12 Tips For Getting Your First Tattoo

12 Tips For Getting Your First Tattoo

The only person you have to please with your body art is yourself.

221
12 Tips For Getting Your First Tattoo
Annie Spratt

Tattoos have become an extremely common and exciting trend lately. If you're getting ready to join the club, don't make any rash decisions. Take some time to prepare and make sure you are ready for your first tattoo.

1) Do it for YOU.

When you begin to choose your first tattoo, you are probably going to share your ideas with friends, family, etc, and they are going to have a lot of different opinions. The most important part of choosing a tattoo is choosing something that YOU love. Everyone has a different sense of style, and the only person you have to please with your body art is yourself. After all, the ink is going on YOUR body.

2) Try to wait until you're old enough.

Most tattoo shops require you to be 18 years old to get a tattoo, and most parents have the same recommendation for good reason. Looking back at the designs I wanted when I was 15 and 16 years old makes me extremely glad my parents made me wait. At least take the time to think about your ideas, because if its something you REALLY want, you will still want it in a few months, or a few years.

3) Find the right artist.

If you've got a design or style in mind, take a little time to look through artist portfolios. It's a good idea to choose an artist that can accomplish the specific style you are interested in. (Each artist is really different!) You can find portfolios on tattoo shop websites, Instagram, Facebook, or printed at the tattoo shop.

4) Better yet, ask for recommendations.

If you've got a friend or family member that had an awesome tattoo experience, ask them where they went. It's a good way to find a reputable shop.

5) You don't have to go small.

People might try to convince you to go small for your first tattoo, and you don't always have to listen! The most important thing is that you get something that YOU WANT. For me, that meant a rather large first tattoo. After consulting with my tattoo artist, he informed me that my tattoo "would hurt no matter what size it was, so it might as well be something I liked".

6) Consult with your Artist.

Once you find an artist you like, set up a consultation. This is the time when you can share your ideas with them and talk about size, location, price, and set up a time and day for the appointment. If you are wanting an original design drawn up, consultation is imperative for them to create the image you want.

7) Be able to pay for the ink, and *TIP

Tattoos can be expensive, and you should keep this in mind when you set up an appointment with an artist. Be sure to talk price beforehand, and be prepared to tip your artist afterward. Remember, 20% for good service!

8) Eat before you go.

You are going to want to get a good night's sleep and a healthy meal or two before your tattoo session. Your tattoo could take a couple hours, and it might take a toll on your body. Going in tired with an empty stomach will raise your chances of passing out.

9) Shower first.

It's as simple as that. No artist is going to want to spend a bunch of time all-up-in-your-business if you haven't showered that day. At the same time, be sure not to wear too much perfume or cologne, as it could be distracting. Stick with a shower and some deodorant.

10) Don't be under the influence.

Going into your tattoo appointment drunk or high is just a bad idea overall. Not only does alcohol thin your blood, and increase the amount you will bleed, it will also increase your chances of making a bad decision. Don't put yourself in the position to get a tattoo you'll regret.

11) Bring moral support.

Have someone go with you to your first tattoo appointment to support you and keep you distracted. It also helps if this person has already gotten a tattoo before, they will tell you what to expect. Try not to bring more than one or two people though - you don't want to crowd or distract your artist with a big group.

12) Be confident and ready.

Go in knowing that a tattoo DOES hurt, but I learned that it's nothing to freak out over. If you're like me, and you go in ready to experience the worst pain of your life, you might be surprised with the fact that a tattoo is actually bearable. If you take time to prepare, and try to stay relaxed throughout the whole process, you will definitely be able to handle your first tattoo.