15 Things That Will Bother Your Barista

15 Things That Will Bother Your Barista

If you want to know how to make a barista quit her job, do all of these things.

25
15 Things That Will Bother Your Barista
Destiny Lewis

I started my first job in a coffee shop the summer before my senior year; I was scared, lost, and confused about the difference between a cappuccino and a frappuccino. Since then I have worked in the coffee shop on campus (we sell Starbucks, but we are not an actual Starbucks-- important information) for a year and learned the many ways of a barista. Amidst these coffee-brewing lessons, I have also picked up on the little ticks that can drive a barista insane. These tips are especially helpful if you are ordering from somewhere that is not an actual Starbucks (like I said, it's important).

1. An iced cappuccino is not a thing.

A cappuccino has steamed milk and a whole lot of foam. I've never put hot foam over cold milk, but I don't think it would work out very well.

2. If you're going to order in Starbucks lingo, do it right.

Don't come up and ask for a "small grande," because you're just making it harder on yourself. If you say "small," I will not correct you and say "tall" (because that's dumb).

3. If you order a Caramel Macchiato, DON'T YOU DARE STIR IT.

The entire point of a macchiato is for the espresso to be on top. If you don't want that, order a latte. It's a whole lot easier for me to make.

4. After you've ordered, please move out of the way so that I can get the next person in line.

You've ordered, you've payed, and now there's no reason to stand there and stare at me while the other barista makes your drink. It makes me uncomfortable and the people behind you annoyed.

5. If I am steaming milk, please don't try to talk to me.

The machine is loud, and my face is a lot closer to it than yours. If you say something, there's a 75 percent chance that I have no idea what you just said.

6. Don't leave your straw wrapper on the counter.

If you're in a coffee shop, there's got to be a trash can. Use it. Please.

7. No, we do not sell coconut milk or seltzer water or any weird, fancy things just because we are a coffee shop.

You would be surprised by some of the requests I've gotten. Like, do they sell these at other coffee shops??

8. Remember, seasonal drinks are SEASONAL.

When you come in and ask for a Pumpkin Spiced Latte in the middle of April, don't complain when I tell you we don't have that anymore.

9. Don't walk up to the counter, stare at the menu, and then walk away.

That's just mean. I got up and stood at the register for you and everything. Rude.

10. When you order something wrong, do not tell me "that's not what I wanted."

Chances are I made it exactly how you ordered it. If you asked for something hot and really wanted it iced, that's not my fault.

11. Don't try and be complicated with your order if you don't have to, especially if you're just trying to make it cheaper.

I mean, I can follow along just fine, but there is no reason to order a "vanilla steamer with a shot of espresso and caramel drizzled on top." I will still charge you for a Caramel Macchiato.

12. Do not order something that's not on the menu if you don't know what it is.

Most of the time, I can make things personalized, and sometimes I know what the name of it is. Ask for a Red Eye, and you've got it. But if you ask for a London Fog and don't know how to make it, I can't really help you.

13. Don't tell me, "Oh your coffee shop should get this [insert syrup, sauce, etc. here]."

I'm not in charge of that, so it's really not going to do any good. And if we don't have it, we probably can't get it.

14. Please don't come right up to the register if you haven't decided.

Stand back a little or off to the side, because if you don't, we're back to me awkwardly staring at you and the people in line behind you getting annoyed.

15. DO NOT tell me "well at McDonald's they do this" or "this other coffee shop does that."

I do not work there. Our coffee shop is different. Sorry. I promise I'm not trying to be bitter, but I take pride in my coffee shop (and your sass is not necessary).

So next time you're at the coffee shop, especially you students at school, just remember some of these things before you order.