13 Struggles Of Being In An International Relationship

Being in love with someone from across the world is very rewarding, but it comes with it's fair share of difficulties.

99
Jessica Orczeck

1. The Time Difference

You may wake up to a sweet text or call in the middle of the night because your significant other forgot that there is a six hour time difference.Or they just really missed you, the interpretation is all up to you.

2. Language Barrier

In the beginning there is a lot of confusion and speaking in slang is not a viable option. Then when you speak to fast, the words just don't make sense. It takes a lot of patience.

3. It Can Be Expensive

"You're only expensive once a year." - a special someone

The travel is worth it, if you can afford it. With love and support anything is possible.

4. Parents

They might not be supportive at first, but hopefully they will learn to see the world through your eyes.

5. Holidays

Feeling lonely becomes a norm on the holidays, Valentine's Day Skype dates are a real thing people!

6. Eternal Third Wheeling

When all your friends are dating you'll most likely be tagging along to join in the fun, it's like a double date... but just a really depressing version.

7. Double Dates Don't Exist

This is unless you can get your best friend and their date in the same country as you and yours.

8. People wonder if your significant other is real

Some people get suspicious when you say that your significant other is in another country, but those are the people who do not know you so they don't count.

9. Communication

This ties in the languages and time differences, it can be a real struggle to make it work, but with some diligence and careful planning you'll know whats going on with each others lives. Snail mail can actually be really sweet and fun.

10. Cultural differences

Christmas traditions are different around the world, so are religions, and foods. There are so many things to accept and adapt too, like think yogurt for every meal.

11. Only Seeing Each Other Once A Year

It sucks, it really does. In reality they are probably the best moments you will ever spend with that person.

12. Your friends may envy you, but they don't know the struggles

Yes, I get it. I travel the world to see my man and you only get to go to Red Lobster for your fancy dates. But seriously, having someone to cuddle with at night would be nice for a change.

13. Saying Goodbye

Public meltdowns are only okay if you are 2 years old or leaving your best friend on the other side of the world. Crying in the airport is the worst, but it can be easier to make it through security.

These are just some ideas that I had, feel free to comment your experiences! I'd love to hear from you!