14 Problems Every Tall Girl Can Relate To

This one goes out to anyone who has been asked, "How's the weather up there?"

71

I'm on the borderline of being 6 feet tall. Well, I'm pretty sure. I don't exactly know because whenever the nurse records my height, she can never reach the top of my head to read the specific measurement.

So you can say that I'm freakishly tall.

Growing up, I could never embrace my height. I would constantly wish that I was a "perfect" height of about 5'7" and wore a 9 shoe size. However, I had to learn how to accept that this is the height that God and my mama gave me, and I needed to make the most of it!

With all of my years of NOT being a vertically challenged person comes plenty of problems, but also some funny moments along the way.

This world wasn't designed for those who are tall, but at the same time most people would kill for our height, so it's not all bad.

1. Getting the dreaded "You're so tall!" exclamation

Tell me something I don't know, why don't you. It takes everything I've got in me not to make the Blair Waldorf side-eye expression to the person who said it.

2. Or better yet, hearing the "You're so BIG!" comment

Yeah this one makes for a slight wave of humiliation to come over you.

3. But, you wish you had a dime every time you heard this one...

4. You're the designated selfie taker

You have to put to work those long arms of yours! In situations where you aren't the selfie taker, you already know that your spot for the picture is back row, center.

5. Clothes and shoe shopping are struggles

Shopping can be a super difficult thing to accomplish as a tall girl. Finding size 11 shoes or tall style jeans sometimes feels like you've embarked on an exploration to find a hidden treasure chest.

6. Hugs

I love hugs, but they can be awkward with those who are shorter than you. And by shorter I'm talking about anyone under 5'9". Quite recently I've noticed my elbow usually hits the person's chin and the hug ends with an apology given by me.

7. "Do you play basketball?"

I particularly used to loathe this question when I was younger, until the day in 7th grade when I was given the opportunity to play in an actual basketball game. I was beyond awful and got benched, so thankfully that question wasn't asked again.

8. Being the tallest person in your grade

In elementary and middle school, I was the tallest person in my grade. Which definitely made me stand out (pun intended) when I didn't want to. I distinctly remember being overjoyed when one of the guys surpassed me in height.

Let's not even talk about those middle school dances though. Can you say awkward?

9. Public restroom stall doors

They are always way too short! Which makes you have to crouch down in order to not see over the top of them.

10. To wear heels or not to wear heels? That is the question.

Do I want to be even more of a giant today or not? Forget those negative comments in your head and go for the heels! If you're a tall girl like me, a very entertaining activity is to go into any shoe store, try on the tallest pair of heels, and strut around. It's fun to see people's reactions!

11. Grocery store shelf helper

I have lost track of all of the times my mom and I have been asked to reach a top-shelved item for a fellow shopper. It's helpful to others when we put our height to good use.

12. Your feet hang off the end of the bed

Ugh, it's simply annoying that beds can't be longer for us tall folks.

13. Feeling sort of bad that you're blocking people while standing

This guilty feeling creeps in my mind when there are people behind me at concerts or other events. When people start to grumble at this, I want to turn around and say, "I'm sorry for being crazy tall, but I can't help it."

14. Your fast walk is like a slow jog.

It is hard for your short friends to keep up with you.