12 Must See Netflix Shows To Binge-Watch This Christmas Break

Need a new show to watch over the break? This list has a variety of genres, where you're sure to find at least one great show to binge-watch.

16
Tylersticka

1. How I Met Your Mother

I had seen this show before, but had never gone through the whole series. So, freshman year of college, I decided to binge-watch it. This is one of my favorites!

The storyline follows the early adulthood of Ted Moseby and his gang of friends through flashbacks. The current time in the story is him as a middle-aged man telling a series of stories to his teenage kids about how he met their mother.

This show is a must watch all the way 'til the end! There are 9 seasons, but you need to watch until the end to find out all of the answers. It isn't a hard watch, though, the characters will become your onscreen best friends and you won't want to turn it off.

2. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Another show that I got into freshman year of college was Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. My roommate freshman year introduced me to the show. If you're looking for comedy, this is the show for you.

This is the story of Kimmy Schmidt, who had a rocky childhood, adolescence, and early adulthood. She moves to a new city and has to learn to navigate as an adult in the real world.

I'm currently on the second season. I have not yet heard if the show will be picked up for a third season.

3. Pretty Little Liars

This has been one of my favorites since high school. If you want a show that is full of drama, and also mystery this is definitely it. It will always have you on the edge of your seat, and you'll never know what to expect next.

It follows the lives of four teenage girls Aria, Hanna, Spencer, and Emily as they try to lead normal lives after their best friend Alison goes missing. They are targeted by someone who likes to call themselves 'A' and harass the girls. In the most recent season, season 7, the show flashes forward five years after their high school graduation and we continue to watch their lives progress. The second half of season 7 is set to premiere next year on Freeform (formerly ABC family), and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

4. The Walking Dead

My boyfriend got me hooked on this show a couple of years ago. It is a drama, action filled show. It is, however, a little gory. So, if you have a weak stomach, it might not be for you. If you enjoy gore, then you've just found the show for you!

The Walking Dead follows a group of the last living survivors of a zombie apocalypse. The group is led by Rick Grimes, who was a sheriff before the apocalypse began. The group is out there doing all they can to survive. We meet and lose many characters along the way. I can't really say more without giving any spoiler alerts, but it is definitely an addictive, must watch show. I haven't missed an episode since I started watching.

The show's first 6 seasons are available on Netflix. Season 7 currently airs Sunday nights at 9/8c on AMC. The mid-season finale airs December 9, 2016. Season 7 is set to pick back up next year.

5. Grey's Anatomy

I just started watching this show this semester with my roommate. This show has been big for a while now, so we decided to check it out and see what all of the buzz was about. As it turns out, we've become addicted. We watched it for about 3.5 hours straight the other day, which is all of the free time we ever have.

We are only on season 2 of 9, but are already hooked.

This show follows the life of Meredith Grey, who starts out as an intern surgeon at Seattle Grace Hospital. On her first day of work, she gets a huge surprise involving her personal life. Throughout the show, we meet the other interns, surgeons, and patients at the hospital. This is as far of a synopsis as I have based on my own knowledge of the show, thus far. But, once you start watching it, you can't stop and you'll be feeling like a doctor in no time.

6. Criminal Minds

This show is one of mine and my parents all time favorite shows. It can be a little scary, though, because it is a show full of criminal acts. So, if you get scared easily, don't watch it alone or right before bed.

The show follows the Behavioral Analysis Unit for the FBI as they solve their cases. The show is full of suspense, action, some comedic one-liners, and even some fun, interesting facts from one of the main characters, Dr. Spencer Reid.

There are 11 seasons on Netflix currently, and the show is in the middle of season 12. This season is currently airing on CBS Wednesday nights at 8/7c.

7. Bob's Burgers

If you're a college student who likes cartoons, this is a good option. Although it is a cartoon, it includes adult humor for young adults. My current roommate introduced me to this show last year, and it is a good show to watch after a scary movie or scary episode of a television show to bring your mind back to the real world. The show can be watched in random order, or in the correct episode order.

The show follows the crazy antics of the Belcher family. Bob Belcher, the dad, owns a Burger restaurant. Lynn, the mom works there, also, along with their three kids, Tina, Gene, and Louise. Tina is in her puberty phase, Gene is a few years younger, and Louise is the youngest but the funniest member of the family.

Netflix has all episodes up to season 5, but up to season 7 has already been filmed and can be found on fox.com. The show will continue airing on Fox, Sunday, December 25th at 7/6c.

8. Parks and Rec

Parks and Rec is another comedic option, that will keep you laughing. The way the show is filmed, the characters often speak into the camera which brings you into the show with them. The same as Bob's Burgers, I like to watch these episodes out of order, but you can watch them in the correct episode order, as well.

The show is about a team of people who work in the Parks and Recreation office of the city of Pawnee. They have plenty of crazy, fun things up their sleeve. They sometimes get on each other's nerves, but in the end, they all worked together as a great team. Amy Poehler plays the lead character, Leslie Knope, who is optimistic and determined.

The show ended in 2015, and all 7 seasons are on Netflix.

9. FRIENDS

This show is a classic. When the show came out, I was very young, but I remember watching many episodes of it. I have recently decided to start watching it again from the beginning.

This show is about a group of 6 friends living in New York City. The characters are all in their twenties. The show basically follows them throughout their many adventures in jobs, relationships, and all that life entails.

Netflix has all 10 seasons of the show, which ended in 2004.

10. Saved By the Bell

This is another great throwback show. I used to watch this one as a kid, as well, but would like to re-watch the entire show.

Saved By the Bell, follows a group of high school friends throughout their crazed teenage years and everything that comes along with that. Just as in Parks and Rec, the main character Zac, can talk to the camera. This makes the audience feel that they are included in the show, also. This group of teens are comedic, but great lessons can be taught by going through life with them.

The show aired from 1989 to 1993, and Netflix has all 6 seasons.

11. Fuller House

Full House is another great throwback show, however, it is not available to watch on Netflix. Lucky for us '90s kids, a spin-off show, titled 'Fuller House', was created for Netflix.

This show follows the adult lives of DJ and Stephanie Tanner and DJ's best friend Kimmie. The show also features appearances from some of the other main cast members from the original show. This show has comedy, romance, as well as teaching lessons. It is very similar to the original, but has a nice modern twist.

Netflix has season 1 already available, and season 2 is set to premiere on Netflix December 9 of this year, which is just in time for Christmas Break binge-watching.

12. Young and Hungry

Young and Hungry is a great modern comedy for young adults. It is a great coming of age show for those in their later teens and early twenties.

The show follows the life of Gabi Diamond (played by childhood favorite Emily Osment from Hannah Montana). Gabi and her roommate Sophia are in their early twenties and trying to make careers for themselves. They encounter many real-life issues with work, relationships, friendships, living space, and vehicles. The show gives solutions and life-lessons for all of these situations.

The show's first 4 seasons are available on Netflix. The show has been picked up for a fifth-season by Freeform (formerly ABC family). The new season is set to premiere next year.

I tried to give a brief synopsis of each show in my own words without giving away any spoilers. I hope that you'll all enjoy these shows as much as I do.