15 Pieces Of Advice I Wish I'd Taken

15 Pieces Of Advice I Wish I'd Taken

I can't give advice if I won't take it.

151
15 Pieces Of Advice I Wish I'd Taken
Joshua Ness

Ever since I was little, I've always been the friend everyone would come to for advice on various topics, such as relationships, friendships, work, conflicts, etc.

I quickly realized that giving advice is easy as pie, but taking advice--especially your own--is a different story.

The last three years of my life have hurled life lessons at me like Pokeballs, and though I'm the first to tell my friends to "catch 'em all," I find myself dodging them like I'm back in fifth grade gym class.

However, it wouldn't make sense for me to expect others to put my suggestions into practice if I won't lead by example.

As hard as I know it will be, I am ready to take my own advice and put forth the necessary steps to improve my overall self.

For now, I will be focusing on these 15 pieces of advice specifically:

1. Always end every phone call with "I love you."

I had to learn the hard way that you never know when it'll be the last time you hear from someone you're close to. Even if it seems mundane or too expressive, tell your loved ones that you love them before hanging up the phone. Trust me.

2. Don't skip class unless you have to.

Before my Freshman year, everyone always told me that even though you can skip class, don't unless you absolutely have to. I used to skip my afternoon class on Fridays so I could go home for the weekend and avoid traffic, but missing just two classes dropped my grade significantly.

Even if you don't want to, go to class.

3. Eat healthy whenever you can.

I always encourage my friends to make healthier options, but I notice that I've been slacking when it comes to healthy choices. Healthy food boosts your immune system, metabolism and mood, and it helps you concentrate better. If a healthy option is offered, take it.

4. If you recognize that a relationship is toxic, get out immediately (if you can).

If I found out that someone I love was in a toxic relationship (of any kind), I would be the first to advise them to leave if it was possible. However, last year I recognized I was being abused in the workplace, but I never took the necessary steps to break free of this vicious cycle, and I ultimately ended up in therapy. It will sting like hell to leave, but the sting is temporary. I promise.

5. Don't be afraid to say "No."

FOMO (fear of missing out) is alive and well in college. I've always been the "Yes (Wo)man" when it comes to hangouts so I can make more memories with my friends, even when I really need to focus on school. I now know that there will always be another hangout/event. Focus on school now; have fun later.

6. Don't be afraid to say "Yes."

Opportunity is going to strike in many places. I used to turn down opportunities for great things simply because I was scared. However, if I hadn't overcome my fear of trying new things, I wouldn't be writing this article for Odyssey. The more it scares you, the better it will turn out.

7. Having emotions is not a crime.

I always advocate for my friends to be open with me, but I was taught that emotions are weaknesses. I was taught wrong. If something hurts you, it's okay. If you need to cry, do it. If you need a support system, communicate with those around you what you're dealing with. Pushing it aside will do more damage than the event itself.

8. Don't date if you're not over your last relationship.

Last year, someone hurt me so horribly that I projected it onto other people, which came back to bite me. Dating others when you still carry around baggage from the last person that hurt you will lead to you damaging them, even if you don't realize it. Take a break, and fall back in love with yourself first.

9. Reach out to your friends.

If a friend seemed to be going MIA, I used to not text them first because I thought I was bothering them. However, I now know that a simple text or get-together might be exactly what they need, but they just don't know how to say it. Make sure you check up on your friends. You never know what they're going through.

10. Make time for yourself.

I used to make my schedule so hectic and busy in order to keep myself focused, but I never had time for myself, and it would cause me to get irritated very easily. Everyone needs "me-time." That hour of YouTube videos right before bed can set you in the right mood for the next day.

11. Branch out from what you're used to.

Fear of the unknown used to stop me from seeking new adventures. During my Freshman year, I decided to break away from my religion to see what else was out there. I joined three organizations that gave me a different perspective, and I wouldn't be the person I am today without them. I also wouldn't have the amazing friends I have now.

12. Learn to let go.

Letting go of others has always been hard for me because I'm very people-oriented. However, I've had to remind myself that nobody is here permanently, so enjoy them while you have them, and let them go when it's time.

13. You don't owe anyone anything.

I used to think that you had to be there for your friends 24/7 no matter what. I now know that this isn't the case. If someone isn't good for your mental health, drop them, even if they've been your friend for years. If someone doesn't understand your need for autonomy, drop them. If someone's existence in your life causes you harm, drop them.

14. Budget your money.

I had to work around my terrible spending habits because I used to spend whatever I wanted whenever I wanted (usually on Starbucks). It added up fairly quickly, and I had no money at the end of the semester for other expenses. Save as much as you can; you never know when an emergency will come up.

15. Be nice to yourself.

Once I changed my mindset on how I viewed myself, it changed everything. My mood was improved. My health and sleep patterns improved. My everything improved! Once you learn to love yourself, the world just opens up to you in ways you could've never imagined.