14 Tips To Get You Through Finals Week

14 Tips To Get You Through Finals Week

Take my advice.

6
14 Tips To Get You Through Finals Week
http://steinhardt.nyu.edu

Finals are right around the corner. You're probably thinking, "How can I get through this?" Finals at the end of spring semester are tough. Summer is practically here and that's all most of us can think about. Plus, we are worrying about where to store our stuff, how to get home, and most of all, our summer plans. Don't worry. These tips will get you through the next two weeks.

1. Take breaks.

I'm serious. If you don't give yourself a few minutes here and there you'll get tired and burnt out. Go on a short walk or watch an episode of a show. You'll be more productive that way.

2. Go to sleep at normal hours.

I know a lot of college students believe that they should stay up all night to study, but you'll actually retain more and study better if you go to sleep by midnight and wakeup early. Aim for 8 hours, but 7 is a must.

3. Support your friends and talk to them.

They need it and so do you. Go grab food at the dining hall together. Speaking of...

4. Eat!

Really important. If you don't want to be fatigued and want to do your brain some good then you need to eat throughout the day.

5. Take care of yourself.

I don't mean get all dressed up and do your hair every morning, though it might help boost your confidence. Shower, brush your teeth, and do your daily routine. If you completely alter your habits you'll have a hard time focusing.

6. Coffee.

Need I say more? But don't rely on it. It's a nice boost and tastes nice, but if you think artificial energy from caffeine on no sleep is going to work...it's not. That being said, if you're not a coffee drinker, don't think you need to suddenly become one. You can be fine without it. However, many people do enjoy it.

7. Call your family.

It's nice to hear familiar voices that are there to support you. Hopefully they will encourage you and give you a reminder of why doing well on finals is important.

8. Cut out the wasted time.

Don't spend hours talking to friends or going out. Enough said.

9. Think of the future.

Remind yourself of why you are in college and what classes you need to do well in. Also, think about how once you finish you'll be on summer break! It's the final push. You can do it.

10. Commit.

When you sit down to study you must commit to really studying. Put the phone away and focus.

11. Turn off the phone.

This will help with number 10. If you have the willpower to do this, you can make it through studying.

12. Study in the best environment for yourself.

Can you study in a group? Can you focus with noise or chatter? Do you like to study outside? In well-lit rooms? In your room? Ask yourself these things and find the best place to study where you will be most productive. It helps to have a comfortable place to help you focus.

13. Turn off the music when reading.

Okay, there are exceptions. Some people can actually read while listening to music, but a lot of you pretend that you can. Classical music is the genre that tends to be backed for helping learning...everything else (usually music with lyrics) tends to be distracting. Focusing on the text or study guide you need to read instead of lyrics to your favorite song might be a good decision.

14. Don't worry.

Do the best you can. That's all you can do. If you put in the work and prepare the best that you can, then that is enough. You can't worry about things that are largely out of your control once you turn in the final. So give it your all, but don't break your back worrying.

Remember, you got this.