14 Early 2000's MTV Shows That Desperately Need A Comeback

How many do you remember?

811
Vimeo

For today's eager 20-somethings, the sources of most TV nostalgia are those classic shows on MTV. In the 1980's, smooth criminals and pretty young things alike could be found hiking up their legwarmers and crimping their Farrah-feathered 'dos in front of their television sets, furiously shouting, "I want my MTV!". It was then that the 1990's introduced a new wave of programming for the network.

Reality shows such as "The Real World" and "The Jenny McCarthy Show" became a staple of the channel's teen scene, who hungered for programming that made them think rather than merely listen. And while both of these decades were crucial to molding the teenage form of those generations, there was truly nothing like the good-ole 2000's when it came time to redraw cultural and political boundaries in the best way possible. Hits like "16 and Pregnant" and "True Life" redefined everything it meant to be a "normal" teenager, while "Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica" made us question the difference between chicken and fish. And now, in 2017, when reboots of iconic shows like "My Super Sweet Sixteen" and "Fear Factor" are making their rounds on the legendary channel, we can't help but imagine what other throwbacks deserve a second go at it.

1. "Parental Control"

What's more awkward than a regular, run-of-the-mill blind date? How about two consecutive blind dates that have been hand-picked by your parents? As cringe-y as the script was, "Parental Control" gave teens a comedic reminder that no matter how unfair your parents were towards you, at least they didn't sign you up for this show.

2. "The Hills"

Originally created as an even juicier spin-off of fan-favorite "Laguna Beach", this real-life, West Coast version of "Gossip Girl" introduced us to the reality royalty that is Heidi Montag, Spencer Pratt, and company. The plot followed LA's resident "it girl" Lauren Conrad as she balances her relationships, career goals, and living the California lifestyle with her socialite friends in tow. A gentle reminder that being pretty, rich, and popular can still lead to a stressful life.

3. "Friendzone"

It's one of those shows where you just question why it ever left the airwaves in the first place. Friendzone told the stories of best friends a la "True Life"-styled documentaries, one of whom is looking to turn the friendship into a relationship. Bringing this show back includes bringing back all the feels. *sniffle*

4. "Jersey Shore"

Television was unprepared for the firestorm of aerosol hairspray and UV tanning light that radiated from "Jersey Shore". For six (yes, it was six) seasons, little "guidos" and "guidettes" followed the summer adventures of Snooki, The Situation, and DJ Pauly D down in the historical Seaside Heights, New Jersey. While simultaneously providing us with a new vocabulary of slang (i.e. "juicehead", "grenade"), a poof-ed up hairdo as iconic to the times as "The Rachel", and a true fairytale romance (Ronnie and Sammi, we're looking at you), this show depicted a real family bond between its castmates. Needless to say, we wouldn't hate the idea of a reunion season.

5. "Daria"

Before there was April Ludgate, Daria Morgendorffer was the original Queen of Sarcasm.

6. "TRL"

"Total Request Live" was the show you rushed home from school to watch. With everyone from Britney Spears to Mariah Carey making legendary appearances, "TRL" easily became an MTV classic that we would love to see make a comeback.

7. "Punk'd"

Where else could you see your favorite celebrities of the aughts get pulled over, arrested, and seriously duped? Plus, Ashton Kutcher proved to be the perfect host to coordinate Hollywood's most notorious prank war.

8. "The Buried Life"

What do you want to do before you die? That is the question that these four best friends ask viewers as they cross off their biggest bucket list items on this MTV hit. And while it only lasted for one season, its impact will live in millenials' hearts for a very long time.

9. "My Life as Liz"

Liz Lee is just your average girl living deep in the heart of blonde-haired-blue-eyed Texas. While the other girls at her high school are primping between classes and partying it up before graduation, Liz pals around with her all-male group of fellow nerds. A chance to see Liz post-grad and working somewhere in New York City would be the ultimate MTV throwback.

10. "Pimp My Ride"

With the growth of car culture over the last decade, a reboot of this extreme makeover show would bring back all of the mems.

11. "Silent Library"

What is the only thing funnier than pulling off insane challenges with your friends for cash money? Needing to be absolutely, 100% silent during the entire thing. This MTV hit even included celebrity cameos like Jimmy Fallon, Justin Beiber, and Co.

12. "Jackass"

As one of the most iconic shows in MTV history and a number of feature films, Steve-O, Bam and friends gave us the cultural phenomenon that is Jackass. A revival of this show would be one of epic proportions. (Bonus: there's even talk of a new movie about New Jersey's Action Park!)

13. "Boiling Points"

One of the more low-key MTV hidden camera shows, "Boiling Points" tested the limits (and the patience!) of unsuspecting LA-ers with everything from lousy waiters, rude dates, and much more lunacy. Plus, Lady Gaga was featured on an episode when she was still a raven-haired Stefani Germanotta.

14. "Disaster Date"

Building off of the hidden camera concept, "Disaster Date" placed their targets on the absolute worst blind dates of their lives, thanks to the help of some personal pet peeves from their friends. We can only imagine what a 2017 version of this show would look like.