12 Mistakes College Students Will Make Before They Graduate

I'm here for the free pizza.

112
Unsplash

College is supposed to be some of the greatest years of your life. A time to party hard, make new friends and enhance your skills that will be useful for the real world. It'll go by faster than high school with your bank account constantly in the red and you will get countless hours of sleep yet you will still feel like you barely got any rest. Although you will probably strive for straight A's, you're bound to make mistakes.

Now that you're in college, you are now 100% responsible for yourself and you will need to mature a lot faster now that you are on your own. While some mistakes can be avoided with a little common sense, others can be used as lessons. Adulthood is hard especially when you're new to it. Just remember that you are not alone and here are thirteen mistakes some college students make.

1. Treating college classes like high school classes

One of the first things you’ll notice getting to college is that college classes are nothing like high school classes. Professors have certain expectations from you and assume you will meet them. In many classes, attendance isn’t mandatory. Tests are much fewer and far between, sometimes just consisting of a midterm and final. A professor won’t say anything if you have to leave class to answer your phone or use the bathroom. You can just get up and go.

You are much more independent, and you will find that they will let you get away with a lot more. It’s now up to you to keep track of time and keep up with any deadlines. Professors will treat you like an adult, but they also expect you to act like an adult. Show up to class, come prepared, and take responsibility for your actions.

2. Partying on Sundays

For some reason, this trend is growing, and students are staying out late past midnight on Sundays. The next morning, the college campus looks like a zombie apocalypse, with students dragging their feet over to class, many hungover, but others just lacking much-needed rest. Please party responsibly.

3. Not getting to know your professors

Professors are often the experts in their field, with most of them holding PhDs in work that they are passionate about. They love to talk about their work, and there is a lot to gain by listening to them. Professors make great mentors, people who you can stay in contact with for the rest of your life.

Through your professors, you’ll have made many connections for jobs, research opportunities, scholarships, and graduate school recommendations. Moreso, by building a relationship with your professor, they are more likely to give you a glowing, detailed recommendation when you apply for a job or scholarship. Graduate schools look more favorable at students who are known by their professors. It suggests that they are really there to learn and make the most of their college experience

4. Spending loan money inappropriately

When you receive your loan check, keep this in mind—in no way, shape, or form is it your money. The banks fool you by putting your name on the check. You think you're major now. Three meals a day, the hottest sneakers, and drinks on you at the club should not be expensed to your financial aid account.

5. Cutting class

Because all of the PowerPoint slides are available online, often times you won’t see the point of actually sitting through a lecture. Unless you are registered for an online-only course, you need to attend all of your classes. It is possible but unlikely you will pass all of your class simply by reading the notes. It is also highly unlikely that your professor will send a text alert to your phone when you have a pop quiz.

Walk away from Netflix or your gaming console and get your ass to class!

Taking early morning classes
You’ll probably spend many nights hopped up on energy drinks and cramming for exams. Most of the time during an 8 a.m. class your professor is annoyed she has to be there at that time, your TA is not about that early bird life, and your classmates are either snoring through the lecture or having shaking fits due to caffeine withdrawal.

Unless you get a great night’s rest the night before (which is highly unlikely) you won't be alert enough to concentrate during class. Free yourself from that high school schedule and sleep in. Everyone is in a better mood after 10 a.m. anyway.

6. Not taking advantage of the library

The library is actually very useful believe it or not. You know what the library is full of? A lot of free stuff. Free computer time, free resources, free presentation rooms, peace and quiet; there is a multitude of things available in the library at no cost to you. Though it's a prime location for studying, it is also good for naps.

7. Not taking advantage of free things

One of the biggest perks of being a college student is the array of discounts and freebies that become available to you. Avoid paying for items you can get for free. Pass on the expensive, monthly gym membership and take advantage of the campus gym. Skip your weekly trip to the movies and check out the free movie nights on campus.

8. Not reading the syllabus

At the beginning of the semester, your professor should give a full layout of the course and you should rely on the syllabus to keep track of dates and deadlines, be informed of the lesson of the day, and understanding how your professor wants you to complete assignments. The syllabus also has your professor’s contact information and office hours you can take advantage of.

9. Majoring in something based on pay and not passion

The only thing worse than switching your major numerous times beyond your sophomore year is enduring the torture of a degree program you aren't into. Maybe you majored in biology because your parents said you make a six-figure salary and it was the practical thing to do. Now you’re dreading going to class and practically dying every time you’re given a scalpel for a dissection.
Yes, certain careers tend to have better starting salaries than others. For example, if you’re passionate about teaching English to kids, why would you pursue electrical engineering? Remember that college is not only about educational advancement, but it's a financial investment in your future. Don't waste your money or time learning about topics that beget your apathy. No one wants a surgeon who hates his job.

10. Taking in more than you can handle

There are many reasons why a lot of students take so many classes in one semester. Maybe you're taking a bunch of classes because, after 15 credits, the rest are free. Maybe you’re just trying to get all of your Gen Ed requirements out of the way. By overloading yourself with a ridiculous amount of coursework, you're bound to be overwhelmed and chances are, you'll underperform.

11. Trying to maintain your high school relationship

No one is telling you to break up with your high school sweetheart, but consider yourself warned that most long-distance college relationships don’t end well. The problem? Students tend to put too much time and energy into maintaining the relationship, and they don’t get as involved in the college experience. To truly make the most of the next four years, spend as much time as possible focused on your surroundings, your education and your new friends.

12. Racking up credit card debt

Credit cards should not be used to splurge or to fill in the gaps within your budget. Credit card debt generated during college can affect your credit score for years to come. Ultimately, it can hurt your chances of getting things like a car loan or mortgage down the road. Spend wisely and always pay on time.