14 Things You've Experienced As A Server

14 Awkward Things EVERY Server Experiences At Least Once, Like Getting A 4 Percent Tip

It's settled, I'm spitting in your coffee.

9722

I'm a server at a popular Italian restaurant in town and I KNOW all servers have experienced at least a few of these 14 things.

Terrible tippers during the holidays.

As the holiday season comes to an end, I am glancing at my bank account and noticing a significant difference in the numbers.

Many customers' excuse for lousy tipping in the wintertime is that they need to be careful with their spending because of the expenses that come with gift-giving, meal prepping, and traveling.

"I've got kids to care for" is one of my favorite excuses. Well, guess what! Servers need the money just as much as you do, especially during the holidays. Do not go out to eat if you don't want to tip your server!

Interrupting the prayer.

You run the food to your table. You say, "can I get you anything else?" They request something else like red pepper flakes or more napkins.

You re-enter with said requests with a big loud "ALRIGHT GUYS ENJOY YOUR –"…and you realize the table is in the middle of their pre-meal prayer. And then they hate you for the rest of the meal.

"How may we pray for you?"

Speaking of prayer, I've gotten this next one a few times. I bring the table their food and one of the customers asks my name. They then continue with "how may we pray for you today?"

I always want to say, "Well, I'm really tight on money right now," which would hopefully prompt them to leave a better tip at the end. The kicker is, no matter my answer, the tip is always less than 10 percent. How ironic.

Completely forgetting about a table.

Okay, I KNOW I'm not the only one who does this.

There are definitely times when you're super busy and one of your tables just naturally gets a little neglected. They somehow always seem to be the most patient people, thankfully.

To those who I've forgotten: I am sorry. I love you. You are enough. I was just busy.

Gaining weight because the food is so good.

I don't have much else to say about this. My restaurant has FREE BREAD…enough said.

Burning your fingers on the hot plates. 

You're holding a scalding hot plate with food right out of the kitchen. You approach your table and urgently ask "who had the (insert menu item here)" and they all just look at you blankly with no response while your little fingers are melting under the hot plate.

Finally, someone at the tables comes to and responds. You not so gracefully plop the plate down. You walk away wounded.

Enduring the sexist piggy men.

If you're a female server, I know you've had your share of number seven.

We sometimes have a table of men who are so fragile with their masculinity that they can't even sit across from each other in fear that their knees might accidentally touch and they suddenly become gay as a result.

Sometimes we get a not-so-subtle objectifying comment from the drunk at the bar. And the STARES! We even sometimes experience the men who simply won't respond to any question we ever ask them.

"More Dr. Pepper?" Nothing. "How's everything tasting?" Nothing. "Ready for the check?" NOTHING! I seriously just have to guess what they're thinking sometimes. I'm not sure what kind of complex that is, but I'm not a fan.

Constantly apologizing for running into other servers or staff.

If you work at a semi-small restaurant, turning the corner with hot plates or drinks is a DANGEROUS game.

My restaurant is itty bitty, and I think I say "sorry" under my breath at least 50 times a shift.

At the end of the day, no one really minds, but it's still a natural response to mutter "sorry" every time we bump into each other. We also metaphorically cross our fingers that someone isn't speeding around the corner the same time you're trying to deliver piping hot soup to your table.

The collision could be deadly.

Having a great time with your coworkers.

I've worked at my restaurant for almost a year now, and sometimes I catch myself just beaming at work because I'm surrounded by amazing men and women. Despite all the shi*ty things we experience, we have a good time together. Thank you fellow servers!

Panicking because NO ONE is picking up your shift.

Knowing you won't get a decent tip as soon as a group of teenagers walks in.

I don't mean to stereotype, but in my experience every single table of teenagers I've ever had left me with either no tip or a ridiculously small tip, yet they order an appetizer, salad, entrée, and dessert….each.

If you're a teenager and you're reading this, please stop.

Dealing with the drunk/hungover people.

These tables are either your best friends or worst enemies.

Sometimes, if you're lucky, the drunk ones will leave you an insanely generous tip because their frontal lobes are a little wacky. Either that or they completely forget to tip you at all after two bottles of wine and full meals because, well, their frontal lobes are a little wacky.

The hungover people are always too difficult to understand, but as long as you leave them a pitcher of water for the table, they are usually content.

Forgetting how to be a normal human as soon as you greet your table.

Many times I've approached a table and all of the English language leaves my body. I somehow muster up some form of gibberish and have to start over. It's embarrassing, but when we've had a rush and are currently dealing with five other tables, sometimes our brains become mush momentarily.