15 Defining Moments For A '90s Baby

15 Defining Moments For A '90s Baby

Somethings made us realize what we were becoming.

56
15 Defining Moments For A '90s Baby
Tumblr

Yes, this is another one of those articles about how amazing it was to be a kid that was born in the 1990s. But this article doesn't talk about the memories -- it talks about the defining moments when you understood how amazing it all was.

1. A sale on T-shirts at Hollister or Abercrombie

I'm sure about 80 percent of the people reading this article recognize this T-shirt. It might still be a thing for the pre-teens of today, but even though I don't want to admit it, a sale on T-shirts was certainly a highlight that defined my 12-year-old self.

2. Opening drum play of "Dance, Dance" or any Fall Out Boy song

You can now hear it in your head. When the opening drum play of pretty much any Fall Out Boy song came over the speakers at your middle school dance, you were immediately living it up.

3. The "Hannah Montana," "That's So Raven," "Suite Life" crossover

Now, I don't really remember what exactly happened, but I do remember the endless commercials that were saying that it was happening. Your eyes were glued to the television trying to figure out what would happen next.

4. Buying your first CD for your 10-year-old CD player

The first CD I ever got was Smashmouth's greatest hits album. I'm not very proud of that. I guess my love for "Shrek" made an impact on my first music interests.

5. Practicing "Crank That" in your bedroom

Once again, not something you will ever be proud of. But you wanted to be seen as one of the cool kids at your school. As soon as you heard about the dance being on Friday night at the church, you took to YouTube to learn it all.

6. When you questioned life when "All Grown Up" came on TV

It was terrifying. How could Nickelodeon ever do this to us? We watched "Rugrats" our whole childhood and never wondered what they were going to be like when they grew up. I guess now we know.

7. Stuffed-Crust Pizza Day in the cafeteria

I don't know if this was a normal thing at your elementary school, but this was the best lunch at mine. Nothing better than a carton of chocolate milk, lukewarm corn, and the decision of eating the crust or the pizza first. Haven't had a slice of stuffed-crust pizza since the sixth grade.

8. If you ever got an iPod Touch

You were a select few. We grew up in the time that Apple became the company it is today. An iPod Touch was mind-blowing to every single person on the school bus who struggled through Nanos, or even worse, a Shuffle. You can play games and listen to music?!

9. Your parents buying you an enV, or if you were insanely lucky, a SideKick

Having a full keyboard phone was one of the clutchest things you could have ever received. You said goodbye to texting on a little tiny keyboard and opened up a world of smiley faces and faster answers.

10. When you got "too cool" for signatures on text messages

This was a true sign of growing up. You finally moved on from hAvEiNg sOmEtHiNg TyPeD lIkE tHiS to just a plain old text message. Sorry, my eighth-grade girlfriend, not everyone needs to see who I'm dating every text.

11. Putting your whole life in your Facebook Box

Please tell me you remember Facebook boxes. They were this little box that sat under your profile picture. This is where you put the deepest quotes and all the initials of your best friends. Being in my Facebook box meant you were something really special.

12. Formspring

Whoever came up with Formspring was certainly not the smartest human being. Giving teenagers the power to post anonymous comments about each other never led to anything good happening.

13. Making a CD for your seventh-grade lover

We can see each other playing every single song on our iTunes to try to find 10 songs that were perfect for the love of our life for the past week. You googled every single song with a nice title to find out exactly what it says so your lover can hear everything you just can't seem to put into words.

14. Setting up a play date in the span of one phone call

This was a rare occasion. Setting up a play date with your best friend in one phone call was next to impossible when it really shouldn't have been. Just not everything could fall into place the perfect way.

15. Last but not least, moving on from your AIM username

We can still picture our own in our heads and they will never be something we are proud of. I remember how accomplished I felt when I got a grown up email and not my aim username being used as mine. There was no worse feeling than seeing that the username you wanted was already taken, so you had to add at least three numbers to the end of it.

These 15 moments showed how we grew up. They defined us.