12 Things To Be Grateful For Post-Winter

Because spring is right around the corner.

73

This winter, I'm more excited for spring to come than I ever have been. Winters in the midwest can be brutally chilly. Since the first half of our winter was abnormally spring-like, I wasn't prepared when winter weather finally came around. I'm more than ready for all the experiences that come with warmer weather. Share in my enthusiasm for what we have to be grateful for in the coming months!

1. More farmers' markets.

Oxford's Uptown Market is only open every third Saturday of the month during the winter, but in the spring, they are back in business, baby. Every weekend--fresh local food, vendors' smiling faces and time outside with close friends.

2. Drinking ice water.

I know you're probably thinking, I always drink ice water. But, think about it. I think we've all taken drinking ice water for granted at some point or another. Ice water is one of the greatest gifts we have, and it's made even better on warm days. Next time you're walking to class on a warm afternoon and you take a sip of your freezing water, think about it for a second. It's amazingly fulfilling.

3. Working out outside.

It's just not the same to work out inside. It's too hot, it's stuffy, there's no breeze and the florescent lighting of gyms leave something to be desired. Now you can spread out, try new running routes and even get a tan while you work out.

4. Being less overwhelmed simply because of the nice weather.

Nothing seems as overwhelming as it does when the sky is perpetually gray. Cheers to sunny blue skies, flowers and green foliage.

5. The smell after it rains.

For those of you who are into words like I am, the word for this pleasant smell is petrichor. That smell is a sweet reminder that winter is over.

6. Dresses.

Dresses are the simplest option for going out attire. You throw it on, add a necklace and a pair of shoes and you're good to go. (Just make sure you've gotten into the habit of shaving your legs again!)

7. Less laundry.

Fewer layers and thinner materials mean you have to do less laundry! You can lend the time you usually spend doing this chore to other activities.

8. Less money spent on taxis.

If you're one of those people who buy cabs in the winter to avoid having to walk Uptown in the cold/snow, I respect you. But good news/you're in luck because the walk Uptown is about to be a million times more enjoyable.

9. Open-toed shoes.

Wiggle those little toesies of yours. They're free!

10. Birds chirping.

Waking up and hearing birds chirping is possibly one of the most inspirational ways to wake up (unless you woke up because of the bird's chirping... That's not ideal). It's as though they're singing a song to tell you this is going to be a good day. If you want to attract birds, set up a bird feeder in your backyard.

11. A cleaner house without rock salt.

You can put your Swiffer WetJet away for a little bit longer between uses because your roommates will no longer track snowy, salty footprints through the house.

12. Outdoor concerts and music festivals.

There is nothing better than listening to live music outside. Look up concerts and music festivals near you, or make big plans with a couple friends and make a road trip of it!

This spring is going to be one of the best semesters yet. Make sure you don't take this season or your college years for granted. Focus on the good things happening around you, especially the small things.