15 Times Changing Your Major Felt Just Like A Break Up

"But why? You were so happy together!"

20
The Odyssey

Around a year ago was the time that I decided I needed to change my major from Special Education to Psychology. On the surface it seems normal, but it was probably the hardest decision I’ve ever made in my life.

In November 2015, I developed such severe anxiety that I could barely function. I wasn’t doing well in school, was constantly crying, and didn’t know what to do with myself. I was slowly starting to realize that I was overwhelmed by the program, and wasn’t sure that I even wanted to teach.

The whole situation was devastating and I wouldn’t have gotten through it if it wasn’t for all of the great people I had around me (shout out to my RA staff and supervisor for ensuring I didn’t go insane). Now, a year later, I’m happier and healthier and realizing what my passions are in life.

Looking back on it now, I can find some humor in the situation. So if you’re starting to think you need to change your major, here’s a look at how it feels just like a break up.

1. You have to break the news to all of your friends and family

You and your major have been together so long it's hard to think of one without the other. Whether it's in person or through social media, you have to let people know about the change.

2. Everyone will ask you what happened and why you did it

Everyone loves a good break up story. But like most breakups, often there isn't a concise answer to give.You can try to explain it to everyone, or you can just tell them it's none of their business. Either works.

3. “But you were so happy together”

I get it, okay? I loved my major. It was great, until it wasn't. Just like how you can fall out of love with a person, you can fall out of love with a major. Just because you were happy at some point doesn't mean you're happy now, and that's okay.

4. People will keep telling you how much better off you are

A lot of people will try and validate your decision, which is helpful even if you're 100% confident with the decision."You're too good for that," "You're life is going to be so much better" will start getting thrown around a lot.

5. Your mother will say how she never liked your major

Within five minutes of telling my mom that I was switching majors, she told me how she's always seen me as a psychologist. Someone close to you will insist that they knew that it was never going to work out, that the program wasn't good enough for you, etc. Embrace it, and be appreciative of the people you have that are 100% supportive of you.

6. Your extended family will still think you’re together

"Oh sweetie are you and that nice education fellow still together?"

"No Grandma, me and Psychology are seeing each other. I showed you pictures from the research project she and I did last month, remember?"

No, they probably won't. It's probably time to get used to it until you've settled down with a career permanently.

7. Suddenly you’re thrown into an open world you’re not used to

Looking for a new major can be terrifying. Everything seems totally new, and you can't even remember what it was like to be single. Your whole way of thinking and behaving has to be adapted to fit in this new world.

8. You find a rebound quickly

Being alone is scary, so you latch onto what's closest, or easiest. You need certainty and want to go back to normal. You'll probably jump into something without fully thinking through what you're doing.

9. The honeymoon period is amazing

This is the major for you. You two are perfect for each other and nothing could possibly change your mind. Your schedule is amazing, there's no homework, the world is seen through rose-colored glasses.

10. But you quickly realize it’s just a new major

Everything is great and then you hit a rough patch (midterms) and you realize all majors are the same. And you may immediately cut all the ties once it gets difficult, or you take what you learned from your last major and try and make it work.

11. There will be nights when you want to take it all back

Your old major might have been detrimental to your health, but at least you knew what you were doing. Predictability is something we often value more than we think. There will be nights that you'll regret your decision and really consider taking them back.

12. But you know the experience made you a better person

You made a big decision so you should be proud of it. Keep in mind that you didn't waste your time, and the skills and strategies you learned can be applied to anything you do in the future.

13. You realize you don’t have to be in a long term commitment

Changing your major can make you realize that you don't just have to do one thing for the rest of your life. You're not stuck doing something just because you have a piece of paper. You're going to fall in love again and again, so you might as well embrace it.

14. You’re more open to change and new experiences

Once you make one big change, it makes it easier to make other changes. Maybe you're more willing to go on a study abroad trip, or take a class on a subject you know nothing about.

15. You are your own person and your own identity

When I first brought up changing my major, I was scared of what my parents would think. My dad told me that “teacher” wasn’t tattooed to my forehead, it was a T-shirt that I was able to change. The only thing that was tattooed on me was “Quinn,” and no matter what “shirt” I was wearing, I would still be me.

What you do is a part of you, but it's not all of you.