15 Things Mom Was Right About

15 Things Mom Was Right About

Mother knows best...

56
15 Things Mom Was Right About
Disney

Remember when you dated that horrible douche bag, and even though no one liked him, your whole family was nice to him except your mom? Hindsight is 20/20; Mom was right. It turns out, sometimes mother does know best.

1. Family First.

When I was growing up, my mom always stressed the importance of my brother and I being close with each other. Whether it was making us hold hands on the couch until we were done fighting when we were children, or talking us through our differences when we were both in college, my mom has always maintained the importance of putting family relationships top on the priority list. Now, my brother and I are best friends, and it is so nice to have someone I know will always be there for me no matter what.

2. This, too, shall pass.

I will admit, I was a drama queen for most of my high school and college life. Whenever I was having a breakdown, my mom always reminded me that I have always made it through rough patches, and I will make it through whatever I was freaking out about. Here I am now, and my record is still 100% in terms of living through my worst days.

3. Be nice always.

My mother and grandma always told me "you get more flies with honey than you do vinegar." At a young age, this simply seemed like a funny adage to me. However, at twenty-six, it makes so much sense.

4. Take your education seriously.

I am a first generation college attendee, and when I was little, my mom and dad often told my brother an I, "Education is the only thing no one can ever take from you." When I was little, I rolled my eyes at this, but as an adult, this really hits home with me.

5. He's not the one for you.

For some reason, moms are exceptional at being able to tell when a guy is worth it or not. Even if I had been dating a guy for several years, my mom would never lie to me about how she felt about him, and it was the source of many fights when I was in college. In hindsight, my mom was so right pretty much 100% of the time.

6. Stick up for what you believe in.

Instilling a sense of conviction is something moms are just amazing at, even if no one else agrees with you.

7. "Those people" will always exist, no matter the circumstance.

Whether it's mean girls in high school, the trolls in college classrooms, or the nay-sayers in the workplace, "those people" will exist in all circumstances. Moms know this, and try their best to prepare you for it.

8. Always send a thank-you note.

Thank-you notes are underrated, and now that I am an adult, I am so happy my mom made me send them after every single Christmas. As other people my age struggle for what to say in thank-you notes, I can rattle one off in about two minutes flat thanks to my mom.

9. Take your vitamins. (And get a flu shot)!

Moms are serious about getting vitamins and staying healthy. After getting sick about every other week once I entered the workforce, I quickly understood why.

10. Wear earrings.

This used to really get under my skin. I could visit my mom looking like a million bucks, but she would always look at me and say, "where are your earrings?" Now, wearing earrings makes me feel complete, and it gives me a little confidence boost on days I need it most. I think this a ninja-mother trick to provide confidence when it's needed most.

11. Always leave something to the imagination.

This is not limited to clothing.

12. Shave your 'pits.

My mom used to embarrass me to no end when she would ask, in front of my entire family, if I had "shaved my 'pits (armpits)." However, I am glad for those moments as an adult, because I never forget to shave my armpits.

13. Don't wear underwear to bed.

Apparently, this is a weird nugget of advice. However, I am so glad my mom stressed this to me as a youngster, because as women get older, our lady parts tend to have a mind of its own. Allowing myself to "air out" at night allows me to feel fresh the whole day after.

14. They're just jealous.

Whenever I would go to my mom crying as an adolescent, she always told me that the people who were being mean to me were just jealous. I never believed her at the time, but as a teacher, I see this stuff all the time. The "mean girls" are really just ridiculously self-conscious, and they're jealous of people willing to stay true to their identities.

15. You'll understand where I'm coming from someday.

Well...she was right.