12 Rappers You Should Add To Your Library

Some of the best underground, up-and-coming, and legends in the game.

91
Cinematic Music Group

Hip-Hop and Rap are arguably the two most popular music genres surging through America right now. Rapping is a unique form of storytelling, allowing performer and audience to connect through both rhythm and perspective. From amateur free-stylers to A-list rappers, there are countless artists who all express themselves through rhymes. Here are 12 artists whose phenomenal mixture of Rap and poetry should earn them a spot in your playlist:

1. Mick Jenkins

Mick Jenkins is so cool, with the release of his mixtape The Water[s] (2016), he began selling bottles of water on his website. What a boss. Jenkins has one of the smoothest flows out there, as he tells stories of his past integrated with the motif of water. Water for Mick Jenkins represents religious themes, the power of healing, and the effect nature has on him. With his jazz-funk beats and avant-garde drum kits, Mick Jenkins reminisces with his audience while bringing back an O.G. groove.

2. Maxo Kream

Maxo Kream represents new-age gangsta rap. As a literal hit-man, Maxo shapes his music to be as hard and edgy as his lifestyle. His most recent mixtape The Persona Tape (2016) is full of crisp trap beats and fast flows. His songs "Hit Mane" and "Karo" will tell you everything you need to know about Maxo, and how his unique voice is built off his flawless ability to mirror his verses to his beats.

3. Isaiah Rashad

A little softer than Maxo Kream, Isaiah Rashad embodies a hybrid of rap and ambient-hop beats. His first album, Cilvia Demo (2014), is calm with distinct rhythms that provide a flow full of stories and perspectives. His most recent album, Free Lunch (2016), is still quieter than most trap and has a great jazz influence within it. Rashad follows the beat of his own drum, and is definitely a new rapper to watch out for. Get ready for his upcoming album.

4. Joey Bada$$

Joey Bada$$ is on his way to the top. Hailing from Brooklyn, this 21-year-old rapper writes some of the best verses out there right now. His album B4.DA.$$ (2015) was a work of genius. The title itself is phenomenally clever and represents his voice perfectly (B4.DA.$$=Before the money, but it also spells out Badass. SO GOOD). His song "Christ Conscious" off of that album is, I will claim, one of the best raps ever performed. The music video is compiled with a ton of sacred geometry, which visually captures the religious themes he delves into with his rhymes. I strongly recommend sitting down and listening to Joey Bada$$ for hours.

5. Vince Staples

Repping Long Beach, CA, Vince Staples is the music you play for a good night out. His music is consistently becoming more popular, as his talent is undeniable. His most recent album Summertime '06 (2015) is a mixture of eerie, eclectic beats, and some electro funk. His voice is incredibly distinct and really enhances the vibe of his raps. "Norf Norf" and "Blue Suede" are both dangerous songs because you will easily get addicted to them. Vince is the master of catchy choruses and switched up melodies for each of his verses. He always keeps it interesting.

6. Waldo

Waldo is still very underground, but is steadily on the up-and-up. From Grand Rapids, MI, Waldo utilizes mainly SoundCloud to get his music out there. Waldo is an interesting artist, as shown through his 616 Mixtape (2015). 616 is composed of slower, lazy beats that evolve alongside Waldo's flow. His mixtape OUTSDE is evidence of his abilities, as he partnered with producer Sango to create a jumpier, funkier sound. His songs "Purple Heart" and "Wimme Nah (ft. Vic Mensa)" are the epitomes of 'earworms', with their distinct choruses and edgy rhymes.

7. Hopsin

Hopsin has been around a while, (he produced four albums from 2009 to 2015), but his new image is something to take notice of. His new song "Ill Mind of Hopsin 8" is full of revenge and anger, as he describes the toxic relationship he had with his old manager Damien Ritter. From the edgy drum kits and uncommon instrumentals to his slick rhymes, Hopsin has completely reinvented himself to be the individual artist he has always yearned to be. His creativity obviously sparks when he has complete freedom over his music, so we have a lot to look forward to from him.

8. Ab-Soul

Talk about a legend! Ab-Soul's production and general ambiance hooks you immediately, but his evolution as an artist is what keeps you interested. His album Control System (2012) is a jazz-groove hybrid, mixing classic rap techniques with unusual rhyme schemes. His song "Gods Reign (ft. SZA), off his later album These Days (2014), is a testament to how his voice stands out from all the others, even as it grows and changes. Ab-Soul definitely produces albums you should sit down and listen to start to finish.

9. Nacho Picasso

Nacho Picasso is still very underground, but his cartoon-y and quirky style illustrates him as one of the most unique rappers out there. Nacho embodies "stoner rap" with his chiller beats and steady flows. His voice is incomparable to any other artist, but what really hooks you are the stories he shares in his verses. On his album Blunt Raps 2 (2015), Nacho contemplates the power of religion and how fame has affected the spiritual cycle of his life. It's easy to connect with him, especially through his mixtape Trances with Wolves: The Prixtape (2014), as he pours his heart out through clever word play and dark metaphors.

10. Alex Wiley

Alex Wiley's music can be categorized as dope. His energy and ability to spit fast lines keeps his music upbeat and almost creates a new genre of rap itself. His song "Vibration" off the album Village Party (2014) defines his gritty voice as a rapper and also illuminates his fantastic groovy beats. Wiley isn't afraid to invite you on his own personal journeys, as he delves into the question of his purpose on his album Village Party 2: Heavens Gate (2015). He also includes some very philosophical samples that discuss the state of being and consciousness. What a guy.

11. Denzel Curry

Denzel Curry produces incredibly hype, edgy music that perfectly encompasses the attitudes of his rhymes. His song "Ultimate", off the album 32 Zel/Planet Shrooms (2015), is definitely ultimate, as he proclaims his authority as an artist and a known name in Rap. He still shows a great range, as his earlier album Nostalgic 64 (2013) has a 'trippier' sound to it, which mirrors his rhymes about his experiences with drugs. Curry gets pretty dark on this album, and with his use of alliteration and mid-rhymes, he's able to encompass the entire theme of edge.

12. Mac Miller

Many of you already have Mac Miller in your library (i.e. "Donald Trump", Blue Slide Park (2011)), but his new music is what is really special. His mixtape Faces (2014) is one of, I believe, the most genius albums created, as it is dedicated to experimentation both within his personal life and his raps. His use of samples and the input of his star studded cast of features makes the album perfectly eclectic. It is definitely more personal than his earlier work, but it proves that Mac is around to stay. His older mixtapes, including Macadelic (2012), are still great works that helped him establish his voice as he rose up to the top. Don't underestimate him, he's got a lot to prove. (Also, check out his jazz-themed alter-ego Larry Fisherman).