12 Things to do in Chebeague Island, Maine

Best done in the warmer months.

11595
Downeast

Summer in Maine is usually pretty great. However, how many people spend the summer on a coastal Maine island? Sure, all the tourists love Bar Harbor, Portland or Old Orchard Beach, but the lucky few have discovered the allure of the Maine islands. Here are some things you must do while on Chebeague Island, Maine.

1. Walk the sandbar across to Little Chebeague at "The Hook."

When it's low tide, you can go to the beach called "The Hook," or Indian Point, and walk across the sandbar to Little Chebeague, which is only accessible this way or by boat. Once on the island, you can see abandoned ruins of houses or camp out for the night. The island is no longer inhabited, but it does have a lot of nature. Just be sure to time it right if you are planning to walk back before the tide comes in, or you could be trapped!

2. Visit Deer Point.

This beautiful rocky point is a picturesque Maine scene with dark pine trees complimenting the rocky ledges and blue ocean down below. It is the inspiration for many artists' paintings. It is a wonderful place for a picnic or to find sea glass on the beach. You can also walk across the rocks. The road down to the point is hard for cars to go down, and it's usually best to walk down. After a certain point, cars can't go any further, and you must walk through some woods before you come out to the ocean.

3. Go fishing at Chandler's Wharf.

Many locals and tourists alike spend warm summer evenings at the wharf, fishing, chatting and even catching squid. There is an abundance of squid more so than actual fish, and they can be eaten. Chandler's can be the site for young party seekers at night, but it is a great place to witness some local island life. This wharf is where you can also see the Casco Bay Lines ferry come in, or you can catch it to Portland. On a hot summer day, it is perfect to jump off the wharf into the frigid but refreshing water.

4. Visit Hamilton Beach.

This is arguably the most popular beach on the island because it is very sandy and a nice stretch of beach to spend a day. It is great for finding seagrass and other treasures, and the ocean is warmer on this side of the island than Chandler's. This is a great place to watch the stars or have a summer bonfire.

5. Go to the store at coffee hour.

If you want to witness more local life and interact with locals, the perfect time and place is the coffee hour at the store at about 9 a.m. This is the only store on the island, hence why it is called "the store." You can also grab small groceries here and Italian subs at lunch time.

6. See the Fourth of July Parade.

The Fourth of July weekend is usually the busiest all year on the island with well over a 1,000 people visiting. You can really feel the patriotic spirit all day. In the morning, there is a 5k and one mile fun run race, followed by the parade at 11 a.m. that goes through the center of town. There are always many unique floats that all follow a decoration theme and throw out candy, and some local kids are usually setting off firecrackers and spraying water guns. The parade is followed by a picnic at the school's Rec enter complex, where the floats win prizes and there is food and games. At night, there are fireworks at every beach, and you can also catch the ones from Portland down at Chandler's Wharf or see some other islands put on their own show.

7. Have drinks on the inn porch at sunset.

From the inn up on the hill, you can see some fabulous summer sunsets. The best way to enjoy the view is by sitting on the porch with a cocktail. You can also see it from the screened porch dining room, while enjoying a high quality gourmet meal.

8. See the sunset at Sunset Beach.

Another fantastic place to see the sunset directly at you is on the west end at Sunset Beach. This beach is down a very long dirt road, so it is very secluded and peaceful. There have been Native American artifacts found down here, and everyone always carves initials into the rocks.

9. Have drinks at the Slow Bell.

The Slow Bell has changed names and management a few times, but the single bar on the island still serves its purpose. It is only open in the summer, but you can see all the locals and tourists gather together out on the lawn on warm summer nights while a local band plays on the porch.

10. Take a bike ride all over the island.

The best way to see the three-by-five mile island is to see it by bike. You can visit all the less-easily accessible beaches and get some exercise along the way.

11. Visit the Rec Center pool, tennis court, gym or a fitness class.

Another great place to get a workout in or to enjoy some recreation is the Rec Center. There is a public outdoor pool, a gym and workout room, a tennis court and a playground with a soccer and baseball field behind it.

12. Play golf at the Great Chebeague Golf Course.

This shorter course is unique in that one of the holes is separated by ocean, and the challenge is to try to hit it across. You can enjoy beautiful ocean views while you play.