13 Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting College

As told by Spongebob Squarepants

19
tumblr

1. Choosing your major does NOT mean you're choosing your life career.

Yes, choosing a major can be stressful, but remember that you can always change it. When you've settled on a major that, also, does not 100% mean that your career will be in that field. Relax... major in something you think you may enjoy having a profession in and don't overthink it.

2.Your roommate does not need to be your best friend.

Make sure it's someone you enjoy living with, but they do not need to be with you every second of the day. Sometimes sleeping in the same room and sharing living quarters with someone is all you can handle. If your roommate is someone you generally get along with, there is no need to pressure the relationship into being "best friends"

3. The library, however, is your best friend.

Finding time to quietly study and do your work is important. Sometimes the library serves as a place where you can just clear your head. Spending breaks from class in the library is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

4. The freshman 15, although real, does not happen to everyone

Don't freak out... If you eat healthy and tend to work out, chances are, you will not gain the freshman 15. Don't go crazy trying to restrict calories trying to save room for drinking... keep an eye on what you eat and try to remember to hit the gym and you'll be just fine.

5. You will regret spending stupid money

Although Insomnia Cookies and Dominos every night of the weekend is tempting... the $5 here and there add up. When it comes to buying your textbooks or getting a dress for formal, you're gonna regret the money you threw away on take out every night.

6. Your friends freshman year probably won't be your friends senior year.

People change and grow apart and its OKAY. Not living near certain people and having class with new people can cause a natural change in who you spend your time with. Forcing friendships will lead to a lot of unnecessary stress, remember to try to let frienships take their course and enjoy your time with the friends your with (because some end up being your friends for a lifetime.)

7. You will get sick if you don't sleep enough

Staying up all night to study for finals may seem like a good idea in theory, but without sleep you won't do well on tests regardless of how much you've studied. Waking up early and going to bed late will lead to exhaustion that will catch up with you quickly.

8. But don't forget to go out and have fun

You'll regret spending all your time in college being stressed out and fixated on your work. Spend some time being irresponsible because later in life you won't be able to. Going out on the weekends isn't the end of the world if during the week you stay focussed! You'll create memories that will stick with you well after college is over.

9. Don't fixate your mind on the future

Focus on right now. Do your best in school, make friends and enjoy your time in college. If you only think only about the things you do affecting your future you will overwhelm yourself unnecessarily. Although you want a successful future, remember that present happiness is always important.

10. Having a significant other is not 100% necessary.

Comparing yourself to your friends and people on social media may lead you to believe being in a relationship is the best thing in the world. Remember that when in college not having a significant other is not the end of the world. Having fun with friends and focussing on yourself is just as important as romance when in college.

11. It is possible, however, to have a successful relationship in college.

People constantly break up with their significant other after high school due to the fact that they're going away for college. While this may work for some people, it's not totally necessary. Relationships in college can be fun and successful without hindering your college experience.

12. Get ready to meet the kinds of people you didn't know existed.

Think of the strangest person you've ever met... Someone even stranger could be your lab partner. This may seem scary, but you can learn a lot from surrounding yourself with different kinds of people. Whether they're the coolest person you've ever laid eyes on, or someone you didn't necessarily click with, meeting different types of people teaches you many life skills

13. And remember to enjoy every second of it...

Even freshman year... when things are awkward and you feel nervous. Embrace that feeling because one day you're going to miss it. Most things you do in college are new experiences that you will remember for the rest of your life. Embrace change... embrace the people you meet... and enjoy your time in college because it is fleeting.