An Independent Woman's Letter To Her Future Husband

I was not raised to depend on someone else, but maybe you could be the exception.

4418
David & Ashley Hodges

To my future husband,

First of all, I thank you for dealing with me long enough to want to marry me and spend the rest of your life with me. I believe that together, we will be extraordinary. I am sure we have been through a lot, but there is something I would like to mention. There was a version of me before you in the same way that there was a version of you before me. It was not easy every day for me as I became the person I am today, but I am thankful for the journey that led me to you.

I never wanted to depend on a man. I wanted to be my own individual person who could do things on her own and could explore the world without the need of a guide. I understood that things could be easier with someone to help me, but I wanted to be self-sufficient. If I couldn't reach the top shelf, I would grab my step stool and reach it on my own as I prepare my own meal. This extra height gave me power, but also made my head a target for the ceiling fan. When needing to lift heavy things, I would take frequent breaks to give my arms a rest, but I could do it. I was not raised to depend on someone else, but I was raised to be able to support myself when needed and I have done that.

SEE ALSO: Hey Ladies, You Are 'Miss Independent'

I do see myself finding you, my husband. We can then settle down and start a family together. When I decide to spend the rest of my life with you, I hope that you are also capable of supporting yourself in the way I am. However, when we are together, our walls can be taken down and we can now support each other along with ourselves. I want to explore the world with you and only ask you for directions. I want you to make things easier for me by being my helping hand and by me being yours. Before I reach to grab the step stool, I'll ask you to reach the top shelf for me as we prepare dinner together. (Hopefully, the ceiling fan will not get in your way.) We may split the distance when carrying heavy things, or work together to each carry one end. I was not raised to depend on someone else, but maybe you could be the exception.

So future husband hear me out...I was not raised to depend on a man. So please do not expect me to ask you for help with every little thing. However, I know I will love you and I will acknowledge everything you do for me, so thank you in advance. Together, we can be extraordinary and burn brighter than any other fire.

Love always,

Your future wife