15 Truths I Want My Future Husband To Know

I have insecurities. But I will always love you.

17463
Unsplash

Dear Future Husband,

This is a letter to my future husband. This is for you, my soulmate, the man who I will fall asleep to every night and wake up to every morning. This is for the man who will love, cherish, and annoy TF out of me and still love me. This is for you. When we do get married, you have full rights to read this at our wedding and hold this article against me.

This is what I want you to know:

1. I won't depend on you for everything.

I'm not the type of girl who will sit back at home and take care of all the 'home' stuff. I can barely cook. The only thing you'll be eating if I cook is spaghetti and tacos (spaghetti tacos???). You won't be the primary breadwinner. I won't depend on you for everything, and that's OK.

2. I don't want kids right away and won't quit my job when we do.

I know it's typical that the woman quits her job when she has kids and a husband, but not this girl. Do not expect me to stay at home, cook, clean, and take care of the children all by myself while you're "bringing home the bacon." That's not how it works. We will be equal breadwinners, both providing for our family.

3. It's OK if we fight.

I was raised by two loving parents who also loved each other. While they had arguments, they still were the epitome of love in my eyes. So it's OK if we have little arguments here and there about who took the trash out or if our President really should be our president. I'm here for the long haul...which leads me into my next point.

4. I don't believe in divorce.

It's not for religious reasons, surprisingly, but I just don't believe in divorce. Divorce = giving up. Whatever fight we have, we can make it through. Now, if one of us cheated, then that calls for separation. But I trust you with all my heart that you won't break my heart because you are the love of my life.

5. Even though I say I'm fine, I'm really not.

I need you to be there. I know I said I won't depend on you for everything, but sometimes I'm weak and I lose all hope. I need your shoulder to cry on. I need your big, strong arms around me. I will break down and start crying. But I need you to be there. Even if I don't show it, I still need you there right next to me

6. I can't cook.

OK, I can cook tacos and spaghetti. That's pretty much it. So if I want a big steak in my mouth, then you're going to have to do that for me. I want my future husband to cook for me. But also, I want my future husband to randomly come home one day and say "let's order takeout, pig out, and watch reruns of Friends." *HEART EYES*

7. Family means everything to me.

We're going to visit my family a lot, OK? We'll visit yours, too, but my family is priority. I'm not saying they're going to come over every Sunday night for dinner, but every holiday and birthday, we'll spend time with at least my brothers and parents. You're my husband. They'll also love you and you're a part of the family already.

8. I want us to be equal partners.

Similar to the one above, I want us to be equal partners. That means even if one of us makes more money than the other, we'll still be equal. If one starts "dominating" the other, then that is not a healthy relationship. We'll agree, disagree, fight, argue, make up over the silliest things but both of us will be equal and have the right to voice our opinion (unless it's you saying that you like the Dallas Cowboys or UVA).

9. We will get a dog (or two).

This one pretty self-explanatory, but we will definitely be getting a dog. I don't care what breed, but just so you know. Don't be alarmed when I suddenly come home with a litter of puppies.

My husband: "Did you go to the grocery store today?"
Me: "Yes..."
My husband: "Then why tf do you have a box of puppies in your arms"
Me: "...his name is fluffy"

10. Trust and honesty are key factors in any relationship.

Listen, I know every marriage has its problems. You're on a business trip and the other starts to freak out on what they're doing at a random hotel. That will happen but letting you know I won't be the jealous crazed wife who's calling you every five minutes. I trust you 100% because you're my soulmate. Just like I said earlier, I don't believe in divorce so if you say something, I will trust you.

11. I will roll down the car windows and blast country music.

You best believe it when we get married that I will blast country music out the windows out of our Ford truck. Oh, we don't have a Ford truck? Guess what we're buying first as a married couple? You're my husband which makes you a fan of country music. I just want that moment where we're both singing at the top of our lungs in the truck and your hand is on my thigh while the other hand is on the steering wheel and I look over and see your effortless charming smile. That's when I'll know I'm at my happiest.

12. My insecurities get the best of me sometimes.

I have insecurities. There's no going around it. But no matter what they are, I want you to tell me I'm beautiful. More importantly, I want you to want to say I'm beautiful. Waking up next to you saying I'm the prettiest thing you'll see today (besides our beautifully amazing kids). I will have those days where I want to lock myself in the bathroom and cry. I want you there, right next to me, stroking my back and being there for me. You'll be the one picking me up when I'm in a million pieces.

13. The past is and stays in the past.

Exes, past relationships, mistakes we made... that's all in the past and we are the present and the future. If an ex strolls back in our lives, then let them keep on walking by. There's no reason for someone or something to come between us. The past is behind us and I can't wait to start our life together.

14. We'll always be together.

I can't wait to start our life together. I can't wait for the memories, adventures, and time we spend together. You best believe that we'll even be together shotgunning beers at a day drink (read: our son's Little League baseball game). Even when we're apart, you're a part of my life. God has a plan for us and every day we'll live through that plan. Every day for the rest of our lives we'll be together. I don't care if you're messing around with your Peyton, I am your Haley who's standing in the corner, waiting patiently for you. You're my Nathan and I'm your Haley. (You'll also have to put up with my constant corny TV references)

15. I will always love you.

I have a tendency to care too much. It's a blessing and a curse some people would say. It's a curse because I can care too much and not get the same in return. But because of that, I don't want you to take advantage of that. I will always love you and I will put everything I have into our love (God that sounded so cheesy). I will love you through every argument, through every fight, through every mistake, through our children and dogs. I will always love you. I don't usually believe in soulmates but I believe with all my heart that you are the one that God wanted me to spend the rest of my life with. I can't wait to start our life together.