No, Modern Day Feminism Is NOT The Solution To Gender Inequality

We must shut down radical feminists.

205

The passing of the 19th Amendment back in 1919 that gave women the right to vote did not come easily. There were many strong, passionate women who fought for the cause. Those women, who were striving for gender equality back then, could be considered real feminists. What we refer to as "feminism" today, isn't exactly what the first feminists had in mind for the movement. No, modern day feminism is NOT the answer to gender inequality.

The true definition of feminism is the belief that men and women should be treated as equals in every aspect of life. Sure, that's what feminism is supposed to mean, but is that what it really means today? Not really. So many radical feminists have taken this wonderful movement and transformed it into an excuse to degrade and belittle men.

Is it unfair that women, on average, make about $0.81 to a man's dollar for performing the same work? Of course it is. But are the men who are receiving more really to blame? I'm not so sure about that. As much as we hate to hear it, the patriarchy is deeply ingrained into our roots and society, even now. There are just as many women who still believe that "a woman's place is in the home" or that a man "should be the breadwinner" in the family.

I, for one, do not believe either of those statements to be true. I believe that everyone should have freedom to choose what role they wish to play in a family or relationship - nobody should be expected to abide by today's gender roles.

The underlying causes for gender inequality are abundant, but that doesn't mean we can't do something about it. However, feminism is not the answer. If we ever want this issue to be truly solved, we must all work together for a common cause. We must shut down radical feminists who degrade men simply because they are men. We must educate the public on these issues. Ignorance will only breed more ignorance. In order to dismantle the patriarchy, both men and women must work together, not against one another, for the common cause of equality.