12 Things Every Ski Racer Has Experienced

Racers past, present, and future: you may go when ready.

53

Ski racing is one of the coolest, most challenging, and most fun sports there is. Whether you have raced your whole life, just recently began, or are a racer alumni, odds are you're in love with it and wouldn't trade those days spent on the hill in skin-tight, padded spandex suits hurling yourself at plastic poles for anything. Ski racing is a community of individuals competing for themselves and their team at the same time. That being said, here's a list of 12 things every ski racer has experienced.

1. "What's that?"

The most frustrating question in response to "I'm a ski racer". The best way to explain it is to defer to the professionals: "Like Lindsey Vonn". Even then they probably don't understand and you fight the urge to explain every little detail and skill of skiing. It's probably easier if they just come watch a race.

2. Sore muscles

Sure, every athlete gets sore muscles. But ski sore muscles are the worst kind of sore muscle. The first few days of the season have you convinced your legs are going to fall off and your ankles are going to snap when you walk. There aren't enough painkillers or heating pads in the world. Don't even think about trying the stairs. But you'll still be out on the hill tomorrow, skiing until you literally cannot stand up.

3. Numb = "I'm good for a few more hours"

Most rational beings choose to head into the ski lodge for a hot chocolate when their fingers and toes are numb. Ski racers feel everything from the hips down going numb and think "Great! I can be out here forever now!" Not feeling the cold means that's more time for us to slap some gates and get more turns in. We are invincible! Yes, we regret it once we get inside. But do we continue to let ourselves lose feeling in the name of getting better at our sport? Absolutely. Let's go.

4. Having the best run of your life

You know that moment, when you cross the finish and feel like you could retire right this second with no regrets, because no run will ever live up to the quality of that one. That's a pure adrenaline rush. Whether you hit a personal best, set a school or team record, or qualified/won states on that run, it's the best you've ever felt.

5. Coach pep talks

It is a universal truth that ski coaches give the best pep talks. Whether you just had the worst run of your life or set a personal best, one of your coaches is there at the finish arena to give you honest feedback and pump you up. Those coaches that stand up in the gate with you to get you fired up are the best and they fuel your drive to succeed in the next 20-30 seconds. They're definitely not afraid to push you as far as they can, as fast as they can. The advice they give you about skiing and life in general will stick with you forever and they'll always check in to see how things are going post-ski career.

6. When you fall

That's it. It's done. The world is ending.

Just kidding. We've all fallen and gotten back up, but it's incredibly frustrating when you fall at a race for whatever reason and have to hike to a gate. Not only does it ruin your time, it's also embarrassing to attempt that little climb-hop racers have to do to get back up. For a brief moment while climbing, you'll consider just taking the DNF.

7. Race day

Finally! IT'S RACE DAY. It's go time and you are so pumped. You get excited at the mere thought of leaving school early to get out to hill. Shoving yourself into a spandex suit has never been such a good feeling. All the hours of practice logged at the hill finally come full circle when you are in the gate and ready for your run. Get your team together and let the pre-meet rituals and pump up speeches commence. Race day = best day of the week.

8. "Racer, you may go when ready"

Psh, you've been ready since you woke up this morning. Get one last fist bump from your coach, lock in, set up, then launch yourself as fast and as far as you can. Skate for your life. Those moments in the gate are the most nerve-wracking, exciting, and exhilarating of the whole day. Let your teammates' words of good luck carry you down the hill. You've got a time to beat.

9. Getting held in the gate

That moment when you're all set and ready, and the official puts their hand in front of you and says those dreaded words... "Hold in the gate". This is almost guaranteed to only happen when it is 5 below zero with a -10 windchill, and after your coach has already left the start mound with your coat. Your muscles start to freeze up and you suddenly have to pee worse than you ever have before. It's fine.

10. You can't ski for fun

Every time you go out skiing just for fun, you find yourself throwing a few GS turns in, and making imaginary courses in your mind (or out of other skiers). You want to teach racing logistics to anyone you ski with. Freeskiing without over-analyzing your form is almost impossible. You want your angles to be so solid and good that Ted Ligety, King of Angles himself, would be jealous. Might as well get a few race-style runs in, right? Analyze, analyze, criticize, analyze.

10. Finding your ski best friend

Through all the hard work, falls, lost sleep, missed assignments, long and cold practices, and travel meets, you will find someone who just totally gets you. You love riding up on the chair with them and you race each other just for fun (but also to absolutely kick their butt). Your coaches know you're an inseparable duo and won't ever try to keep you two apart, even if you are on different teams. You and your ski best friend make each other better athletes and are each other's biggest fan. Hold onto this person when you find them because you have definitely found a lifelong friend who's always up for some quality turns on a cold day.

11. This one's for the alumni: you miss it more than you ever thought you could.

Who would've guessed you'd miss those days in brightly colored and padded Spandex so much? Winter just isn't the same without race days and numb practices. But the memories you have stored from your years in the snow are priceless. You've gained a great athletic skill set that you can use throughout your life. Also, more vacation options. Remember the lessons this sport taught you and keep them with you. Ski on, my friends.