13 Meaningful Quotes From '13 Reasons Why' That Will Teach You A Lot

After four seasons, "13 Reasons Why" is finally coming to an end on June 5.

891

"Hello, boys and girls. Hannah Baker here. Live and in stereo."

When I first watched the show, I was a high schooler who felt like, I myself, was a student at Liberty High. Even during the trials, I was right there next to the characters with Hannah Baker more alive than ever before. However, I did not even realize there was a third season let alone another season coming out.

A few months ago when I saw the trailer for the final season of "13 Reasons Why" I was confused. I've already heard the tapes and saw the impact of the character's actions, now what?

So I decided to rewatch the first three seasons and realized just how important this show is. Here are 13 meaningful quotes from the first three seasons of "13 Reasons Why."

1. “You can’t change other people, but you can change yourself.”

Hannah Baker, Season 1

2. “It has to get better. The way we treat each other and look out for each other. It has to get better somehow.”

Clay Jensen, Season 1

3. “Sometimes things just happen to you. They just happen. You can’t help it. But it’s what you do next that counts. Not what happens but what you decide to do about it.”

Hannah Baker, Season 1

4. “Just because you have the picture doesn’t mean you have the whole story.”

Tyler Down, Season 2

5. “You fool yourself into thinking that by keeping things hidden, it makes it easier for you to get by.”

Zach Dempsey, Season 2

6. “Sometimes it seems like no matter what you do, people still see you the way they want to.”

Jessica Davis, Season 2

7. “Keeping it in, that is not brave. Feeling the pain, facing it, that takes courage.”

Olivia Baker, Season 2

8. “When we act out of anger or fear, we can hurt people we don’t mean to hurt.”

Tony Padilla, Season 2

9. “How do we take what hurts most? Take the darkness and turn it into light? I think the answer is we love each other.”

Clay Jensen, Season 2

10. “When you judge someone by their past, it can make that past impossible to escape.”

Ani Achola, Season 3

11. “When people stare at you and talk or they don’t stare but you can tell that they want to, just remember that you know who you are, and they don’t.”

Tyler Down, Season 3

12. “Winning at the cost of who you are, winning at the cost of becoming someone that you hate, means nothing.”

Zach Dempsey, Season 3

13. “I’m a person in a thousand pieces … It’s a long, hard process, but little by little, you start picking up the pieces. And you realize that what you’re making is a mirror. And the more pieces you put together, the more you see yourself.” 

Bryce Walker, Season 3

Throughout "13 Reasons Why," we were taught compassion, forgiveness, love, and most importantly the impact that one could have when they stand up for what they believe in.

Hannah Baker deserved better – and after witnessing Bryce Walker's path to redemption which took a fatal turn – I contend that Bryce Walker also deserved better.

Hopefully, the final season will be even more significant than the first three by discussing crucial issues and heavy-hitting storylines.