11 Ways To #OptOutside This Black Friday

Don't spend your day cooped up in some stuffy, crowded mall, opt outside instead.

24
twitter.com/REI

Black Friday. The biggest shopping day of the year. Millions across the country will line up outside major retailers and malls in the wee hours of the morning to get the biggest discounts on clothes, electronics and more.

What a nightmare. Instead of offering discounts, specials and promotions this Black Friday, outdoor retailer REI is closing its doors Friday and encouraging it's customers to #OptOutside. Don't hit the mall, don't spend the day cramped between angry shoppers and frustrated retail employees: hit the outdoors instead. Since the success of last year's Opt Outside campaign, more brands have partnered with REI to encourage their following to do the same. Looking to start a new tradition this Black Friday? Here are 11 ways to #OptOutside this Black Friday.

1. Hang at the park with family and friends

It can be easy as spending a day with family at the park. Meet up with friends, pack a cooler, bring along a football. You don't need to travel far to enjoy the greatest outdoors your hometown has to offer.

2. Mountain bike your local trail

If you love to bike, find a local trail and get going! Experience the beauty of your local nature preserves, trails or beaches and get great exercise at the same time.

3. Go fishing

Whether you head out to the river to fly fish or spend the offshore searching for tuna or snapper, there's no such thing as a bad day of fishing.

4. Take a sunrise hike

While millions line up in the dark in front of Walmart and Best Buy, find a hiking spot to catch the early morning sunrise. Pack a blanket, some coffee and book and start your day off in the great outdoors.

5. Have a lake day

If you're not held up by several inches of snow in the northeast, a day on the lake is an awesome way to #OptOutside. Lakes and rivers often offer tube rentals, paddleboards and kayaks. Just don't forget to pack sunscreen!

6. Hit the beach

Spend your day in the sun and sand this Black Friday at your nearest beach. Check the weather first, pack some beach blankets and maybe even start a small bonfire. Wrap up with a book and blanket, and enjoy the salty sea air.

7. Shred at the local skatepark

Looking for something a bit more adventurous? If you can skate (or your interested in learning how), visit your local skatepark! Shred a bit, pump up the adrenaline and hang with friends- making earn a few cuts and bruises along the way.

8. Have a backyard barbecue

You don't need to go far from home to spend the day outside. You might be burned out with cooking for Thanksgiving, but why not make use of those leftovers and host a Thanksgiving-Leftovers potluck.

9. Go rollerblading with your best friend

For all the rollerbladers out there, plan a friend-date to skate down the boardwalk on your trusty rollerblades. Throw on some shades and enjoy the sunshine.

10. Plan a camping trip

Take advantage of the Holiday weekend and take a camping trip! Find your local camping ground or make it a road trip and explore what the outdoors has to offer. The holiday season is about spending time with the ones you love

11. Take your dog on an adventure

This year, REI partnered with Subaru to encourage customers to #OptOutside with your dog. Take them on a walk, on your camping trip or to the beach, take a photo and caption it #OptOutside and #MakeADogsDay. With every post, Subaru will donate to the ASPCA.

How will you #OptOutside this Black Friday?