13 Beauty Tips And Tricks That Amazingly Aren't Total B.S.

I've scoured the web and tested all the most reputable beauty tips, tricks, and hacks so you don't have to!

645

If you're someone who owns a smartphone, places a lot of importance on self-maintenance, and has access to social media networks like Instagram and Pinterest, then you've probably scrolled through hundreds of beauty tips and tutorials during your free time. Since the explosion of social media over the last decade, the internet has been flooded with self-made beauty bloggers who have crafted careers out of trying new beauty products and pioneering their own tricks to create their perfect, individualized look.

Lucky for you, I've scoured the web and tested all the most reputable beauty tips, tricks, and hacks so you don't have to! Here are 13 beauty secrets that are not complete B.S.

1. Dry mascara? Put a few drops of contact solution in your tube.

If you're anything like me, you might be a little bit of a makeup hoarder. I will keep a mascara or a tube of lipstick way longer than I'm supposed to, and I don't feel bad about it! If you're ever running low on time or money and you don't have access to buying a new tube of mascara, add a few drops of contact saline solution to an old mascara tube and pump the wand a few times. Voila! Your favorite mascara has been resurrected. You're welcome.

2. In the summer, opt for a light BB cream rather than a heavy foundation.

As the seasons change, so do your skin's needs. In the hot summer months, rather than caking on a heavy foundation that's basically facepaint, opt for a lighter, dewier look with a tinted BB cream. BB creams are great for on-the-go makeup looks because it's a moisturizer, primer, foundation, and sometimes an SPF all in one. With just a little dollop, you can give your skin break from the heavy foundations and transform your complexion from dull and dry to hydrated and vibrant.

3. Invest in some spiraled bobby pins.

These little babies shed precious minutes off of your hair routine while creating the perfect messy bun or a sleek hold on your updos. Easy and fun to use, just gather your hair into whatever style you want (bun, French twist, etc.), and screw the pins into your updo right against the scalp to create a stronghold that can withstand any day in the office, workout, wedding, prom, or errands-run.

4. Coconut oil is the most versatile/useful thing you can keep in your bathroom.

My family has been singing the praises of this stuff for years. Coconut oil is the holy grail of the beauty world because it can serve so many purposes. Use it as a natural moisturizer, makeup remover, shaving cream, hair mask, cuticle oil, anti-fungal cream, etc. The possibilities are endless, but for all of these great uses, you really can't afford not having a jar of coconut oil under your sink.

5. Check the expiration date on your makeup.

A lot of people don't know that things like lotion, toothpaste, and makeup can expire if not used for a very long time. The next time you pick up a new beauty product from the store, check the back label. Look for a little container graphic with a number in the middle. If the number says "12m" then you have 12 months to use that product before it goes bad!

6. Use toothpaste or crushed aspirin as a zit cream.

We've all been there, waking up on the morning of a very important day that you have to go to some very important event, and you've got a bulging red planet growing on your forehead. Do not try to pop the little sucker. If you're out of zit cream or you just need a quick fix, grab your tube of toothpaste or make a zit paste out of crushed aspirin and water and put a dollop on the zit. The zit will flatten and the redness will subside, making it easier to cover a pimple up.

7. Improve the pigment of your pencil-eyeliner by heating it up.

Now don't go throwing all of your eyeliners in the microwave. There's a safer way to go about it. Sharpen the eyeliner, and then grab your hairdryer. Hold the eyeliner about a foot away from the blowing hot air for about 7 seconds. Then test it on your hand and see the difference between the heated, softened liner, and the regular liner by itself. You can't beat that rich, heavy pigment!

8. Exfoliate your lips with a dry toothbrush before applying lipstick.

Your lips are a hub for dead skin, especially in the winter. Rather than slabbing on a heavy lipstick on your cracked, flaky lips, gently brush away all the dry skin from your lips. You won't believe the difference in the way your lips look and feel. This extra step is definitely worth your time for the perfect pouty pucker.

9. Mix powdered bronzer with your moisturizer for a perfect last minute tan.

Don't have any time to get a spray tan? Skip the booth and head for your bathroom. Make your own homemade self-tanner by mixing powdered bronzer with a dollop of your favorite moisturizer and apply to wherever you feel you need a tan. This is a useful tip because you can control the amount of bronze you put in the lotion and tailor the tan to your personal preference. Now you can glow all the way!

10. Invest in pointed cotton swabs.

Regular cotton swabs are okay for a quick nail polish touch up or cleaning your keyboard, but pointed cotton swabs are a game-changer when it comes to fixing your makeup or carving out the perfect cat-eye in your eyeliner. The precision tip is perfect for grabbing those tiny flecks of mascara that decided to fall on your eyeshadow that you just spent 15 minutes blending. Save yourself the frustration of having to start your whole makeup routine over and pick up some pointed cotton swabs!

11. Pick bold eyes or bold lips, but never both.

Using makeup is a fun way to express your individuality and explore what makes you feel beautiful. However, you should remember that sometimes less is more, and you don't always have to go overboard to achieve the look you want. Balance out your face by making the decision between bold eyes or bold lips. If you're going to wear deep, vampy purple on your lips, you might want to opt for a soft, nude eye. If you're going for a sultry smoky eye, then perhaps a soft pink on your lips will be just enough. It's all about balance!

12. Give your skin a breather!

Some days wearing makeup just isn't necessary. Sure it feels nice to look good and feel positive about your appearance, but there are certainly more important things in life than having a full face of makeup on every day. Give your skin a break a couple days a week and just go for an SPF moisturizer and a light coat of mascara. Your pores, eyelashes, and skin will thank you later, I promise. Plus, whoever said a natural face wasn't beautiful?

13. Sleep on a silk pillowcase.

Think about how much you toss and turn throughout the night. Maybe you sleep on your stomach and are constantly laying on your face, causing premature wrinkles. Maybe you sleep on your back as your hair knots up with every time you roll over. Either way, a lot of damage can be done while you're asleep so it's important to take extra precaution. Sleeping on a silk pillowcase is softer and more forgiving of your skin and won't turn your hair into a tumbleweed by the morning.