13 Tips To Know Before You Get A Spray Tan

Please don't just walk into the salon unprepared

186

If you're planning on getting a spray tan, you definitely should plan ahead!

1. Do Your Research

Photo by Andrew Neel on Unsplash

Look up info about spray tans and research different spray tan companies near you. Look at reviews and talk to your friends who have gotten them.

2. Exfoliate, Exfoliate, Exfoliate

Photo by Amplitude Magazin on Unsplash

Exfoliate to get the dead skin off and help soften your skin. This will help prevent you from getting a splotchy tan.

3. Shave Beforehand

Photo by bruce mars on Unsplash

Shave beforehand because shaving right after can cause your tan to fade quicker.

4. Don't Wear Any Products

Photo by Glow Repose on Unsplash

Don't wear makeup, lotions, deodorant, or perfume going into your tan. This can leave a barrier on your skin and can cause streaking.

5. Decide What You'll Wear

Photo by Yuliya Kosolapova on Unsplash

Decide what you'll want to wear for the spray tan. Some people go nude while others wear a bikini or just a thong. It's up to you based on your comfort level and if you're okay with some tan lines.

6. Ask Your Spray Tan Technician About Colors

Photo by Christopher Campbell on Unsplash

Ask them what they think will work best on you. Look at photos of people who got that color sprayed on them. If you have any concerns, talk to your technician about them beforehand. Don't be afraid to let them know it's your first spray and ask any questions you have!

7. Take Off Jewelry

Photo by Liana Mikah on Unsplash

Don't wear necklaces, rings, bracelets, watches, etc. These will leave tan lines and can also get your jewelry dirty.

8. Wear Loose Clothes After

Photo by Lauren Richmond on Unsplash

Wear loose clothing and preferably something dark colored. You don't want your clothes rubbing on the fresh tan. This can remove the color from your skin or possibly stain your clothes.

9. Try To Avoid Moisture

Photo by Ishan @seefromthesky on Unsplash

Try to avoid working out after because the sweat can mess up the color. Also try to avoid going in the rain, swimming, or showering for a bit.

10. Wait To Shower

Photo by Gregory Pappas on Unsplash

Different people will tell you different times of how long to wait. Try to wait at least 6-8 hours before showering and sleep in your tan if you want, and then shower the next morning. The first shower should be a quick rinse without using products or scrubbing.

11. Pat Dry

Photo by Denny Müller on Unsplash

After showering, pat dry. Do NOT rub your skin dry with the towel.

12. Moisturize

Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

Moisture daily or even twice a day to keep your skin glowing. Try to avoid lotions with oils that may fade your tan.

13. Avoid Exfoliants, Harsh Soaps, and Oil-Based Products

Photo by Viktor Forgacs on Unsplash

These can make your tan fade quicker so try to avoid them. Also avoid pore strips, waxing, etc.