14 Things Daughters Should Tell Their Fathers More Often

Thanks for not tackling my new boyfriend.

515
Kylene Ronayne

As Father’s Day weekend comes around, I can’t help but notice the lack of excitement to honor the men who dare to change the messy diaper that creeps up their babies’ backs. Or the men who continue to teach their sons how to throw a baseball, despite a broken nose or two. Or the men who walk their sweet, innocent angels down the aisle on their wedding days. Father’s Day surely does not attain the same hype as Mother’s Day, and I have always wondered why. Dads deserve as much credit when it comes to shaping their children’s’ lives, and as a daddy’s girl, here are a few things that I believe all dads definitely do not hear enough from their daughters.

1. "Thank you."

Something that’s so easy to say, but can also never be said enough. These two words can go a long way with anyone that you simply appreciate in life. However, dads are definitely handed the short end of the stick when it comes to their daughters admitting these words to them. Whether it be for something he specifically did, or if it’s just to thank him for everything he sacrifices for you, thank your fathers because they’re pretty awesome.

2. "You're right."

It seems like moms get all the praise for always being right, when in fact, dads are right about a lot of things too! Like that one time he “had a bad feeling” about that guy who ended up breaking your heart. Or when he told you to save money before you left for college (whoops). A dad’s advice is just as valuable as a mom’s, and us daughters should acknowledge those moments when he preaches the truth straight up.

3. "No, I'm not just calling because I need money."

Obviously, there are times when we call him up for just exactly that reason. But girls, you are allowed to call your dad just to chat! I recently set up a time to talk to my dad each week that worked for both of our schedules. Surprisingly, catching up with him was one of the things I looked forward to most on those days. So save the baby voice and the “pretty pleaseeee” for another time, and pick up the phone to have an actual conversation with him!

4. "Have a good day.

This is something that I have texted to my dad in the mornings every now and then. A small gesture like that can have a significant impact on his day. It just shows that you are thinking about him and it’s a chance for you to enjoy some of the cute bitmojis he decides to send back.

5. "I need your help."

I know it can be hard for girls to admit they are in need of some guidance at times, especially to their fathers. Instead of overwhelming mom with all your crazy dilemmas, open up to dad every now and then! Who knows, he could give you a whole new perspective that you and your mom had never thought of and actually end up solving whatever problems are on your mind.

6. "Yes, you can be hard on the boys I bring home."

Let’s face it, ladies — it is not easy for our dads to just simply hand us off to the next guy we bring through the door. In fact, you should actually want your dad to be tough on the other men you bring into your life. After all, he is the one that knows you and will always care for you the most. Therefore, allow him to unleash his protective side and enjoy watching your new bae squirm as your dad threatens to break both of his legs if he ever hurts his little girl.

7. "I'm not always embarrassed by you."

In fact, I sometimes think it’s cute when you decide to whip out some of the classic dad jokes in front of my friends. There always seems to be an unspoken rule that daughters have to be embarrassed by their fathers at all times, but that’s not necessarily true. A lot of times, the things that seem to embarrass you really don’t matter or mean much to the people with you.

8. "You have made me the person I am today."

Whether you like to admit it or not, your dad has had a huge influence on the person you are. It’s nice to remind him of that. Parenting is tough, but one of the joys of it is watching your children grow up and knowing that you had an impact on where they end up. You have acquired so many amazing qualities and values from you father, so let him know that you are grateful for that.

9. "I am proud of you."

The number of things he has given up for you is endless. We should be able to tell him how proud we are of all the things that he accomplishes on top of being an A+ dad. We should not only proud of him, but we should also remind him that we are proud to be his daughter.

10. "You are funny."

Out of all the things on this list, I think this one will definitely be the one to blow him away. His humor is something he takes pride in, and you should be able to acknowledge that some of his jokes and comments actually made you crack a smile!

11. "I'm sorry."

Little do daughters ever admit they were wrong about anything, especially to their fathers. Getting into an argument with your dad is one of the worst feelings in the world, and sometimes that can cause us to become hot-headed and incapable of apologizing. Saying these simple words, whether at the end of a minor disagreement or screaming match, will not only make him happy, but they will make you feel much better about the situation too!

12. "I miss you."

After my first few months of college, I received a small package that had a teddy bear and a poem titled "I miss you". It was from my dad and I think I bawled my eyes out for about three days straight. Not only did I suddenly understand how much I missed him, I also shamefully realized that I had not said these words at all to him. Daughters, though we hate to confess it, we do miss our dads.

13. "I love you."

Cannot stress the importance of reassuring your dad that you really do love him. Although it seems like a given, hearing those words will bring tears to his eyes at times because he feels like he has succeeded as a father. The love between a father and daughter is definitely stronger than you think.

14. "I will always be your little girl."

No matter where life takes you, no matter who you meet and end up marrying, your father will always be your #1 man. He is the one who was there from the beginning, watching you grow up and bloom into a beautiful woman. He knows what makes you happy or sad, he’s been with you through the good and the bad. Your dad will always be your first love, and for that, you should be proud because that means you should never settle for anything less.