15 Reasons Why My Roommate Is My Best Friend

Roommates round two.

30
Tanvi Varma

In my opinion, one of the first aspects of college is your living arrangement - your residence hall and your roommate(s). Your roommate(s) can be your best friends or simply individuals that share the living space. I find that it is ideal to have someone you get along with because it can make the transition easier.

When I first came to college, I was very anxious about my living arrangement. I did not know whether I would get along with my roommate or not. I definitely wanted to, but I was prepared that we may not be the best of friends. When she first moved in, it took us a while to warm up to one another. We were both quiet and did our own things. Our friendship was definitely not instantaneous. However, once we warmed up, we became inseparable and the best of friends. She would be the one that I would go to for advice, the one who would take care of me, and the one who I would share late nights of studying, laughter, crying and deep meaningful conversations. She would also be the one who I would end up rooming with the following year. She gets me, even if we have completely different personalities. People tell us we are "cute" or "perfect" roommates. I would definitely say so - I lucked out with her. So thank you Robin for being my roommate two years in a row, and being my person. You've made college much more manageable.

Here are the reasons why I really lucked out with Robin as my roommate.

1. She balances me out. We may have vastly different personalities, but at the end of the day, we have always been able to make it work. We have found a medium that works well for both of us.

2. She understands my quirks. She may have thought I was weird initially because of my strange tendencies and sleep patterns. Yet, after months of living with me, she has familiarized herself with how I act and knows how to deal with me. I do not have to even tell her what is on my mind because she knows. She sometimes knows me better than I know my own self.

3. She can read my emotions.That goes without saying. I can tell her that "I'm fine" and she will know if I am lying. She can just tell, and she will always make sure I am okay.

4. She is patient and tolerant. I have had tendencies when I become extremely emotional or go off on tangents. Regardless, she has always been patient and held my hand/listened to me when I go through my phases. No questions asked.

5. She parents me and takes care of me. Whenever it is cold outside, she will always make sure that I am well-clad. She always makes sure I have eaten (because I have a tendency to forget), and just keeps a tab on me.

6. She helps me prepare and gets me through the stressful moments.Whenever I have a test or an interview coming up, she is always helping me prepare either with mock trials or by asking me questions on the material being tested. She helps guide me on what to focus on, and always knows how to calm my nerves especially on interview/test day.

7. She is my wing-woman. Whether that be with the guy I like or any guy in general, she knows what to say to help me out. It is like she can read my mind.

8. She engages in hating other people with me even when she doesn't know them very well. That is self-explanatory.

9. She listens to my rants.Whenever I have had a bad/stressful day (or I am confused), she will always sit down and listen to me vent about anything and everything.

10. She gives good advice (on everything including outfits). Whether that be for interviews, parties, formal events, or (let's be real, just daily), she knows exactly what I need. She can somehow put together a killer outfit from my clothes (when I am completely stumped). She also knows exactly what to say whenever I am in a dilemma.

11. She's always there when I need her the most. Whenever for whatever (big or small).

12. She doesn't hate me when I wake her up at 3 a.m. because I need to talk (even when she's in another state). There have been instances when I have called her at 3 a.m. because I need to talk or woken her up in the dorm because something happened. Either way, she will always be attentive and say "it's completely okay, I am always here for you," when I apologize profusely for doing so.

13. She indulges in my weird food cravings at random hours. She does not think I am weird (or maybe she did initially and then got over it?) when I decide that 2 a.m. is a great time for cake, cereal, or anything really.

14. She motivates me. She has it together. She is able to balance extracurricular activities, school, and work and not fall apart from stress. She is diligent and focused, and really motivates me to plan/work ahead of time/prioritize.

15. She just gets it. No questions asked. It's like we're on the same page.