15 Disney Park Facts You Probably Didn't Know

Everybody loves Disney. But do you know it as well as you think you do?
37

1. There was originally supposed to be a ‘mythical beast’ section of Animal Kingdom.

The idea was scrapped early on, and we were given the traditional attractions we see today. Hence the not-so-random dragon hidden in the logo.

2. There are over 300 animals carved in the Tree of Life in Animal Kingdom.

3. The tree also has over 8,000 branches and over 102,000 leaves, each leaf being over a foot long.

It's a BIG tree.

4. In all Disney Parks, there is a trash can every thirty steps.

Through careful research, our magical friends decided that’s how long it takes someone to walk with around with garbage before they succumb to littering.

5. Cinderella's Castle in Magic Kingdom appears to be made of stone bricks when in fact it is made mostly of fiberglass and gypsum plaster.

One woman learned that the hard way when she unwittingly filed a lawsuit against the park claiming a brick from the castle fell on her head. In court, the Imagineers put her in her place, bringing a piece of the soft plaster with them to court, proving that her claim was impossible.

6. Water is free everywhere in Walt Disney World; all you have to do is ask for a cup at any food vendor.

As it should be.

7. The Hollywood Tower of Terror stands at a staggering 199 feet tall.

The only reason it is not 200 feet tall is to prevent the building from having to have blinking red lights per aviation regulation.

8. Coca-Cola is the official soda of Disney Parks. If you want a pop, be prepared for solely Coke products.

Not a Pepsi in sight.

9. As you exit the Haunted Mansion in Magic Kingdom, you see a pet cemetery hidden in plain sight. Among the tombstones, there is a little bronze statue of forgotten Disney character, Mr. Toad.

The memorial was erected in dedication to a Disney World favorite, Mr.Toad’s Wild Ride, which closed in 1998.

10. Mr. Toad also makes an appearance in the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, after it closed, was transformed into the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh ride. At the beginning of the attraction, there is a painting in which you can see Mr. Toad handing over the deed to Owl, symbolically giving his ride to the new characters.

11. Walt Disney World plans to open a section of Animal Kingdom devoted entirely to a real-life version of ‘Pandora – the World of Avatar’ in 2017.

12. The fastest ride in all of Walt Disney World is Test Track in Epcot.

It reaches a whopping sixty-five miles per hour.

13. There is said to be the ghost of an Imagineer named George, who supposedly tragically passed away while constructing the ride, that haunts the Pirates of the Caribbean at Magic Kingdom.

14. There are secret underground tunnels underneath Walt Disney World.

In the bowels of the park, the Disney Utilidor system stretches for miles upon miles and contain break rooms for the cast members, large dressing rooms, garbage chutes, and other magical treasures.

15. The pet cat shown at the beginning of the Carousel of Progress eventually 'dies' in the story, very subtly during the past.

As with the other characters, you see the animals age throughout the time periods. At the end of the ride, the family receives a new kitten for Christmas.