13 Lessons You'll Learn From '13 Reasons Why'

"You can't stop the future. You can't rewind the past. The only way to learn the secret...is to press play."

513
Youtube

13 Reasons Why, a novel turned into a Netflix Original Series, is most definitely a show worth watching. The #1 New York Times and International Best Seller novel was written by Jay Asher in 2007. I personally first began reading this book in middle school and now being in college, it has become a TV series. It centers around a girl who leaves 13 different cassette tapes for 13 different people who she believed to be the reasons why she decided to kill herself. You may be thinking, wow that’s extremely depressing, but it’s a book worth reading and a show worth watching. There are so many lessons learned and important things said in the series that everyone should understand. So yes, this is me trying to convince you to watch the series and read the book--if you haven’t already. Here’s 13 lessons that you’ll learn while watching and reading:

1. Everything you say is important. Be kind, it could save a life.

I know some people might think, duh I’m nice to everyone that’s not hard. But in reality, you have to watch what you say to people. You might not think it’s going to hurt someone but you never know what is going on in someone else’s life unless they tell you. All Hannah wanted was a friend and no one was able to give that to her. Some people were too scared, others were too much of an ass. Be nice to everyone, you could end up saving someone’s life.

2. Speak up.

If you think someone is going through something don’t just ignore it, speak up. Talk to someone or even talk to them. Don’t isolate anyone if you see that they may be struggling because that leaves them alone. All Hannah needed was one person to be there for her, and maybe it could’ve saved her life.

3. Don’t let others make decisions for you.

Although the entire story centered around Hannah being dead, she had a lot to say. A lot of her lines from the show teach us lessons and give the watchers something to think about. Here’s one specific quote from Hannah Baker describing the education system:

“Dream big they say. Shoot for the stars. Then they lock us away for 12 years and tell us where to sit, when to pee, and what to think. Then we turn 18, and even though we’ve never had an original thought, we have to make the most important decision of our lives. And if you don’t have the money and don’t really have the grades, a lot of the decision gets made for you.”

4. Don’t be scared to love someone.

Clay, one of the main characters of the show, was on the tapes when in reality he shouldn’t have been. He never did anything to Hannah, he was just afraid to love her. That in itself was his mistake. It could have saved her life. So don’t be afraid to love someone because you never know how they might feel about you or how it will impact their life.

5. Everything affects everything.

Every single one of those kids on the tapes didn’t think what they did was that bad and that was solely because they had no idea what else was going on in Hannah’s life. One hurtful thing can lead to another and another until it’s too late. That’s exactly what happened to Hannah Baker.

“When you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re messing with their entire life.”

6. Your parents love you more than you know.

This one is important because in the show they did an amazing job portraying Hannah’s mother. In the flashback scenes you could tell how happy she was just by her appearance; she was radiant. However, in the present day scenes her appearance completely changed. It was like her life was drained out of her and to be honest it kind of was. A parent losing their child is one of the worst things someone could possibly go through and knowing that they had chosen to kill themselves is even worse. Even when you think you have absolutely no one who loves you, try to look to your parents or your family members. You are not alone. Hannah’s mom loved her unconditionally and she was completely broken after she was gone.

7. Don’t believe everything you hear.

Rumors are what ruin people’s lives. In this case, they’re what ruined Hannah’s. It all started with a rumor and it all ended with no one knowing the truth. If someone had just believed Hannah and known what was going on, maybe she would still be alive. Don’t believe everything you hear because it might not be the truth and it might ruin someone else’s life.

8. The truth might hurt, but don’t be scared of it.

A lot of the characters in the series were scared of the truth. But the entire concept of this series was for Hannah to tell her truth. In the end, yes it is going to hurt people, but the most important thing is that the truth should come out. Clay took so long to listen to the tapes and that’s simply because he was scared of the truth. Ultimately, you’ll have to embrace it.

9. Pay attention to others.

No one seemed to be paying enough attention to Hannah Baker to see that she was struggling. Some may have but it wasn’t enough. So pay attention to others and if they’re hurting. Do something to help.

10. You can’t rewind the past.

Everything that’s happened is in the past. It’s already happened. Nothing can change that. Nothing could have changed what had happened to Hannah. Maybe someone could have done something that would have kept her alive but no one did. The only thing left is to look into the future and better yourself.

11. Don’t hide behind anyone.

If you know the truth about something come out and say it. If you know someone did something wrong, don’t hide behind them and keep their secrets. Hiding behind a huge secret can not only hurt you but it can hurt someone else.

12. You don’t know everything going on in anyone else’s life besides your own.

Nobody knew everything going on in Hannah’s life and that’s why it was so easy for them to do what they all did. Think before you do and watch what you say before you say it. You never know how much of an impact it might have on someone else’s life.

13. There is an entire future waiting for you. It will get better.

“And just know that there’s life beyond what you’re feeling at the moment. I promise it will get better. There is an entire future of incredible things waiting for you. And if you go, you don’t get to-- You don’t get to see it.” -Katherine Langford (Hannah Baker)

You never know what your future holds, and if it’s hard now--it will get better.