14 Tips To Make Cliché Resolutions Come True

New year, new me, am I right?

9

As old as the saying "new year, new me" is, resolutions can have a huge impact on how we start our year. Here are some resolutions and tips on how to follow through with your 2016 New Year's resolutions:

1. Get into shape

This is probably the most spoken resolution. You'll see the gym packed for about two or three weeks, and then everyone suddenly loses their motivation to keep their resolution going. This is because they didn't set goals. The goal to "get in shape" will lead to nothing. By setting goals of how many times you go to the gym each week, losing a certain amount of weight by a certain time, and planning out your exercises each gym session, you're resolution is more likely to become your lifestyle.

2. Eat healthy

This resolution also overlaps with "getting into shape." You need to make the effort of cutting out fast food and changing old habits. Do your research, talk to a nutritionist, and make the effort to be a healthier and happier you.

3. Cut out toxic relationships

This can be a tough one. In the past year, a lot of things changed, sometimes for the worse, others for the better. The new year is the perfect time to cut some loose ties with friends who aren't worth your time and energy. You don't need extra and unnecessary drama or negative vibes in your life.

4. "Be Happy"

The definition of happiness is different for everyone, but this should be your number one priority in life. Happiness isn't a destination, it's a journey, and you should always be doing things to stay on this path.

5. Learn how to do new things

Learning is a part of life. You could have a resolution to learn to play a new instrument or even learn how to stop shutting people out and build relationships. Set goals in aspects of your life that you want to work on.

6. "Do well this semester"

What every college student says before each semester, and yet rarely happens once the parties start. Buy a planner, get organized, and use it! Stay on schedule with your assignments and activities to balance your social life and academics. Plan time to go out and have fun but also put aside time for studying.

7. Decrease use of social media

This can be one of the most distracting and time-consuming part of our lives. Everyone spends way too much time "keeping up" with celebrities and checking what other people are instagraming that they aren't living life. Try to delete some apps, limit yourself to checking it once a day, or unfollow celebrities/people that aren't relevant to your life. Focus on your life and not everyone else's!

8. "Get my life together"

This can fall under many categories, whether it's job, school, gym related, etc. Get focused, set a goal for what you intend to change, and take action. Your life is your responsibility and no one else's.

9. Find a boyfriend/girlfriend

The cliché "if you go looking for it you'll never find it" kind of thing. Most people feel this way after not having anyone to kiss under the mistletoe or at midnight on NYE. However, it's not so much about finding a BF/GF, but being open to new people. Don't be so closed off and be open to dates you may not usually say yes to. Take control and ask out a boy you think is cute, and be social. Relationships can start from the strangest encounters, so be open and when the time is right it'll happen.

10. Stay connected with my family

Sometimes in college, it's really hard to just pick up the phone and call your parents between parties, exams, and studying. This year, try to make the effort and set aside time to take a trip home for the day, FaceTime with your parents, or even give them a phone call on the way to class. Family is most important and will be there forever, don't take it for granted.

11. Getting a better job

Or in many college cases, "get a job." Don't settle for anything—it is OK to be selfish sometimes and go after what you want. If you're resolution is to do more with your life, be ambitious and take control. Never settle.

12. Be smarter with money

After the holiday season and bank accounts are low, many people may rethink their spending habits (I know I am). Get more knowledge about your accounts, ways to budget your money, put a cap on spending limits, and find new ways to do it yourself instead of buying it.

13. Drink less (for a select few)

Drinking can take a major toll on the body and mind. Try to limit yourself to once or twice a weekend. Save time to do activities other than drinking, like traveling, gym time, etc. Even though this may not be many people's resolutions, keep it in your mind!

14. Do things for yourself

This coincides with being happy. To be happy, you have to do things for yourself. Your resolution should include things that make you happy, de-stress your body, and genuinely make you a better person. Try some new things and figure out exactly who you are to find your happiest and healthiest version of yourself.