easy and fun. Check out these awesome apps--all of which are available for free through the iTunes app store-for some ideas:

1. iTunes U

iTunes U is a treasure trove of free educational content for all levels from not only schools and universities but museums and other institutions as well. There's something for everyone in virtually any subject you want, and from established, trustworthy sources. iTunes U gives you the opportunity to use educational resources from schools all over the country, including Harvard, Standford, Yale, MIT, and Oxford and other institutions such as the Library of Congress, National Theatre, the Smithsonian, and NASA. This is a must have.

2. TED Talk

TED lives up to its motto of having "ideas worth spreading." The talks are engaging and informative, not to mention there's one for almost anything you could think of. Need some motivation? Want to remember things better? Interested in learning more about a particular subject from someone who really knows their stuff? There's a TEDTalk for that. Here's a particular favorite of mine I still remember from AP Psych in high school.

3. Duolingo

I. Love. Duolingo. I'm the first to admit that I've taken far too many years of French to be as terrible at it as I am. That said, I want to be better, and since I'm not taking it anymore I have Duolingo to help me review and even learn more. The games are simple and involve writing, reading, listening, and even speaking skills. The courses are designed specifically for speakers of one language to another (i.e. English to French, Spanish to French, French to Portuguese, etc.) and are developed by people all over the world who are fluent in both languages so you aren't just getting an automated translation, you're getting the real thing. The activities are simple and it's easy to get addicted. There are courses in almost any language you can think of, even Irish, Esperanto (which to be honest I didn't even know was a language until I saw it listed!), Welsh, Hebrew, Swahili, and Klingon. Yes, Klingon.

4. Serial Reader

Serial Reader rocks. I love reading but considering I have a hard enough time finding (or making) time to read for classes I don't get to read for fun very often. Enter: Serial Reader. I've mentioned (and will mention again further down this list) my love for theSkimm before and how it's become a part of my morning routine; Serial Reader is becoming a part of it, too. It makes it easy to read all those famous (and often long ) books that, if you're anything like me, you've always said you're going to read but just haven't gotten around to. The app lets you choose from a number of classic literature to essentially subscribe to and each day, at a time you choose, you receive another chunk of the book to read through the app. It basically breaks down the books into smaller sections, which you receive one of each day, and makes it easier and more manageable to read some of the greats which can be intimidating, like The Count of Monte Cristo, Anna Karenina, Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, Les Miserables, Moby Dick, and War and Peace. I've gotten behind a bit but that's no problem; the app stores all of the "issues" you've subscribed to so if you miss one or two (or a bunch) you can catch up and keep going.

5. HabitBull

Have a habit you've been trying to start or break? What better time to do so than during summer? HabitBull helps you do it by letting you track your habits. The goal is, of course, to have as many successful days as possible but it allows you to note failed days, too, which breaks your streak. By having your progress (or lack thereof) laid out right in front of you, it can help motivate you and keeps you accountable. So stop biting your nails, cracking your knuckles and drinking too much soda, coffee, or other and start waking up earlier, drinking more water, reading more (ahem , see above), and flossing. There's no time like the present!

6. Ear Wizard

Go back to school with a random cool talent. This app trains your ear to pick up on chords and, by doing so, improves your memory. It's one of those ways that keeps you mind sharp without you really even realizing it because it's just fun.

7. Swifty

Coding is everywhere. There are tons of apps and websites out there to help you learn the basics, and this is just one of them. Swifty teaches you to code in Swift (the programming language, not the Taylor) through interactive tutorials, lessons, and quizzes that are engaging and fun.

8. Museum apps

Use your break to get a little cultured. Whether you're going to physically visit a museum over the summer or want to do so from the comfort of your bed, there are apps for you. Some are more geared towards interactive use from within the actual museum while others make it so it's as if you're there. Some notable examples: The Met (as pictured above), the Guggenheim, MoMA, the Smithsonian(s), The British Museum, the 9/11 Memorial Museum, and the US Holocaust Memorial Museum. Also, be sure to check out museum content on the aforementioned iTunes U

9. Podcasts

Have a long flight or car ride this summer, or just some free time? Listening to podcasts is a great non-Netflix way to fill that time. There are podcasts about pretty much everything. While there are some that are strictly educational, a lot of my favorites--and the favorites of many--focus more on human interest pieces and just cool stuff in general. Some really great ones to check out: This American Life, Unexplained, pretty much anything from NPR (StoryCorps, Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me, Embedded, and Fresh Air in particular), Serial (if you've already listened, check out the second season as well as updates from Adnan's most recent hearings...or listen again because it was just that good ), Beautiful Stories from Anonymous People, Freakanomics Radio, and Stuff You Missed in History Class.

10. theSkimm

I won't say too much about this because I already have. theSkimm's new app not only allows you to check out the Daily Skimms right through the app but include a new platform called Skimm Ahead which is basically a calendar that includes all the upcoming events you need to know about, whether it be a holiday, a political event, something happening in sports, or (most importantly) the premier or finale of a show or movie. The first month is free, then $2.99 for the app.

11. Craftsy

Time to make good on all those DIY promises you've made yourself through Pinterest. Craftsy has a ton of tutorials and online classes in all things creative: baking, sewing, drawing and painting, knitting, jewelry making, weaving, woodworking, photography, embroidering, and of course crafting. Go back to school with a ton of handmade stuff to decorate your dorm with. Some are free to watch and some cost.

12. Poems By Heart

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood... impress your friends and English professors with some impressive poetry memorization, brought to you and made easy by Penguin Classics. The poems are presented in a way that's meant to help you memorize them. Some are free and some are 99 cents.

12. Quizzitive

Who doesn't want to sound smarter? From Merriam-Webster (you know, the dictionary guys), this app made up of quizzes, games, and tests aims to help you master M-W's list of 1,000 Words Worth Knowing. Do this and head back to school knowing words other than interesting, complex, good, stuff and the like to use in your essays. First two rounds are free and then pay to unlock the full app and turn off ads.

13. Ancestry

Do a little family digging this summer. Although it costs to have a full Ancestry.com account, there's a lot you can do and access with the free account as well. The website and app both make it easy to add and edit entries to your family tree(s). Be sure to check out your local library's genealogy resources as well, which are often free, to suppliment a basic unpaid Ancestry account.

14. Calm

Time to get zen. Calm helps you master the art of meditation and relaxation. Learn todestress and get, well, calm. After all, it is summer. Learn it now while you have the time and reap the rewards during stressful times when you're back in school.

15. Lumosity

Lumosity lets people of all ages exercise their brain through games intended to strengthen cognitive function. Pick the areas you want to focus in on and work out that noggin of yours.

16. StarChart

Whether you're at a bonfire, camping, or on the beach, use StarChart to figure out what exactly it is you're looking at. Find constellations other than the Big and Little Dippers with the help of your handy dandy app.