12 Signs You're A New England Native In The Midwest

You know you're from New England when...

171
HerCampus

The one thing about New England that is universally understood is that you never leave New England. But, if you do happen to leave New England like I did, you know that people that aren't from one of the six states in the Northeast can't quite get a grasp on all the things that you instinctively knew because you grew up there. While New Englanders hardly ever agree on anything, here are twelve struggles we can all understand since moving to the Midwest.

1. You don’t understand the hype about Cleveland.

You grew up on Boston sports, so the whole "Warriors blew a 3-1 lead" isn't really relevant to you. Plus, anyone not from Cleveland doesn't like Lebron. We don't really know why it's just something we grew up knowing.

2. It's always time for Dunkin Donuts. Always.

Are you even from New England if you don't love Dunkin Donuts? It's a staple and honestly, it's probably more common for you to see a New Englander with that pink and orange Styrofoam cup than a water bottle. In the Midwest, it's more about smaller coffee shops, but New Englanders have no time to dilly dally, therefore, Dunkin Donuts.

3. You listen to people complain about how cold and snowy it is and just roll your eyes.

Nothing compares to a New England winter. Two weeks ago, my parents in Connecticut got EIGHTEEN inches of snow in one day. EIGHTEEN INCHES! In ONE DAY! Weather in the Midwest just isn't nearly as severe, but I will give it some credit because the mood swings Mother Nature has when she passes over the Midwest are incredible. Last week I was in shorts, now I'm wearing my hockey mom coat. New England is just cold, and that's just not how it is here; so when people complain, you know it could be so much worse.

4. Soda is not "pop."

How can a beverage and a sound be the same thing? It doesn't make any sense. While there's an exception here, (Rhode Islander's say pop) it still grinds my gears. I can admit that neither of the names makes sense, but pop is definitely wrong.

5. People think you're always grumpy.

I can 100% guarantee that I am not grumpy. The people in the Midwest are just so nice that I seem like I'm upset or annoyed all the time. New Englanders love people, we are just used to a really fast pace. I promise it's just my face.

6. You're astounded that not everyone has been to Cape Cod.

Honestly, over three-quarters of the people I knew from back home went to the Cape every summer. Here, I think I've only met three or four. Each region of the country definitely has its special vacation spot, but when you've lived there your whole life and then move halfway across the country, it can be weird when people don't even know about your favorite place.

7. The Patriots are your favorite football team.

The best part about that? You aren't even considered to be jumping on the bandwagon since you literally grew up there. You will 100% get a ton of crap for loving the Pats, but it's in your blood. Five Superbowl titles? No problem. Best quarterback of all time? Probably. There's only one bad thing about Tom Brady and that's where he chose to go to college. *cough University of Michigan cough* Should have gone to Ohio State, TB12!

8. You own three different winter coats.

Yes, it is excessive. BUT, in your defense, winter in New England comes in about three different stages. Plus, maybe it's too warm for your floor length hockey mom coat, but not cold enough for your North Face fleece, so your only option left is your olive coat with a shearling lining! Yeah, it's excessive, we know.

9. You know what a boarding school is.

There are 95 boarding schools in New England alone, so odds are you know quite a few people that went to a boarding school instead of a public school. It's honestly weird that people don't go to boarding school here.

10. You own a pair of Bean Boots.

The ultimate sign that someone is from New England. Yes, people from all over have Bean Boots, but almost my entire high school had a pair. Plus, your mom still has her pair from high school, and you really can't go wrong with that lifetime guarantee. They literally last forever and everyone has them.

11. College Football has a whole new meaning to you.

UConn and Boston College football just don't make the cut when you talk about great football teams. They aren't the worst, but it's just not the same. Football is a culture in the Midwest. People literally eat, sleep and breathe college football here. Your first game day is a culture shock, and it only gets better from there. You'll go from only knowing about professional football players to actually having future NFL stars in your philosophy class. If football didn't mean anything to you before, prepare to have your life changed.

12. Meeting other New Englanders is a breath of fresh air.

We are so few and far between that meeting someone from even the general area of New England is the best thing that's happened to you all week. They don't even have to be from the same state, you kind of just lock eyes, and you understand. It's the best feeling, especially when most people at your college are from in the state. While there are a lot of things that New Englanders disagree on, which is something we love to do, we can always bond over a common home.