11 Things To Do This Summer Instead of Netflix

A list basically helping you come up with something to answer the question "What did you do this summer?"

32
UMass Medical School

At the beginning of every school year, college students across the country are faced with the question, "What did you do this summer?" It's an awkward question sometimes, especially when you did not go on a huge vacation or adventure. I have heard people say, "This summer I finished like five shows on Netflix!" Well good for you, if that makes you happy, good for you. But some people don't want to admit that's all that they did. So here are some things that can help you answer the question of "What did you do this summer?"

1. Find free events going on in your town or in a town close by

If you're a student trying to find something to it can be a struggle because as students we are poor. So, look for something to do in your town for free. Lots of cities have movies or concerts in the park, farmers markets, art markets/festivals and more. These are usually so much fun and it's free to go so go and enjoy it.

2. Make a reading list

With Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime becoming more popular reading is becoming less of a trend and fewer people are reading. So this summer make a reading list of books that you always thought looked interesting but never had time to read during the school year. Reading and tanning is a great combination and will probably help you save on your data plan!

3. Actually, try to finish reading the books on your list

It's one thing to make a reading list of books you want to read this summer. It's another to actually accomplish reading your reading list. So sit down, turn off Netflix and read. Reading is also proven to help you make you wiser and sleep better and we all could use some more wisdom and sleep!

4.Use this extra time to get your life together

With the relaxing vibes of summer, it makes the perfect time to help get your life together (literally at me right now). Summer is the perfect time to make that LinkedIn account so many people have been telling you to make, study for the MCAT or the LSAT, apply for professional or graduate school, whatever it is summer is the perfect time to get on it.

5. Take a shopping trip

Nothing says relaxing like retail therapy. Take a shopping trip to an actual store. Going shopping in a store means you are setting time aside to go shopping and experiencing stores have to offer. It gets you out of the house (if you've been stuck working on summer classes like me) and allows you to be social. So grab a friend and go get some retail therapy.

6. Find a job that you love

Summer is the perfect time to find a job (I know that sounds boring and saddening to realize summers are different in college, but it’s true). Some companies need more help during the summers and some businesses are only seasonal so summertime is the perfect time to find a job that you love. So, go out and look for one. Not only does it make you happy, but it boosts your resume as well.

7. Take a class that you need to take online

In college, we all have classes we just do not want to take. Taking it online during the summer is a great option because even though it is not the most fun option it is way better to be able to take that calculus class you have been dreading to take in your pajamas rather than sitting in a classroom.

8. Workout

Working out during and summer are a match made in heaven. Summer is the time everyone wants to be in shape and with the relaxing atmosphere of summer, there is more time to work out. Plus, many gyms have summer deals for college students (perfect for the broke college student inside all of us).

9. Write handwritten letters to your friends

There is a lot of power in a handwritten note these days. Some college students work as a camp counselor and they love receiving mail since they are cut off from technology for the most part. Write them a letter telling them you’re hoping they are having a great summer and that you are thinking of them. It will make their day, I promise. If you do not have any college friends working as camp counselors another good idea is to write letters for the girls in sororities that are disaffiliated with your sorority for the summer (for example, Rho Chi, Pi Chi, Gamma Chi, or whatever your school calls them) it really makes them so happy to see letters from their sisters while they are apart from your chapter. Even if you don’t know them extremely well, still tell them you are thinking of them, I guarantee it will make them feel special.

10. Take a road trip

With college, summers mean long distance friendships. It’s so sad and terrible, but if you’re bored this summer take a road trip and visit those friends! Go see their hometown, eat at their favorite restaurants, and catch up.

11. Learn to cook something new

If you learn to cook something new (or even start to learn to cook, which I still need to do) you can go back to school and have good food and impress your friends. Enough said.

Now go out and make some memories this summer.