15 Pieces Of Advice About Turning 21

15 Pieces Of Advice About Turning 21

Finally 21, and legally able to do everything I've been doing since I was 15

810
15 Pieces Of Advice About Turning 21

I spent 20 years waiting for the moment I can legally drink in public, gamble, and just walk into a liquor store/bar. I just recently turned 21 and thought I was going to get 'LIT' but obviously, that didn't happen for me. I went to Texas Road House and had to sit and wait for a seat until someone asked me and my fiance if we were both over the age 21 normally my reaction is "No but almost" but not this time! I happily said yes and was seated at the bar (I felt like a true adult in that moment). I ordered my very first alcohol drink and couldn't even drink half of it before I started feeling sick. Heads up drinking water with alcohol will only make you drunker. lol

1. You'll never struggle with finding something fun to do ever again. Gone are the days of "So, like, what are we gonna do tonight?" You're going to a bar, obviously.

2. It's always worth it to pay a dollar or two more for nicer liquor. It tastes better, obviously, but the real difference is how you'll feel waking up the next morning.

3. Pretending to like cheap shots is also a complete waste of your time. It's the fast lane to getting drunk and the even faster lane to getting sick and feeling awful for 48 hours.

4. You do not need to get a drink with every meal just because you can now. Drinks in restaurants are notoriously overpriced and no matter how many times the waitress swears that weird martini will perfectly complement your steak, it's not worth the $13

5. Do future "Drunk You" a favor by turning back your sheets and refilling your water pitcher before you go out. There is nothing better than coming home and feeling like mom came through and made everything all cozy for the inebriated version of yourself you'll return as.

6. "Building up" your alcohol tolerance is the worst idea you've ever had. Binge drinking four nights a week to increase "your tolerance" isn't going to make it easier for you to enjoy weekends out with friends. It's just going to make it impossible to keep your actual life together.

7. Water is your new best friend in the whole wide world. I don't care about your hydration habits otherwise, when you're out drinking, take the "one glass of water per beverage" thing seriously. It cuts down on hangovers big time and is just the responsible thing to do.

8. Saying no to plans is sometimes the best thing you can do. You can go out with friends or to a new bar every single night of the week if you want, but that's a great way to wind up broke and exhausted. Spending nights in is occasionally the best thing. But for me on the other hand, none of my friends are 21 yet.

9. Never hesitate to fork over some extra money for a cab if you can't get home. You've already spent however much money on drinks anyway. What's 15 more dollars for a safe ride home?

10. Always having a few essential items in your purse makes life much easier. I know that tiny little clutch that only holds your ID and debit card is oooooh cute, but you literally never know what can happen on a fun night out with friends. Always have a phone charger, a condom, and some cash on hand.

11. Don't date boys who don't offer to walk you home the next morning. If he makes you roll out of bed and walks home in last night's clothes while he lounges around in his cartoon boxers, run far away. He should, at the very least, offer to walk with you or split a cab.

12. Find a couple go-to drinks you know you love and stick to those. Having a signature drink not only makes you seem mature AF, it also makes ordering at busy bars quick and easy. Plus the hangover is predictable.

13. Bars are great, but house parties will always be the best. Getting together for a party at your friend's apartment is really the best thing in the world, and cherish these moments while you can because they get less and less frequent with age.

14. Enjoy these few years of living less than a mile away from all your best friends. If you're in college, probably everyone you know and love most is less than a five-minute drive away. This won't always be the case, so live it up now.

15. You'll soon forget how you ever managed to live without the exclusive club card that is an over-21 ID. Something you should just get used to saying now, "Wow, what did we spend all of our time doing before we could get into bars?" It's truly the best. Welcome to adult hood and have to fun spending all your money! but make sure you take you bill money out first