11 Things That I Wish That I Could Tell My Younger Self

The best is yet to come!

44
Marie Sugio

It's winter break and I had some time to relax at home, so I decided to read all of my yearbooks and look at the old pictures from my childhood. While taking a trip down memory lane, I was shocked to realize how fast we grew up. When I was younger, I often imagined what my future would be like or how I would be as an adult. Now I'm already living in that future. 20-year-old me doesn't have all of the answers to the questions that younger me had, but I have some messages that I wish that I could go back and tell my younger self.

1. Adults don't know everything.

You think that adults would know everything and that we don't cry, but we don't know much and we cry too sometimes. It's okay that you don't know everything, you will figure it out slowly.

2. Your natural hair color looks the best.

This is something that I have to tell my future self too because I keep forgetting and I keep changing the color!

3. Be nice to your mother.

I know that you're just a teenager and it's completely normal to be selfish and whiny, but listen to me and treat your mother nicer. Being mean to her is the biggest regret that I have in my life now. Friends are important, but family comes first.

4. You are beautiful.

I know that you struggled in being confident because you didn't have the perfect body or the wavy hair that you wanted, but when I look at the old pictures you are so beautiful, especially when you are smiling or laughing.

5. Learn how to say "no."

You were always too nice, but sometimes saying "no" really is important. Stay charming and kind, but also sassy.

6. Write in your diary.

You don't have to, but it's pretty hilarious to read.

7. People come and go.

No matter how much you love them, sometimes people leave. You will leave someone who you love, too. Don't blame it on yourself or her or him. This doesn't mean that you have to stop loving them, you still will, but in a different way and I'm proud of you for that.

8. Don't get that expensive shirt to impress your friends.

There are only a few things that you bought that I still have and the belt from a certain brand isn't one of them. Oh and the wig you bought because you wanted super long hair was the dumbest thing you have ever gotten, you paid $50 to look like a hobo.

9. You don't always have to be happy.

Don't get me wrong, I do want you to be happy all the time and I wish that you never had to cry, but sad moments also have meanings. You will cry a lot, but every time you will become a little stronger. You will get hurt a lot, but then you learn how it feels to be hurt and every time you will become a little kinder. Don't be afraid of the darkness, because that's where the seeds grow.

10. Sing, sing and sing.

Music will always understand you and cheer you up. When you're feeling blue you just have to sing out loud and you are all set. Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder move your body, Disney is easy to sing along with and pretend that you're someone else, and old tunes and smooth jazz will calm you down and make you feel free. Music is your best friend and if you ever need help it is always there for you!

11. Enjoy what you have now.

Nothing lasts forever and you will miss a lot of things that you took for granted. It's funny how you couldn't wait to be an adult, but now I wish that I didn't have to be an adult. Enjoy every minute so that you won't regret anything later.

We both have so many things ahead of us, great things and bad things, but I know that we are going to be great because we are strong. I've seen you going through difficult times and there are so many times when you thought that you wanted to give up, but you kept running. The best is yet to come!