12 Spring Cleaning Tips: Mental Health Edition

We put such an emphasis on cleaning our houses in the springtime, but sometimes we forget about clearing the cobwebs from our minds as well.

393
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/04/04/636584072279529548-1678587087_allef-vinicius-208472-unsplash.jpg

When you think of "spring cleaning" it's all cleaning products, organizing, and decorating, right? Well, yes, but sometimes we put such an emphasis on cleaning our houses in the springtime, but we forget about clearing the cobwebs from our minds, too.

1. Make a to-do list.

When you have an overwhelming amount of responsibilities, it can be difficult to keep track of them and to decide where to even begin. Having a physical record of short-term and long-term responsibilities and goals helps you stay organized mentally, providing structure and helping you celebrate what you have already accomplished.

2. Create a deliberate habit.

If you’re looking for a change in lifestyle and would like to be more productive, an easy way to initiate change is to create a deliberate habit. This can be anything from going to the gym once a week to drinking an extra glass of water each morning. The habit you choose should reflect an area of your life you’re trying to improve. My deliberate habit is to find time to write freely at least once a day. Find something reasonable and suitable for your own lifestyle that you’ll be able to incorporate into your Springtime routine.

3. Clean out the clutter.

Tidy room, tidy mind. The atmosphere you spend the majority of your time in can really affect your mood. Sort through your belongings and either sell or give away the things you don’t need anymore. If there are certain things you have an emotional tie to, (clothing you don’t wear anymore that has emotional significance, cards from family members, old love letters, etc…) take a picture of them and then throw them away. You’ll still be able to remember them and they won’t take up space in your life physically. The more things from the past you’re able to let go of, the more room you have for the future.

4. Set some time aside to do something spiritual.

There are endless ways to practice mindfulness. Whether it’s meditation, yoga, going on a hike, engaging in prayer, creating art, going on a long car ride, or listening to music, there is something that works for everyone. In a world that’s constantly racing, it’s comforting to find time to slow down and honestly evaluate your own thoughts.

5. Edit your social media feed.

Unfollow or mute people whose posts bring you down. Most social media platforms have a number of features that allow you to personalize your experience and the people you interact with. Since social media is so deeply ingrained in our lives, it’s important to take advantage of the fact that we can control who and what we are exposed to.

6. Get rid of toxic people.

They say that you are a combination of the five people you spend the most time with. Whether or not that’s true, it is always important to be mindful of the people you spend time with and recognize the effect they have on your mood. Toxic people don’t always cause huge problems or uproot your entire life. Sometimes your personalities just don’t mix, and that’s OK. If someone is dragging you down, it is your own responsibility to limit your time spent with that person. Remember, it’s better to be alone than to be in bad company.

7. Give up on a grudge.

People make mistakes. Sometimes they’re unforgivable, and rightly so. However, forgiving others is not always about letting them back into our lives as if nothing ever happened. When you forgive someone, what you’re really doing is setting yourself free from the negative feelings they’ve brought you. It feels comforting to be on decent terms with people, even if you don’t want anything to do with them in the future.

8. Forgive yourself.

Stop punishing yourself over mistakes you’ve made in the past. You should not be a prisoner to the things you’ve done and no one should treat you like you are one. Offer your apologies and move forward.

9. Spend time outside.

Scientific evidence suggests that exposure to natural environments can lead to a number of mental health benefits. Try to incorporate natural sunlight into your lifestyle by doing homework outside or going for a walk.

10. Do something for someone else.

Helping others gives your life purpose and makes each day feel a little more meaningful. Edit a friend’s essay. Volunteer. Comfort someone in grief. There are a number of simple things you can do to make an impact on the life of another person. Time spent helping others is always time well spent.

11. Keep a list of compliments.

Keep a note on your phone of the nice things people say to you. When you’re feeling down, read them over to make your day a little brighter. You can also do a spin-off of this idea, and instead, write a list of the things that you’re grateful for in your life to look back on when you’re feeling uninspired or discouraged.

12. Plan something to look forward to.

When things get overwhelming, having something to look forward to can make a huge difference in your attitude and mindset. Plan a weekend getaway with a few friends. Reconnect with someone you don’t usually get to see on a regular basis. Plan a day trip to an amusement park. Having something to look forward to in the near future can really help you get through these last few weeks of the semester.