15 Life Lessons The Beatles Taught Through Music

Old people music, huh?

2226
Billboard

The Beatles. The Fab Four. The four men who changed the world with their fantastic music and songwriting skills. Most young adults don't really care for this group, because they're British and they were from the 60's, which apparently categorizes their work as "old people music." Anyway...

The Beatles are my all-time favorite band. This is because they started out old-fashioned, meaning they created and produced songs that would make you want to dance all over your bedroom as if you were actually there. Then they made a huge transition into the psychedelic stage and the "grown-up" stage, making more sophisticated tunes with medleys, and satisfyingly odd songs, too. I fell in love with them immediately when I was either 13 or 14-years-old, still very young to know who the Beatles even were.

Through these years of constantly listening to them, I've realized that there is probably at least one life lesson hidden in every Beatles song ever made, give or take a couple. That was a reason why I loved them and their songs so much and still do. You could tune in and not be annoyed. You could listen to them and actually know what their songs mean.

Except "I Am The Walrus." That song really is just plain weird. There is absolutely no secret message in there. It's just full of drugs and psychedelic insanity. Apparently, John Lennon was the walrus, and there was no arguing with that.

1. "Hey Jude" 1968

Everyone has got to know this song. Paul McCartney's soothing voice leads through a 7-minute melody, making every listener sing or hum along. Even though it's lengthy, McCartney teaches a very important life lesson. This was originally written for John Lennon's son, Julian, having a tough time adjusting to Yoko Ono, Lennon's new significant other. McCartney tries to tell him that he needs to give her a chance, and learn to get to know her before judging her. Also, he explains that Julian shouldn't be sad or angry because Ono was not trying to replace his mother. (Even though she did break up and destroy the Beatles, but that's another discussion for another time!)

This is a life lesson for everyone. Don't carry the whole world on your shoulders for something so little. It's not worth the stress. Yes, when you're younger, you don't really understand why things are the way they are. But when you get older, you will understand. I was actually in Julian's shoes, but we had different situations. My father hanging out with another female was a bit sad and scary to me, making me angry at times. I was always so used to my mother. You just have to learn not to judge someone before you get to know them, and you shouldn't be a fool. "Hey Jude, don't be afraid. You were made to go out and get her. The minute you let her under your skin, then you begin to make it better."

2. "We Can Work It Out" 1965

Released as a single, "We Can Work It Out" has a combination of John and Paul's voices. It's a song about relationships getting out of hand. Nothing is really "working out", or going as planned. The constant fighting and arguments can pull two people away from each other. I picked this song, because it's easy to sing along to. You're easily attached to it. There is a life lesson in here that is actually pretty important for people to understand. Life is super short. It doesn't last. Fighting is stupid. It's almost like a "crime". It shouldn't be done, because it'll only make things worse. So working things out would be smart.

3. "Blackbird" 1968

Flying from one of the Beatles' most famous albums, "Blackbird" is about learning how to fly after you've been broken. McCartney's sweet remedy cranks up the waterworks, at least for me and my mother (I never knew why). At the time, it was written directly for the racism crises and rising violence in the late 60's. But there are other listeners who could beg to differ and say that there is more than one meaning hiding in the song. I would join those listeners and agree with them. The "blackbird" symbolizes a baby or a young child growing up and earning his/her wings. The baby spends its life growing up and repairing the "broken" wings. The baby has waited its whole life for the moment to fly away on their new wings on their own. It's instructed to not be afraid to go away in the dark, which symbolizes the real, adult world.

Now I know why my mother cried every time the song came on. "Take these broken wings and learn to fly. All your life, you were only waiting for the moment to arise. Blackbird, fly."

4. "Yesterday" 1965

Paul McCartney is worshiped for this song. It's one of his most famous pieces. It's about taking someone for granted, screwing up, and losing everything in a day's time. Time usually tells, and lets you really know what matters. Time will open your eyes. Yesterday, he didn't have any troubles or worries. However, he was so caught up in himself that he forgot about his love. So she left, because he said something he shouldn't have; and he was paying zero attention to her this whole time. When she leaves, he realizes that he was wrong all along; and "he longs for yesterday", when he really had her. So the lesson is that you shouldn't be so full of yourself. Put other people before you, and cherish the ones close to you. You don't know what you got until it's gone. You don't realize how quick something can change in one day.

5. "The End" 1969

Lasting only 2 minutes and 20 seconds, "The End" is part of a medley in the Abbey Road album. It sends out a simple message. In the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make. This means that the love you give to someone is going to come back to you in the same amount. If you want to look at it in a religious perspective, it can be viewed as a golden rule. Do to others like they would do to you. Treat people the way you want to be treated. So if you want that love, give as much as possible. You'll receive the same thing in return.

6. "Let It Be" 1970

Classic. So classic it makes my heart skip a beat every time I listen to it. This song is one of their best EVER. Paul, once again, sings it proudly from the Let It Be album. It's another tune about life, and getting through some tough times. Paul connects it to his own life. The "Mother Mary" figure may sound religious, which is what I thought at first. But it's his mother coming to him, in either a dream or a spiritual form, and "speaking words of wisdom". She sends a signal to let things be. They will work out eventually by themselves. Plus, no matter what dark, unclear place you're in, God will still guide you through. "And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light that shines on me. Shine until tomorrow. Let it be."

7. "With A Little Help From My Friends" 1967

Nothing much to explain here. Coming from one of the psychedelic albums, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, this song is part of a medley. Ringo Starr, the drummer, actually sings it, which was probably a mistake on them. Anyway... the lyrics basically explain that your friends get you through everything. They are your support system and never letting you down. They are not judgmental. It's actually cute and something to nod your head to. "I get by with a help from my friends."

8. "And Your Bird Can Sing" 1966

I love this one! John Lennon talks about a girl having everything she could ever want, and having a bird that can "sing" and do all of this other stuff. The way I see it is that this girl that Lennon wants is already taken by another man, a.k.a. the bird. The man is so perfect and she is not paying any attention to Lennon. So he explains that when the bird leaves her and she gets torn apart, he will be there. But as long as she continues to ignore, he will soon be gone; and eventually, she will be alone. The lesson is to notice what you have around you first and who's there for you before you go through acting like you have a perfect life. Is it really that perfect? "When your bird is broken, will it bring you down? Look in my direction. I'll be 'round, I'll be 'round."

9. "Here Comes The Sun" 1969

I'm sure everyone has heard this before, either in a movie or on the radio. Even today, it's still played often. George Harrison takes over and sings about the sun. Not what the sun is; he talks about the significance and purpose of it in just about 3 minutes. The reason why this one is one of my favorites is because it's about life getting better, and knowing that life is so, so good! "Here comes the sun, and I say it's alright."

10. "Good Day Sunshine" 1966

Just like "Here Comes The Sun", this Revolver-based song is a great way to lift your spirits. It sings of the wonderful ways to feel amazing. When the sun is out, life is just naturally better. You're automatically in a great mood, you appreciate everything good in your life, and you smile. The lesson is to just embrace the life you were blessed with. Not going to lie; I'm honestly in a better mood when the sun is out, and especially when the weather is warm.

11. "You're Going To Lose That Girl" 1965

From the album "Help!", this song is very self-explanatory. I love singing it whenever it comes on. It's catchy. The lesson that it teaches to its listeners, especially the males, is that if you don't treat a girl like a princess and the way that she's supposed to be treated, you will definitely lose her and never see her again. Someone better will come around and take care of her like you didn't. "If you don't treat her right, my friend, you're gonna find her gone. Cuz I will treat her right, and then you'll be the lonely one."

12. "The Word" 1965

Haven't you heard of the Word? It was my intention that everyone had heard. This song is off of one of the Fab Four's famous albums, Rubber Soul; yet, people seem to forget that it even exists. I always used to call this the prior "All You Need Is Love", before it was even created. Obviously, the word is love. Love is grand, love cures all. It makes you happy. It's a simple song, but with a bunch of meaning in it. "Say the word and you'll be free... It's so fine. It's sunshine. It's the word, love."

13. "In My Life" 1965

One of the Beatles' most popular songs, "In My Life" is found on the Rubber Soul album; and it's won over many, many hearts, including mine. It's about going through life and explaining how fast it really goes until finding the love of your life. Then you want time to slow down tremendously. During a lifetime, you have your fair share of fights, relationships, good times, and bad times. Then one day, you'll find something perfect and you'll spend the rest of your life with that perfect something. Nothing will ever compare to it. "But of all these friends and lovers, there is no one compares with you. And these memories lose their meaning, when I think of love as something new.
Though I know I'll never lose affection, for people and things that went before,
I know I'll often stop and think about them. In my life, I love you more."

14. "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" 1968

This song preaches a cute little tale about a couple falling in love and going through life together. There are certain times in this love story that they go through some rough storms. I picked this song in particular, because it isn't just a love story. The lesson is screamed multiple times throughout the whole thing. It's simple. Life goes on, brah. No matter what happens, life will always move forward. When you're going through something, just grin and bear it. It will be over before you know it, and you'll wonder why you ever worried about it.

15. "All You Need Is Love" 1967

Personally a favorite of mine, because it's written all over my walls in my bedroom at home. It's an actual obsession. Who knew that 5 simple words could move a person? The one thing that I can tell you about the Beatles is that they actually were all for love, not hate. They promoted kindness and respect. Love is all, all is love. This song is actually a source of motivation and help whenever you're feeling low. "There's nothing you can do that can't be done." You only need love, and everything will be better in time.

You didn't think "old people music" would have this effect, did you? Sit down one day and listen to the Beatles for once. Take it in and process every word. Realize that there are secret messages in there for listeners to take into consideration. Then maybe you'll see how awesome they really are.

\