13 Things You Must Know Going Through High School

Welcome to the best and worst years of your life.

275

High school could possibly be the worst or the best four years of your life. High school in movies and TV shows is not even close to high school in real life. So here are 13 things you must know going through the reality of high school:

1. You lose friendships.

You will lose friends in high school, it's inevitable. However, as much as it sucks it's not the end of your life. You will meet new friends. You will meet better friends. Do not chase people who do not make an effort to be present in your life.

2. Yes, grades are important but do not let it consume your life.

Grades are important from freshman year to senior year but they do not define how successful your life will be. Do not procrastinate because eventually you will go crazy while trying to write a 6 page paper at 3 in the morning. Keep your grades up but enjoy your life as well.

3. You will face obstacle through high school but you will get through them.

In high school it will seem that every trouble you come across is the end of the world. It isn't, I promise. You will get through them and eventually you will look back and realize that mountain was really just a molehill.

4. Befriend your teachers, you'll thank me later.

Be nice to your teachers, make friends with the ones you can. Later, perhaps senior year they will be your greatest treasure when you have last minute favors. Even after graduation, when you have a paper worth half your grade they will be there to revise that paper and help you out.

5. Don't think you have to manage everything at once.

Do not try to manage schoolwork, sports, a job, social life, and sleep all at once. Relax and go for a walk. You will figure it out but do not stress about it now.

6. You don't have to decide what you are going to do with your life at 17.

Deciding what you are going to do for the rest of your life is a terrifying thing. College is for finding your life calling. High school is for trying new things and pursuing things you are passionate about.

7. Date when you are ready.

Being single is the least of your worries in high school. The movies give you unrealistic ideas of how high school romances really are. Not everyone is dating. Most likely the love of your life is not sitting in front of you in algebra.

8. Go to as many sporting events and after-school activities as you can.

Go, participate, have fun. These events are where friends are made, this is where memories are made. Dress up for the cheer blocks, participate in all of the homecoming festivities. These are the stories you will tall your kids about your high school years.

9. It's okay if you have no idea what the teacher is talking about, we've all been there.

It's okay, ask the teacher for help. They don't want to fail you. Asking for help doesn't make you not cool, but it will hurt you in the long run. And trust me you most likely are not the only one that doesn't get it.

10. Don't stress about making this "the best years of your life" high school is different for everyone.

For some people high school is the worst years of their life, others it's the best. Everyone has a different experience. Have fun with what YOU want to do.

11. Don't get caught up in the drama, none of it will matter in two weeks.

Drama in high school is pointless. In two weeks, it won't matter, and it especially won't matter in years after high school. Either you'll be friends again in two weeks, or you weren't meant to be friends. High school is simple, don't complicate it with drama.

12. Ask your crush out, you'll regret it later if you don't.

Being in a relationship in high school is not a big deal but at the same time ask out that cute guy that sits beside you in biology. If he says yes, you have a date if not the rejection will sting but you will get over it and you'll know he's not meant for you.

13. You won't be the same person when you graduate.

Things happen in high school, you lose friends, make new friends, fall in love, get your heart broken. You fall down, you get up and get stronger. You won't be the same person on graduation day as you were on the first day of freshman year.

Last but certainly not least, high school goes by fast. You will miss it. Make your own new mistakes and learn from them. Growing up sucks, so enjoy it while you can.