12 Simple And Delicious 'Friendsgiving' Recipes

Bring your own taste of home to the holiday

331
Thought Catalog

This year will be my first Thanksgiving not at home with my family. Since I'm spending my Fall semester abroad in England, me and my fellow American students have decided to throw our own Thanksgiving in the dorms in order to bring a taste of the U.S. to London. "Friendsgivings" have become a common event on campuses all across the world for thousands of students who are either abroad, can't afford to travel home over break or may not have anywhere else to go. No matter your circumstances, you can still have a fun and memorable day cooking food with friends and starting some new traditions of your own! Remember, even if the pie doesn't taste the same as the one your Mom always makes, Thanksgiving is all about spending time with others and being grateful for all the wonderful opportunities in your life.

Here are a few easy and tasty dishes that any college student would be proud to bring to the table:

1. Turkey Cutlets

The most iconic Thanksgiving dish and the one that poses the most difficulty for any Friendsgiving is the turkey. Sadly, communal kitchen ovens and tiny dorm rooms just can't handle a 20 pound bird. But that doesn't mean you have to skip out on turkey all together. This innovative recipe brings out those classic flavors using pre-cut turkey cutlets pan seared on the stove-top. Instead of spending eight hours defrosting and baking, each cutlet can be finished in about 12 minutes!

2. Baked Brie and Cranberry Dip

This recipe takes a sophisticated spin on the classic cranberry sauce by turning it into a baked brie dip. Not only is the dish the perfect mix of sweet and savory, but the fancy appearance of the appetizer would even impress your pickiest Aunt. Bring a party platter and break out the crackers. Just be careful not to give into the temptation to fill up completely on starters before the main meal!

3. Cheese and Mashed Potato Puffs

An adorable twist on the classic mashed potato dish, these potato puffs can be prepared in a muffin tin and will be a perfect appetizer to kick off any Thanksgiving get together! They're also great for breakfast, meaning you can whip up another batch with your Thanksgiving leftovers the next morning!

4. Everything Bagel Stuffing

What's better than an Everything Bagel? This incredibly clever stuffing dish that swaps out usual bread for deliciously seasoned bagel bits. As college students there's a high chance you already have a few stale bagels in your fridge already, so why not turn them into a classic Thanksgiving side that will totally impress your friends?

5. Canned Sweet Potato Casserole

Casseroles are the perfect option for anyone who hates all the mess and hassle of preparing big holiday meals. Just toss all the ingredients in a single dish and leave it alone to bake. No need to set multiple oven timers or even deal with the clean up from having to peel the potatoes yourself.

6. Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Brussels Sprouts

Feeling guilty for sampling all these heavy, winter foods? Check out this flavorful and healthy Brussels sprout dish that's topped with a zest of lemon juice.

7. Green Beans With Almond Breadcrumbs

A lighter, healthier take on the traditional green bean casserole. These green beans are roasted and topped with lemon juice and grounded almond "breadcrumbs." Plus, as an added bonus, the recipe's totally vegan!

8. Cheesy Microwaved Mashed Potatoes

Is there anything more basic or more college than microwaved mashed potatoes? Save yourself the hassle of washing, peeling, boiling, and mashing with this three step recipe for cheesy potatoes that you can even whip up in your dorm room!

9. Sweet Potato Soup

Nothing says Fall comfort food more than a warm bowl of soup. Turn any extra potatoes into this rich and creamy Sweet Potato soup dish that takes just 15 minutes to prepare.

10. Non-Bake Pecan Pie

One of the greatest 'Friendsgiving' struggles is the lack of oven space in communal kitchens. Save room on the shelf for other dishes with this delicious no-bake Pecan Pie recipe that can be put together in just 45 minutes!

11. Pumpkin Pie Mousse

Everyone knows the best part of pumpkin pie is the fluffy, pumpkin filling. This year skip all the other stuff and give everyone their own individual dessert with a simple pumpkin mousse recipe that combines pumpkin pudding and Cool Whip.

12. Wine

And if you're still at a lost for what to make, you can always volunteer to bring a few bottles wine to uncork after dinner. Even if you really, really hate to cook, you're still guaranteed to be everyone's favorite holiday guest.