12 Too Real Verses From Ed Sheeran’s “Save Myself”

You deserve more than you are giving yourself.

2285
Saintluxx

Ed Sheeran is amazing at what he does. Singer/songwriter superstar is just one way to describe his success in the music industry. Not only does he touch the lives of all his fans around the world, but Sheeran reaches out a little extra and fills your heart with songs that might be a little too real to comprehend. A song on his newest album, "Divide" has done just that. "Save Myself” is the realest song that I have heard in a long time. Extremely real and heartfelt, give the song a listen to so that you can understand how much Sheeran just gets it.

Here are 12 verses from the song that are just too real.

1. "I gave all my oxygen to people that could breathe."

Sometimes it takes all of you to be able to help someone when they need it, but as long as they are all right, you can survive.

2. "I drove miles and miles, but would you do the same for me?"

Not everyone will reciprocate at the same level as you hope for, especially when it comes to your generosity; and they don’t have to because that’s the person you are. However, when you go the extra mile for them and it comes to the point when you may need someone to be there for you, will they?

3. "Offered off my shoulder just for you to cry upon."

I’m the type of person that would drop literally anything and be there for someone in an instant. Believe me, it’s happened before and it will happen again. However, when do you get a break, or rather, when is it your turn to just be supported?

4. "It goes on and on."

It’s a constant cycle. You will always be that person who is there, and there will always be people that need help. You’ll want to save everyone that you can, but sometimes there is just not enough of yourself to do so.

5. "Life can get you down, so I just numb the way it feels."

I have not met one person who hasn’t ignored the way that they have felt when faced with something that brings them pain, myself included. Sometimes numbing pain is the only way to deal with a situation, especially when you have the feeling that you have no one that you can reach out to. I promise you, though, the more you build up the numbness, the scarier and worse the pain gets.

6. "I gave you all my energy and I took away your pain."

Just by simply being there for someone can change their world, their perspective and their mood. When you’re someone who constantly watches over someone or a situation, it can be mentally tolling to the point where your body begins to feel the repercussions. However, because you care deeply for that person, you will give everything that you have to help them until they are whole again, even though you are not. You won’t tell them that you’re not alright, though, because they are finally better.

7. "And only scars remain."

Helping someone regain their strength or watching them become whole again is the greatest feeling in the world. Once that feeling disappears and you are faced yet again with yourself, though, you have your problems to deal with that have gotten worse because of the neglect that you have given yourself. For that one moment, where all was better because you were doing something for someone else, you healed yourself. Lies. You just covered it up and the scar will keep reopening.

8. "I drown it with a drink and out-of-date prescription pills."

The most real verse of the song. Firstly, there are other ways to deal with yourself than drowning the pain with unhealthy modes. However, once in a while, a drink or two is all that can feel normal. Strange, right? It may be the easiest way to cope with what is going on, but it’s not the best way.

9. "But I guess it's just my nature."

You can’t deny the person that you are because you know that you will always put others before yourself no matter the situation. It’s just who you are. If you find yourself in that position, don’t deny it because who you are is beautiful, especially when it comes to helping others. Be sure to remember to take care of yourself too, though.

10. "So, before I save someone else, I've got to save myself."

My absolute favorite line of the song. I’ve found myself drowning over and over again, asking myself when someone is going to be there for me when I need it like I was for them in the past. Sometimes, though, there are things that we have to deal with that require more than just those around us. It requires us to get up and save ourselves. It’s the second hardest thing to do, especially when you don’t know where to start.

11. "And before I blame someone else, I've got to save myself."

There is one truth to this sentence. You cannot blame others for your situation or the place that you have found yourself in for one reason: you choose your own life. No one else. Where you are is on you. What you feel is on you. Yes, people are assholes that can influence your situation, but you are the one who controls your own destiny. You cannot blame others for what is your life, even if they have damaged it a great deal.

12. "And before I love someone else, I've got to love myself."

Finally, the last line of the song and the last quote of my article. Yes, it is also the most important line and the hardest. You must love yourself. It’s the hardest thing to do, especially when you are feeling that everything and everyone is against you, and you feel that you just aren’t good enough. Darling, I promise — and I’ve made a lot of promises — that you are so worthy of being loved, especially by yourself. Love yourself because you are beautiful.