12 Things Strong, Independent Women DON'T Do

The word "settle" is not part of their vocabulary.
5152

We all secretly wanna be that "strong, independent woman who don't need no man." Of course, if he did come along, then we certainly wouldn't mind. I am a firm believer in the fact that we must learn to enjoy spending time alone first with ourselves before sharing our precious time with that special someone. In order to do that, you must be that girl who wakes up with purpose and intent. Be that girl who keeps not settling. You are worth more than second thoughts and maybes. You've got such a good soul that you'd never be caught dead doing any of the things on this list.

1. Wait for him to text you first.

Waiting for anything is absolute torture. I've always been taught that if you want something, you're gonna have to go out there and get it for yourself. I'm not saying that you should go after someone who isn't worth your time. If you genuinely like him and the feeling's mutual, then text him, damn it.

2. Hit up a guy who already has a girlfriend.

This is the lowest of the lows. I don't care if he's cheated on her, or they are a "terrible couple." Whatever excuse you have in your head, just let it go. Don't ever get in the middle of someone else's relationship, no matter the circumstances.

3. Lie about your interests.

If you’re saying, “Oh, I totally love EDM music too, we have so much in common!” But it actually gives you a headache, then for God’s sake, don’t lie about it or else you might find yourself sitting through some very painful car rides. Lying ain’t cool, the only way you are going to win him over is by staying true to who you really are. If you secretly blast Shania Twain’s “Man! I Feel Like A Woman” while you’re getting ready in the morning, then be sure he knows it...just maybe wait ‘til the second date.

4. Hide your quirks.

This one is kinda similar to the above, but rather being afraid to show the ‘real you’ because you don’t want to scare him away. You'd be surprised: your quirks just may be the thing that set you apart from everyone else so quit keeping them to yourself.

5. Settle just because you want a relationship.

Repeat after me: you’re not the kind of girl who settles. Keep not settling. Learn to be happy on your own, it’s the only way you’ll attract something amazing.

6. Hesitate to call him out on his shit.

Girl, if he does something that’s completely uncalled for, make sure you let him know. Otherwise, he’ll just keep doing it.

7. Not have your own ‘thing.’

When I say ‘thing,’ I mean something that you truly enjoy doing. I’m not saying you have to go in full ‘Girl Boss’ mode and start your own business but have something that makes you feel good about yourself. Whether it be going to yoga once a week or volunteering for a local organization on the weekends, it’s important to think about what you are putting your energy into. Plus, it’ll give you something to talk about and your inner light will shine even brighter.

8. Feel like you owe him something.

You don’t owe any man anything, ladies. If a guy is ever making you feel like you should do something that you aren’t comfortable with, then it’s time to drop him.

9. Let jealousy over other people’s accomplishments suffocate you.

As lonely as you may feel scrolling through your Facebook feed and seeing yet another girl from your high school’s engagement photos, you should never wish terrible things upon this couple. Getting jealous is completely normal, but letting it get to you to the point where you start to feel sorry for yourself is not ok.

10. Go home and cry after your date stood you up.

Nope, nope, nope. You should be going home and taking a bubble bath and ordering Chinese takeout and squinting at that text he sends you at 1 AM when you’re three seasons deep into Grey’s Anatomy. Who in the world is texting me right now? And then you remember it’s him, flip your phone over and continue watching.

Getting stood up sucks, but if you think about it, it’s kind of a dating short-cut. If you stood me up and didn’t take any action afterward to make it up to me, then I’ve got my answer. Onto the next one.

11. Overanalyze ‘hints’ on social media.

He liked my Insta pic so he likes me, right? I dunno, maybe he liked that you were doing something cool. Who really knows.

12. Have too many unrealistic expectations.

A woman should have high standards, but not high expectations. Let yourself have no expectations whatsoever going into a first date and you will come out of it feeling good, even if you see no future with the guy. Before the date, if you had pictured this guy in your head and given him all of your dream qualities, only to realize that he was the complete opposite, then you’ll feel more disappointed, won’t you?