13 Quotes By Maya Angelou That The College Student Can Apply To Their Daily Lives

The life she lived and the tales she has to tell are incredibly unique and offer so much wisdom that anyone could learn from

457

I never knew how much I could truly love a book until I started reading “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings,” by Maya Angelou. I spent every minute I could in the pages of this book. I never wanted it to end, and taking breaks between the chapters was not going to happen unless I couldn’t physically keep my eyes open any longer or I had to go to class. Learning about Maya Angelou was inspiring and heart-warming, to say the very least. The life she lived and the tales she told are incredibly unique and offer so much wisdom that anyone could learn from. In this case, here are 13 quotes by Maya Angelou that the college student can apply to their daily lives.

1. Your four years on campus are unlike any other. You will be combatting assignments, events, extracurriculars and relationships like you never have before. It is going to take a healthy amount of sleep and a positive attitude to make the most of your time:

“My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.”

2. Given college is supposed to be the best years of your life, this isn't the time to fake it until you make it. Don't settle for a college, friend group, etc. that is anything less than what you want and deserve:

“If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.”

3. These are the days where your friendships take on a whole new meaning. Don't lose sight of who is important and will be the best friend possible to you:

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

4. It will be hard to study for the final and the midterm. You won't always feel up to putting 110 percent into the project worth half your grade. However, in the end, it is always worth it:

“Nothing will work unless you do.”

5. Sometimes you don't get the grade you deserved. This should never stop you from trying your hardest in every aspect:

“We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.”

6. Whether you come from out of state or in, sometimes the craving for home is crippling. Don't worry, you will get out of the funk:

“The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.”

7. Don't settle for a major you aren't happy with. It's OK to change your ideas, plans, and goals throughout your four years:

“Whatever you want to do, if you want to be great at it, you have to love it and be able to make sacrifices for it.”

8. Being on a campus, large or small, you will be faced with diversity. Take advantage of this opportunity to learn about people other than your typical group:

“It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength.”

9. Sometimes it will be hard to get along and love everyone you meet. In the end, it is important that you spend a decent amount of time loving yourself and the ones that love you back:

“I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me.”

10. College is a distracting place. You are not always going to have people that can drop what they are doing to help you. You can have the best friends in the world but it is important that you are always there for yourself as well:

“I got my own back.”

11. In the process of learning how to do this, you will find out so much more about the person you are. These four years are the best way to figure out who you want to be in the future:

“I created myself. I have taught myself so much.”

12. Growing up is hard. Now that we are young adults, we are all experimenting with new styles, personalities, and lifestyles. Don't lose track of what/who you have always loved in this process:

“If we lose love and self respect for each other, this is how we finally die.”

13.Social norms can be a big influence on you choosing what you want to get involved with on campus. There can be pressure to join clubs, communities, or jobs that don't genuinely interest you. Don't waste your time:

“Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you.”