12 Things I Learned While Helping My Parents Move

If your parents are anything like mine, this list will help you!

9
E-Z Moving

My wonderful parents, now both in their 60s, are moving houses in early August! While they are no strangers to the process of moving, this is the first time they are moving just the two of them, without the kids. I, as an overachiever type of daughter, am helping them prepare for their big move (within their current neighborhood, but still), and here are a few things I learned while packing boxes and making plans for the big day with them.

1. They throw out a lot of stuff.

Take what you want -- like favorite childhood books, old video games, photographs from summer camp -- before it’s too late.

2. They will need more packing tape than they buy.

What happened to your middle-school duct tape collection?

3. If your parents have degrees in English like mine do, they will need extra boxes for their myriad poetry books and crime novels.

4. They don’t think it’s funny when you offer to take their television off their hands.

5. Asking them how packing is going elicits two different answers: “We could definitely use some help,” or, “We had more books than we thought.”

"Sorry to hear that."

6. Your siblings have no interest in helping. Don’t bother asking.

Thanks, guys.

7. If you have cats, be sure to leave an empty box on the floor so they won’t try to sleep in the (already full) box of queer theory books.

8. When helping them pack, ask how they want to label the boxes. Don’t let them have vague labels like “left bedroom” or “No. 8.”

9. Don’t leave your things at their current house when you visit. They don’t want it. They “have more than enough things, for God’s sake!”

10. Play music through a small speaker while packing and moving, so that the bickering about what to put in which boxes is kept to a minimum.

11. Stop asking them if they’re “sure about this” because the answer will always be “We already dropped our retirement fund on this, Elizabeth, not to mention your tuition.”

"OK, you're right."

12. Just stop cracking jokes in general. That’s their realtor’s job, not their kids’.

If your parents are moving by themselves anytime soon, this list is for you!