15 Fun Facts About Dogs

15 Fun Facts About Dogs

There is so much to know about these lovable canines.

985
15 Fun Facts About Dogs
PawstinLeyPark.org

Every now and again I get reminded (not that I ever really forget) about how much I love dogs. So, I decided to share a few fun facts about dogs to every dog lover and people who love dogs out there (cause everyone loves dogs, who are we kidding?). There's never not a time to learn some more things about these genuine creatures. Honestly, what have we done to deserve them? I present to you, 15 fun facts about dogs.

1. The United States has the highest population of dogs.

2. Dogs have sweat glands in the pads of their paws.

3. Dogs secret mucous in their noses that helps them absorb scent. They sample that scent by licking their noses.

4. The oldest dog alive, at least on record, was an Australian cattle-dog named Bluey who was 29 years and 5 months old.

5. Dalmatian puppies are born spotless, completely white. They gain their spots over time.

6. Dogs have 1,700 taste buds, about five times less than humans, who have 9,000 taste buds.

7. Dogs like to poop within the alignment of Earth's magnetic fields.

8. A study done by the scholars at The University Of California found that dogs exhibit signs of jealousy.

9. Labrador Retrievers were ranked the most popular dogs in the US for the 25th year in a row.

10. Dogs' mental capabilities are on par with a 2-year-old human. They can recognize more than 150 words.

11. The bacteria, essentially dog's b.o, on a dog's feet makes them smell like corn chips.

12. Dogs can see color, and not only black and white. They can see primarily blue, yellow, gray and variations of those three colors.

13. Dogs hear best at 8,000 Hz. They also have 18 muscles in each ear.

14. Dogs curl up in a ball because of an age-old instinct to keep warm and protect their vital organs from predators.

15. Dogs are the best.

The last fun fact is clearly a universally known fact. There are a bunch more dog fun facts I did not cover. So get to researching because there is worlds more information out there, especially about individual dog breeds.