You Should Tip 20 Percent Or More

To Those Who Actually Tip 20 To 30 Percent, You Are 100 Percent Appreciated

You don’t realize the impact you make on servers.

502139
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKZ-Mf1HVwc&t=36s

I've been serving and bartending for about 6 months now. When I first started, I didn't think servers really got stiffed. I assumed most customers were fairly generous and tipped 15-20% depending on the service.

I was so wrong.

When I first got a bad tip, I was hard on myself. I thought I had done something wrong. I thought I could've done better. I've learned no matter how hard you work, not everyone is going to tip well. I've also learned a bunch of people don't realize tips are the only form of income server so get (our low hourly pay gets taxed which leaves us with less than $10 in our paychecks).

A couple weeks ago, I had a family of four with a $138 bill. I did everything they asked, made sure they had everything they needed, and took care of them to the best of my ability.

They left no tip.

About a week later, I had another family sit down in my section. Of course, I treated them the same as the other family. I was just as polite, friendly, and helpful as I could be. Their bill was about $130-$140.

They left me a $200 tip and told the manager how great of a time they had and how much they enjoyed the service provided.

Before I could thank them, they were already out of the building.

I remember looking at the receipt stunned because I really didn't know how to react. At first I thought I was being tricked, but the individual intentionally wrote $200 as the tip.

Of course, these are two extreme examples, but the over-tipper made up for every bad tip I had received in the past. It made up for that.

For those of you who even tip 20-30%, thank you.

You, too, are making up for those who don't tip and give servers the money they were lacking. We appreciate your kind gesture, and I promise your generosity does not go unnoticed.